Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-31-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 1/31 LJ goes....

....quiet. Launched at 5:30 into short interval small surf. Got out clean as a whistle and headed to the pier. Bait was scratchy but managed a half dozen. On the way to the spot I saw what at first looked like a boil. Looked more carefully and thought it looked like a whale footprint. Sure enough, big gray surfaced 100yds up. Followed the big fellow across the canyon and started working the bottom. Nothing doing. No hits, no runs, no errors. Some bait on the surface but with no meter I have no idea what was going on below. Landing was ugly at high tide. Was just setting up for the final sprint when saw a set of three nasty ones coming. Pulled up and over the first two but the third broke over my back and soaked me. Got in okay but that was about as close to a problem as I've had since Colonet. Water in the street. Nice morning but real slow for the half dozen or so guys out.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
PlasticSkipper

I launched around 6:00am, metered lots of bait hanging around 80-90ft in 120ft deep water. Worked a 6xjr on one rod and 99 ranch market squid on another until about 8:00am and then bailed to get to work. Caught one sandy on the squid. The landing was tricky, I timed it good and chased in a smaller wave but still got dumped in 3ft water by some rogue backwash wave. I had stored all my gear inside so no heartbreak.

BTW, I saw a guy who lost a rod/reel Sunday night, Jim Sammons found it Monday morning, hope you hook up.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
aguachico

picked the right set to launch that turned out to be bad. Sat in the surf for a few sets and got out. Trolled a rapala around, nothing but weeds.
Saw the birds working the corner of the northwest buoy. Landing was hairy, especially the 3 footer that blind sided from the south. Landed wet, but up.

Maybe time to eat calico's for Friday's taco.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
madscientist

Art, sorry I didn't realize that was you out there and say hi. My eyes suck. Heard your warning about the launch as I was heading in. Very nasty short period crap. Making bait at the pier was like being on a rollercoaster; some of the big rollers gave that falling feeling. Hate those high tide landings when it's like that.

Might sneak out early tomorrow for a PM ghost/bug session, otherwise my next shot is probably Thurs AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
aguachico

Brad;
no problem. I saw you out there - but was too lazy to paddle. Did you see my friend "big John" McVey? He's in a sunset colored prowler. He has an internal bait tank.
I'll be out Friday.
AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
PlasticSkipper

Did you hear the guys yelling ya-hoo around 7:00am? I thought it was someone hooking a fish until I saw it was those two paddle board guys that launched from the Shores. They were riding swells about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off Boomers. They both caught a couple and then paddled back to the Shores. I wouldn't have believed it....

Off topic:
On Sunday, the dogs were flipping me off.

Look closer at the middle of this picture, that section is coming down soon. I shared a couple photos with the owner, not much he can do about it. He lost a big chunk of his back yard several years ago.
PlasticSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
madscientist

Yeah, he landed right after me.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Ryan The Sealion

I got busted off on 30lb. after a short fight.. felt like the right kind tho..reverse D-loop w/ mack..then I realized I had pushed my leverdrag past strike and into full by accident :x no wonder it was towin me and taking no line.. nothin but a weak short hit after that.. and yeah I got tossed outta my yak on the landing

brad I thought you were toast when I saw you backpeddling on ur landing..good recovery
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
Useful Idiot

Thanks for the extra squid there plastic skipper. Same kinda story for me, yo yo'd in 110-120 for most of the day and then moved into 60, 70 near the kelp for nuthin. I concur with the landing conditions, kept it upright but had to eject a little early.
-Brian
Useful Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote