Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 2/7 PM

Went to work early so I could get out early. Hit the water a little after 3:30 and dropped the empty nets on the spot, then went fishing. Worked around the usual yoyo spots but only found macs everywhere. Sabiki'd several dozen as a friend needed bait. Watched the sunset with a live bait drifting, hoping for some lucky WSB action, but nothing but dogs and whales. Headed to the nets, baited em up, and watched the big swells break closer than we'd like. Crawl started with some nonsense...

But the bugs soon followed. Pretty good action with many multi-bug pulls. Lots of just shorts and lots of crawdads. Couple big spider crabs that this guy wanted to wrestle with.

Ended up with seven by 8:00PM. Think I'll do it again tonight solo, minus the fishing. Good night when you limit and come home with more bait than you started with.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

My account of the evening...

Got to the launch to ideal conditions, felt like the old summer PM shifts, light winds, seriously only 6 inch surf, glassy, and decent visibility along the shoreline. I saw a 5 lb Halibut kick up some sand and scoot off.

Met up with Ken, and Bad who were marvelling at the awesome sunset, and making some bait. Thanks to Brad, who stocked me up with fresh Saba!! Later Mark showed up. BIG SURF pounded children's pool, I saw spray come off the waves that was at least 10 ft in the air, let alone the huge swells that rolled in, and broke on the shoreline. Once the sun went down, I began to pull my nets.

The bugs were crawling, got 7 legals, actually had to cull one back to the ocean, as on one of my last pulls, I got the biggest of the night. I was stoked! On one pull, I sent back 7 shorts, but they were all about 1/8 inch short, and one molt away from ending up on the grill.

I had about 30 shorts, most all of which were just short, and should be ready to harvest hopefully before the season ends.

Paddled in to 6inch surf, ran into Pat, and his lady friend on an evening stroll, good seeing you guys. Left Brad, Ken, and Mark to the bugs. I think my nets are beginning to pay themselves off!

BTW: off the water by 7:30PM...

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
potto

Nice catch guys.

Now I have the jones to get back out again.
potto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Wow

Good job guys. Man are we green :mrgreen: .
Old 02-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
dmr

Very nice late season action. Congrats.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
T-Rex

Nice limits guys. Hope they're still crawling Fri night!
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
phreshwon
PHRESHWON

Those Spider crab legs are horrible when steamed. Make sure you call me when you get another one so I can dispose of it properly :lol:
phreshwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Beautiful evening with the chuckleheads.

Sunset-

Holy Mackerel and phreshwon getting ready to drop 'em down-

Chris, next time try to stay out of Brad's spots! :roll:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Wish I could've made it out, looks like the conditions were better, good to see that Neptune rewarded you.
Please save some for me...by the time I get back out, the ones you tossed back might just be legal.
Nice pics, bringing the digi next time I'm out.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote