Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
madscientist

LJ 1/29 nothing but the bugs

Trying to empty the freezer of bait so it was back on night patrol for me. Got out before sunset to get the nets baited and dropped on the outside of the booming breakers. Super low tide kept me off my preferred spots but I made my best guess (damn FF still in the shop...this sucks). Short interval steep swell and downhill current made it tricky to get the right amount of line set. Got them all down and was preparing to enjoy the sunset when I see a dog thrashing something on the surface. Mofo!, damn thing stole my YT head out of one net and shredded another. Chased him just for the hell of it and did my best to ziptie some more bait into the shredded net.

Sun went down and I started the pulls. First run thru, goose egg (other than a tiny calico). Second run thru, one short. Third cycle, finally a good pull with 3, one legal. Couple nets kept snagging on rocks because the current made it tough to get on top of them. Finally managed a clean pull and, holy shit, 7 bugs (my new single net record). Only one legal though. Slow pick from there on out, but put together a catch. They started drinking on the way home...

...and once there they wanted more. Since they only drink a little and I get the rest, I indulged them...

This guy was so hammered he kept spilling his...

and this guy only wanted the hard stuff!

Once soused they all took a nice steam bath in some more tecate. Anyone got any killer bug recipes (apart from the usual boil or grill)? Made some lobster enchiladas today for lunch, my wife made some lobster cakes which were terrific, and I make a good lobster alfredo over linguine but I'd like to add some new recipes to my repertoire.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
aguachico

Brad, you own LJ. Hats off to you. What's up with FF? Damn brass connectors are not made for yakin!

AC
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
madscientist

Not the connectors, the unit has some water in it and the screen is acting up. Only 2 months old. Sucks!
Old 01-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Nice haul, I wanna try later this week.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
Dennis

Brad,
Did you get your ff from WestMarine? How about the warranty? I thought you'd be able to just switch it out, no questions asked...
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #6
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1
Brad,
Did you get your ff from WestMarine? How about the warranty? I thought you'd be able to just switch it out, no questions asked...
-D
Apparently not. They sent it back to lowrance. Gonna yell at them some more today.

Andy, Let me know if/when you are planning to hoop. Always more fun with company.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
mizu
Junior

hi,brad

Try Sashimi or Carpaccio.

I personaly like eat them in raw better than boiling or baking.

I also like to cook them in Chinese chile souce.

lobster alfredo over linguine sounds very good!
I will try that one next time,Thanks!

Naoki
mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu
hi,brad

Try Sashimi or Carpaccio.

Naoki
Thanks for the tip. I never considered them for sashimi, but I always like the raw sweet shrimp in the restaurants so I guess its not much different. Any particular tricks to slicing them?

Chinese chili sauce? That reminds me that I had a great lobster curry in a thai place once. Might have to break out the sticky rice and nampla.

I originally did the alfredo with snow or king crab, but it works great with the lobster as well. With homemade pasta it is divine, but that's a bit of work.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

I'm sure there are many chile sauces sold, but this one is sold in most local supermarkets.

Sriracha chile sauce-

Mixed with mayonaise it makes a quick and tasty sauce for fish tacos.

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote