Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #1
Tommy92708
Junior

Rockfish spot outside of newport bay

I have seen kayakers catching lot of rockfish "about a mile" outside of the newport beach harbor mouth. I don't have a fish finder yet. Can someone pin point the location for me? It is too large out there to trial-n-error without a fish finder. Thanks in advance.
Tommy92708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
Raskal311

There is no way you'll find it wirhout gpd/ff. If you get on one you'll drift quickly, the spots are small and scattered. Best bet is to find the other kayakers and ask if you can stick with them. I've been out there many times where I've met random kayakers and guilded them on to spots during the day.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Raskal311

People around here are also pretty protective of there spots but generally very open if you ask in person.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #4
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy92708 View Post
I have seen kayakers catching lot of rockfish "about a mile" outside of the newport beach harbor mouth. I don't have a fish finder yet. Can someone pin point the location for me? It is too large out there to trial-n-error without a fish finder. Thanks in advance.
The first time I went rock fishing is with OCTICO. Caught our limits within the hour then the bite shut off. I went again without a fish finder and was like trying to find a drifting needle in a hay stack. TBH there are always people going out of Newport. Post a message that you'd like to tag along. The guys here are pretty awesome and always welcoming new guys out to the rockfish area. I might be going out within the next week or so. I'll hit you up then
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Well one of my buddies is getting limits or near limits without one. Meanwhile, I'm barely getting a couple! LOL!!

We've found them as shallow as 140 and deep as 220, so it's just a matter of finding the right rockpile I guess.

I'd like to try this Saturday since I didn't go out the last few weeks. Anyone down?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Tommy92708
Junior

Fish finder

Any Lowrance fish finder you guy can recommend for a PA12?
Tommy92708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
miteofthesun

On the weekends, you will usually see at least several yak'ers out there.

There are quite a few spots out there that hold fish.

The challenge is to stay on top of the fish, since you may be drifting at a decent rate.
miteofthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
octico

Who ever owned rock pile in NP .... say good bye !!!

A buddy and I were heading out of Newport and this guys asked me where you headed, I replied rockfishing, he said I don't have a fish finder can I join. we said sure. We fished and did all limits all around, high fives all around. A few days later this POS dropped a google maps pin my spot on facebook group saying "hey guys this is where all rockfish are in Newport".

I have fished this spot for year at most 3-4 groups at a time. We have been very diligent about not putting too much pressure on the fish. These POS show up with 15 people pulling up every fish imaginable, 8 inch sheephead 12 inch lings... I personally feel so guilty for allowing this to happen. Honesty, I have not fished my honey hole for months. It saddens me to see thes POS go out there and do this . I have pics but I do not want to post the because most of them are friends.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
PapaDave

I did that once, showed a guy how and where to catch spotties in O'side, next thing I know he's telling me he limited out three days in a row. I even told him the resource is limited and release them.

Not doing that again.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
A buddy and I were heading out of Newport and this guys asked me where you headed, I replied rockfishing, he said I don't have a fish finder can I join. we said sure. We fished and did all limits all around, high fives all around. A few days later this POS dropped a google maps pin my spot on facebook group saying "hey guys this is where all rockfish are in Newport".

I have fished this spot for year at most 3-4 groups at a time. We have been very diligent about not putting too much pressure on the fish. These POS show up with 15 people pulling up every fish imaginable, 8 inch sheephead 12 inch lings... I personally feel so guilty for allowing this to happen. Honesty, I have not fished my honey hole for months. It saddens me to see thes POS go out there and do this . I have pics but I do not want to post the because most of them are friends.
Damn, not even I marked anyone of those spots all the times we fished together. That's just not right. I even got good and successfully releasing the little guys with a nice shove back down to fix their air bladder.

That's it, where does he live? I know a guy, that knows a guy, you know? LOL/JK

Old 04-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
cell128
lizard king

It was Jesse wasn't it John!!! That bastard!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1437577999310.jpg (54.1 KB, 145 views)
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:52 AM   #12
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
It was Jesse wasn't it John!!! That bastard!!!!
F'ing awesome Jaime!!!!!!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote