Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Bass Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Kayak Bilge Pump

Happy New Year!

Curious to know how many have a battery operated auto bilge pump installed on their kayaks ???

I'm looking into this as an additional safety measure and am looking for recommendations on brand and features. I currently have a Hobie PA14 and a manual hand bilge pump. I know that it's effective, but is limited by my strength and physical ability.

Appreciate any advice and feedback.

Kenny
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Happy New Year Kenny, I once flipped in the PA14 without the front liner in the bow hatch. Due to the extensive gear on the yak, By the time I had the kayak upright, the water had flooded up to the middle hatch. With the bow submerged, the kayak was too unstable to get upon, and pumping from the middle hatch was futile as waves kept washing more water in faster than I could pump it out. If I had an electric pump, it would have saved my azz. After the incident for a couple of years, I installed a Tsunami bilge pump rigged in the bow and used one of the openings designed for the electrical wires as the discharge exit. Had I kept the front liner in the bow, the excessive flooding never would have happened. When I upgraded to a newer PA, I did not bother to put in the electronic bilge, but since then would never consider removing the bow liner or internal floatation to increase interior storage.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #3
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Note-to-Self - Never use PA without front liner....Got it! Yikes, that sounded like a really close call. Everytime I hear a story, it makes me more determined to install one, just-in-case. I'm definitely going to install the bilge pump, hooked-up with an auto float and a manual back-up switch. I have both of those wiring ports used for my fishfinder, so I'll need to drill a discharge exit elsewhere. Thanks for the info for sure and glad you are still with us thru that ordeal. Thanks!
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
grey zone

What happened to John is unforeseeable and an electric pump might have saved the day unless battery contacts were under water. A handheld pump or even a large sponge can be a lifesaver. Every kayaker should always open their hatches at regular intervals to see what is happening below. If you think your craft is invincible you are an accident waiting to happen.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
LEEZO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
What happened to John is unforeseeable and an electric pump might have saved the day unless battery contacts were under water. A handheld pump or even a large sponge can be a lifesaver. Every kayaker should always open their hatches at regular intervals to see what is happening below. If you think your craft is invincible you are an accident waiting to happen.
What he is saying
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
Thankfully, my battery was in a water-tight container that did not leak, because of that, my fishfinder kept working and showed that the wind and drift were setting me back towards shore and not out to sea. An electronic bilge pump would have saved the day.

Definitely, worthwhile to check inside your kayak periodically to make sure everything remains dry. Especially right after a big surf launch, if the kayak feels sluggish, or anytime one experiences multiple waves over the kayak -- the front or back hatch may have leaks. I use a big sponge for small amounts of water, but a hand pump is best for larger volumes -- also handy for priming live wells.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #7
grey zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEZO View Post
What he is saying
Thanks LEEZO for bring my bad reply back to my review, I should have paid more attention to Pinhead's question.

Back to the question about using an automatic bilge pump. If you roll your kayak and flood it, having an automatic pump might be great for removing the water inside if you can roll it upright. As John mentioned his bow flooded so if the pump is in the wrong place, it might not help at all. All my bilge pumps have been made by "rule" but if you read the 500 gph product overview it takes 2" of water to activate the sensor. Thats a lot of water to have inside a kayak before the pump turns on. Many things to consider but a great question to bring out safety ideas from others in the community.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Gflann

I carry this in my drybag every trip with the battery installed. The night prior I test run it for a few seconds to ensure it still works.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/trac-...6?recordNum=37
Old 01-15-2022, 08:31 AM   #9
dorado123

I carry extra pump and battery in my outback hatch liner sometime i had to deal with dead battery on my live well and incase water inside of my kayak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADA70EB0-B2D0-4B3C-A651-B5B8A7247C55.jpg (56.6 KB, 52 views)
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote