Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
madscientist

1/31 buggin

Wasn't getting anything done at work so decided to join friends hoopin. One of those nights where Poseidon seemed to have it out for me. As I try to launch, my nets almost fall off the front. With the extra drag every wave stops me dead in my tracks so it takes me forever to punch through the surf. I think I've cleared it and go to adjust the nets, when I see a big breaker forming way out. Yikes! Paddle like mad and just get over the top of it as it begins to break.

Get out to the spots to find decent breakers at the low tide. Hmmm. Realize I forgot my bait cages and also that my mac/sardine bait bag is still rock hard frozen. Do my best to zip tie bait into the nets but half of them are empty of bait on the first pull. Finally get them more or less sorted out, then the next series of troubles begins.

One pull produces a nice looking bug, but also a big moray. Takes some doing but I get the moray out and get the net on board. As I reach for the critter he shoots to the side of the net and finds the only hole, plop and gone. Crap! One of the next pulls produces a short, but also a big ass sculpin that I almost didn't see. Damn! Then, as I go to check another net, I hear a seal breathing. Look down to finds a baby seal right next to me. Kind of startles me. I try to nudge it but its coming at me and is trying to climb INTO THE YAK. WTF! I beat it in the head with my paddle and it finally goes away. What next? How bout this. Another pull, some bugs, as I fling it on board I see a rather large shark veer off from the yak. Holy crap, time to get the feet out of the water.

Can this evening get any more exciting? Uh, yeah. Go to check my second most inside net. As I get to it I look back and think "What is that black stuff blocking the sky?". Wall of water...OH CRAP! Go up and over it, feeling the spray as it begins to break. Look down swell to see it break on my inside net. Great. Note to self, don't put nets down in the surf zone.

Managed to round up 4 legal bugs in between the heartstoppers. Heading in there was one more thrill. Thought I was well out side the surf, just cruising looking for the timing, when suddenly the yak is picked up and the nose starts to pearl. Damn, big outside breaker. Feet over and lean back and I manage to pull out of it. Chris is not so lucky and eats it, but everything was stowed/leashed. Tough conditions.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
vellocity

you're a madman..
you spend the MOST time out there night or day than anyone.....SO you would experience EVERYTHING LaJolla's got to offer!!!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Afran
fishy

Wow. That's a good night man.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
madscientist

Where you been Nelz? Haven't seen you in a while.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Here is my account of events:

Got to the launch only to see a washing maching, with a few widow maker waves coming through. Very small windows, current was dragging my kayak south, and knocked some of my nets in the water. About 5 mins, finally saw a window, and got out dry. Saw two figures paddling towards me, turned out to be Ken, and Mark.

Madscientist showed up, and everyone began to set up, big swells, got my nets down, and began fishing for WCB points... One hit, fish spit chartruese grub... went back to buggin... It was definately hairy out there...

Caught the last part of the sunset...

Later Martin showed up, and the bugs began to crawl... I ended up with four nice legals, and released about 6 shorts.

Only two eels tonight, almost landed in my yak again... :shock: Someone else had this difficulty tonight! :P Also a 6ft fin sighting, everyone pulled their toes in for the rest of the evening. I believe everyone came up with bugs, I had the hot nets tonight topping with four legals.

Landed to seemingly small surf, at the last minute, I look back as a 4ft black wall was begining to lift my stern, I leaned back, began to surf, but my 16ft boat began to pearl, I was knocked over, nets, FF, everything in the water. I got everything back, my bass rod snapped, but it was a cheapie... My game bag was ok, so I was happy!

waggin' hoops,

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
steveooo

Chris, were those AAA batteries legal?!?
I'd hate to get pulled over with shorts in the boat... :?
Sounds like fun out there, Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Where you been Nelz? Haven't seen you in a while.
hey guys, good job on the bugs!!! saw some divers yesterday walking up Sunset Cliffs with limits! they said they were being choosey too, picking only the BIG ones!

been busy with work
been trying to get my work schedule opened up long enough to jump on a Hurricane bank LR trip... which hasn't been working out and i'm running out of LR season!
i've been surfing and training.... going to Hawaii next week for the rest of the month for my bizz and to find out if i still remember how to surf ops:

i'm gonna get out there before i leave on my trip..
you going Friday AM huh?
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocity
you going Friday AM huh?
I could be. You definitely out then?