Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
CKallday71

Suggestions for first time in the salt?

Ok, well I took the Fish N Dive out on the water for the first time today, it was Corona lakes (Don't judge). I wanted to get some seat time before risking life and limb on the ocean.

The Verdict? Like a Yellowtail hanging off the iron I'm hooked! Even thought I didn't catch crap, I had a blast. Though people as white as me shouldn't be out in the sun without sunblock. Pro tip for myself, next week, sunblock. Lots and Lots of sunblock. 5 gallon bucket.. sunblock.. yea.

So next Tuesday and Wednesday are my days off and I want to hit the ocean. Where do you learned men and women think that I should take my maiden salt voyage? I don't care what I catch, just want to get some paddle time on the ocean.
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Maybe I'm just outing myself as a one-step-at-a-time kind of guy, but I would suggest the next logical trip might be some time in a Bay before you paddle into the Big Blue by yourself.

The Ocean has currents that you won't experience on a lake, and it's far less forgiving when there's no-one around.

Maybe try Mission Bay, Spanish Landing, or Oceanside Harbor. That way, if you're feeling confident you can still venture outside and get to the "real" ocean.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
MrPatrick

Bay

Bay first ,get to know winds, currents and chop first.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
RobFish
Massive Member

You don't list where you live, but La Jolla is where I recommend.
My reasons...
1. You'll find someone to link up with, so you can ask questions galore, and have a buddy near you in case things get out of control.
2. Next week is supposed to be super mellow re: swells. The launch is easy.
Don't be freaked out by it. Have your gear tied down/tucked away, and go!
The bay is a good idea too as previously mentioned.
Have fun and welcome to the addiction.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
CKallday71

I was thinking the same thing. Any good harbor waters in OC or LA good for Halibut? Actually maybe even take my freshwater gear after some perch.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
FishNinjaY

Where are you located? I'm new too.. and I'll be testing my new yak out next Friday for a few hours at Alamitos Bay (Long Beach, CA), probably Mother's Beach. PM me if you want to come out and drown with me.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

Hit up Dana Point.

Nice easy, protected launch.

Bait available.

Easy to go outside and learn.

Oh by the way........you DO care if you catch something.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
CKallday71

I live in Riverside but I'm mobile. I have a roof rack for my VW Golf and it actually works awesome! Only cuts my MPG by 4 or 5 MPG too, which isn't bad considering mine is a TDI and I typically get 40 MPG.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! And if anybody is going to head out Tuesday or Wednesday next week let me know.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
CKallday71

Here's proof you don't need a truck to tote a yak!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kayak on golf.jpg (52.4 KB, 464 views)
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
madncrzydm

Im free on those days im down to hit up Dana Point.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Bay first ,get to know winds, currents and chop first.
"DITTO" that's how I intend to "break-in" even with a CG skipper's license. I'm afraid there's too much difference between a 65' sport boat & a 12' Kayak. LMAO!!!
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #12
Necron 99

My first time out was Pescado beach in OB. There were big waves coming in and I flipped over four times on the way out! Had a good time at the point Loma kelp, then when I came in the waves had picked up. The surfers out there past the break were looking at me like I was crazy and telling me I'd never make it. I timed the sets and went for it. Came in like a pro. Actually, some guy there asked me if I was a pro and that he'd never made it in at that beach without flipping. I told him he should have seen me going out. It was such a fiasco that a girl brought out a lawn chair, sat down and laughed at me the whole time. The guy helped me carry my yak to the car. Overall, I'd say get your feet wet. But be safe.
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Deamon

Make sure you have the confidence that you can climb back on after rolling. Getting back in a flipped yak (that's loaded down with all your gear) was most difficult. My weather situation was definitely not the best (wind and mixed swell). Hanging rods on leashes...the shock of cold water...wet heavy clothes...grabbing what's trying to float off...I had to try and climb back on at a few angles until successful. Not fun and quickly tiring.

I lobstered in Mission Bay last year and a guy went over. He couldn't get back on his yak after trying a billion times (even with me helping) so he decided to swim back to shore. Imagine if he were outside? The shock and panic set in on him pretty quickly...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Make sure you have the confidence that you can climb back on after rolling. Getting back in a flipped yak (that's loaded down with all your gear) was most difficult. My weather situation was definitely not the best (wind and mixed swell). Hanging rods on leashes...the shock of cold water...wet heavy clothes...grabbing what's trying to float off...I had to try and climb back on at a few angles until successful. Not fun and quickly tiring.

I lobstered in Mission Bay last year and a guy went over. He couldn't get back on his yak after trying a billion times (even with me helping) so he decided to swim back to shore. Imagine if he were outside? The shock and panic set in on him pretty quickly...

good advice.. I'll put some time in at DP and the LAB first. Thanks.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
I live in Riverside but I'm mobile. I have a roof rack for my VW Golf and it actually works awesome! Only cuts my MPG by 4 or 5 MPG too, which isn't bad considering mine is a TDI and I typically get 40 MPG.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! And if anybody is going to head out Tuesday or Wednesday next week let me know.
i have the whispbars on the jetta, and i too love the mpg's...waaay better than the 16-18 in the pickup.
you load the fNd on the bare racks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post

i rolled the yak and found righting it was rather easy. i go the the same route to get a jetski/waverunner back...climb on the yak while it's upside down reach for away from you, grab and slide back into water, body my weight(165#) flips it back over very easily.

free some wed/fri and weekend warrior style too. westLa, hit malibu/sVC.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote