Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Fresh Rock Fish Ceviche

So I would just like to start off by thanking the BWE community in it's entirety; So much learned from all of you, I feel I have to give back in whatever way I can Not trying to Step on Yanni's toes (TheFisherman'sBelly) whatsoever, I just came across this gem of a Ceviche recipe, along with some prime rockfish limits this past weekend, and it only feels right that I pay it forward so you guys may enjoy your fresh catch just as much as my family, and I did. Enjoy

California Pacific Rock Fish Ceviche - Prep Time 35 Minutes (;

You are going to start with 8 Large Sized Limes. If limes are Hard, press them down, and roll on counter in a circular manner as hard as you can, without bruising the fruit; the goal is to release extra juices from the rind or skin. Proceed to use Reamer, Hand Juicer, or simply squeeze the juice out of the 8 limes into a Measuring Cup (Goal is to produce 1 cup of Fresh Lime Juice) 1-3 more limes may be needed depending on size

Then, with 2-3 Lbs. of Fresh, Filleted Rock fish; Reds, Coppers, Sculpins, whatever white/opaque fleshed fish you prefer.. Ensure all bones, skin, scales and bloodlines are removed (Some prefer the bloodlines be left in, this leads to a fishier taste.This recipe calls for bloodlines out, and The Ceviche did not taste "Fishy," one bit) then Proceed to dice into bite sized pieces..

After, you have cut your fish and it is set aside in a large bowl, To Taste, add fresh salt and cracked pepper, then Pour fresh Lime Juice Over... (Some prefer to add onions and other vegetables in with the Lime and Fish Marinade but this recipe called for all the vegetables to be added right before serving so we followed it in that manner)

After you have poured Juice in Bowl, lightly slosh around so juices cover all the fish, then cover bowl immediately in cellophane and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes... (This recipe called for marinading for no longer than 20 minutes due to the fact that prolonged exposure to the acidity puts the fish at risk of falling completely apart)

While the fish is chilling in the lime marinade, in the 'Fridge, Proceed to prepare the vegetables..

-1 Cup of Fresh Tomato (Diced and Seeded)

-1 Cup of Fresh Cucumber (Peeled Diced and Seeded)

-1 Cup of Fresh Red Onion (Peeled, Diced and Seeded)

-1 Cup of Fresh Cilantro Leaves (Removed from Stem and Diced)

-2 Serrano Chile Peppers (De-rib, or remove the white fleshy inside, and dice, leaving desired amount of seeds for added heat)

-1 Large Ripe Avocado (Peeled and Diced)

If the 20 Minutes has surpassed and you are still Struggling with the veggies, set them aside for a second, and tend to the fish marinading.You know the fish has marinated and settled in the acidity of the juices when the fish has taken on a defined and deepend White, Opaque look (Should take no longer than 25 minutes) Remove the cellophane and drain the juices using a strainer, simply pour the fish into the strainer over the sink, do not squeeze the excess juices out of the fish.. If your vegetables are prepared, proceed to the next step, if not, place fish in strainer back in bowl, re cover with cellophane, and chill in fridge until the rest of the veggies are prepared..

Once all items are diced and prepared accordingly, proceed to prepare the Ceviche

Layer each item individually as pictured

Lightly Stir

Uses further spices as needed to taste (Tabasco, Tapatio, Sea Salt Pepper) and Serve!!! We enjoyed this Ceviche with some Freshly Fried Tortilla Chips from the Local Cardenas Market, and could not have chose a better option to pair perfectly with this dish...

NOTE, this dish is best served IMMEDIATELY upon preparation. While on multiple occasions I have enjoyed Day old "Fresh" ceviche with no issues, there was none left to enjoy the day after on this occasion sadly

Hope you Enjoy!!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
kayakfisherman

Stevie, I love it!! Your pics and write up are outstanding.

I've been trying cucumbers in my fresh Mex salsa, but have
never thought about adding them to my ceviche dishes...
Gotta give it a try.

Thanks for sharing. See you on the water.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
I've been trying cucumbers in my fresh Mex salsa, but have
never thought about adding them to my ceviche dishes...
Gotta give it a try.

Thanks for sharing. See you on the water.
Muchos Gracias Mi Amigo!!! Yes, the cucumbers gave it that little bit of crunch to add to the Harmony for sure, Tight lines!!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
Old 05-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
david886720

Damn that looks good. Thanks for sharing
david886720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
DanaPT

stevie, nice prep. looks tasty. I never thought of avocados.

My thought about them is... better eat it all or those cubed avocados may turn that nasty brown color.

By the looks of the dish, having left overs wasn't a problem.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #6
AirborneYak

Looks good!! Let's get some reds on a tandem kayak with one pole, Stevie!!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
Looks good!! Let's get some reds on a tandem kayak with one pole, Stevie!!
Hehe don't touch that man that's not a fishing rod....

And Dana, with my experience in the past, with Salsas and what not, My avocados never turn brown as long as I use limes, or lemons; The citric acid preserves the color and taste of the avocado for much longer

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13