Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
madscientist

LJ 2/2 AM...the usual

Launched behind Arne into the tail end of a lull. Some nasty rolelrs were forming up but I had just enough of a jump on them to get out unscathed. Tried to warn A&J, who were getting ready to go behind me, but they didn't have a radio and I guess had fun playing in the surf. 8)

Marked a mac school just outside the buoy and got one, but they were moving around. Got out past the squid zone with not much showing and set up to drift with the offshore. Picked some lizards then drifted into big school of greenies. Plugged the boat with lobster bait. Finally, Ifeel a bounce and look back to see the trap rig rod bent over.

Feel some bounces and shakes and start to get excited. Its not really running but is definitely heavy, no sandie or other nonsense. Keep the drag really loose and slowly work it up. Gaff at the ready, I'm hoping for beautiful flatness but it turns into a 25lb BSB. Boy, do I have these things dialed in. Oh well, easy release and he's off. Took some pics, may post later.

Paddled over to Arne further out and we chatted and worked the bottom for nada. Paddled in and saw the ocassional mark here or there, but no bites. Beautiful morning once the sun came up but otherwise slow. Landing was not too bad, just a matter of timing. Incoming tide snuck up on me as I was loading up so I'm sitting at work with wet and sandy legs and feet looking like a dumbass. May try tomorrow.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
F'nArne

A whole lotta nothin' today. I got out clean just before the big thumpers started pounding on Brad, Aaron & Julie. I went light, thinking I'd toss an iron and look for one piece of bait to drop down. Spent most of my time looking for that one piece of bait. Finally got one and sent it down to an immediate rip - bait came back shredded. Borrowed a couple pieces from Brad for nothing and called it a day.

Tide was coming in quick with some good sets at the landing ... but plenty of time to make it in.
F'nArne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
skiffman

02/02/06

Lots of birds and bait North and West in 250'. Big macks on smaller stuff.
Metered some squid in 125' near Decembers spot. No big marks so I moved on. Saw the birds working inside the kelp and south by Horseshoe. Good Calico fishing for 2 hours from 10:00 - 12:00. Best went 5.1lbs. Mostly 2's and 3's. All but one on Fish Traps. One on Kicker 25 surface iron. 20 total, all released. Aaron and Julie have a story. Nice to meet you both. Water 56- 58, clean green. Kelvin
Old 02-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Wet and black

It was nice meeting you Kelvin, and you too Brad.
We appreciate you trying to warn us Brad about those incoming rollers. A radio and fish finder are on our "to get" list. But, those waves were not fun at all. Julie believes she took a dozen to the kisser. Aaron got a little bit luckier.
After our morning shower we went toward the pier for bait. Made all we needed for the day (6-8" greenies). Made our way south past all the other yakkers. Aaron nailed a nice rockfish on a jig. Then we went north and met up with Brad and Arne. None of us were catching squat.
About 10:30AM we sprinted south a half mile when we saw birds working. Apparently, we found the calicos Kelvin was catching, working on baitfish.
Back north again. Fished the bottom as the west wind pointed us to the launch.
Finally, Aaron hooks something large. Kelvin was nearby and watched the battle. One helluva fight later, up comes a big bloated BSB.

Unfortunately, he forgot to fart. After 15 minutes or so and with Kelvin's help (and anchor) we were finally able to get that fish down. Off goes Kelvin. And then 10 minutes later Aaron's fighting another BSB. This one was smaller, closer to 60lbs. No problem getting this guy down.
At the beach about 3:30PM, small surf, easy landing.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
madscientist

None of my pics this morning came out too great, but this is the best of the bunch. My nice hali-oh-crap-its-a-black.

madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote