Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Wanderingincircles
Junior

hello all

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking around for a couple weeks, so I thought I should get my first post in. I'm new to this kayaking thing. Have been thinking of getting one for a little bit, found a good deal and made the plunge at the last FH show. Picked up a Revo 13. Now to get everything (almost) else to go with it!

Like I said, I found this board a couple weeks ago, and am very glad I did. I've been fishing my whole life, but mostly fresh water. So i'm very excited to get out on the salt and see what adventures are to come.

I feel like I've learned a lot just reading posts here, and I know I'm just scratching the surface. So thanks to everyone for your helpful posts, and I'm sure I'll be back with a lot of questions if you don't mind giving a helping hand to a newbie.

Thanks again,
Jason
Wanderingincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
AirborneYak

Welcome! What parts are you from?
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Orca Winfrey

Welcome to your new addiction. I was already a fishing addict before I started this kayak fishing thing ( I'm pretty new to it too). It was probably what a junkie fells like when he first smokes crack.

Make sure everything is leashed or tied down and you wear your PFD. Sooner of later you will roll. Everyone on this site is really helpful and youll find plenty of great advice.

You Revo is a great yak. It's not as stable as the big Outbacks or Pro Anglers but it's faster. My friend just got one and he's cruising along while I'm paddling for my life. He used to paddle a Malibu Stealth which is super roomy and stable but is a slow barge.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Wanderingincircles
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
Welcome to your new addiction. I was already a fishing addict before I started this kayak fishing thing ( I'm pretty new to it too). It was probably what a junkie fells like when he first smokes crack.

Make sure everything is leashed or tied down and you wear your PFD. Sooner of later you will roll. Everyone on this site is really helpful and youll find plenty of great advice.

You Revo is a great yak. It's not as stable as the big Outbacks or Pro Anglers but it's faster. My friend just got one and he's cruising along while I'm paddling for my life. He used to paddle a Malibu Stealth which is super roomy and stable but is a slow barge.
I'm working on getting leashes. Still looking for a PFD. Trying to decide on a vest or the slimmer ones with C02. I tested out both the Outback and the Revo at FH, and decided to go with the Revo since it would be more maneuverable. Maybe not as stable, but I have decent balance, and when that fails, am willing to take a spill or two into the drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
Welcome! What parts are you from?
I'm up in San Bernardino. About 30 mins from Lake Perris.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingincircles View Post
I'm working on getting leashes. Still looking for a PFD. Trying to decide on a vest or the slimmer ones with C02. I tested out both the Outback and the Revo at FH, and decided to go with the Revo since it would be more maneuverable. Maybe not as stable, but I have decent balance, and when that fails, am willing to take a spill or two into the drink.

Great. Me too. We're both IE denizens. We'll have to meet up sometime. My problem is very limited fishing time and that I'm really into open water fishing which adds to the time it takes to get to the launch site. I should try Perris but I'm too addicted to open ocean.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Wanderingincircles
Junior

Yeah. I'm kinda limited on time too. We have a 3 month old at home, so that is definitely a priority. But mom and I let each other out every once in a while, so we should hit the water on one of my times out. Of course, once I get my equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingincircles View Post
I'm working on getting leashes. Still looking for a PFD. Trying to decide on a vest or the slimmer ones with C02. I tested. out both the Outback and the Revo at FH, and decided to go with the Revo since it would be more maneuverable. Maybe not as stable, but I have decent balance, and when that fails, am willing to take a spill or two into the drink.

I'm in Yucaipa, it's a trip to do any salt water fishing but worth the effort. I don't have anything as fancy as you but I'm making do. I'm just a year into kayak fishing but I've been fishing all my life and I'm 66, that's a lot of life.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Hey neighbors, Im up in San Bernardino too. I didn't realize there was such a group of us yakers out here in the IE. We could def get some trips going

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Hey neighbors, Im up in San Bernardino too. I didn't realize there was such a group of us yakers out here in the IE. We could def get some trips going
You gonna change your avatar to SBROB? What the hell happened to San Diego Holmes, lol? Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #10
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
You gonna change your avatar to SBROB? What the hell happened to San Diego Holmes, lol? Jim
I still got my house and a kayak in SD. I just have a little place in the IE too

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #11
Wanderingincircles
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I'm in Yucaipa, it's a trip to do any salt water fishing but worth the effort. I don't have anything as fancy as you but I'm making do. I'm just a year into kayak fishing but I've been fishing all my life and I'm 66, that's a lot of life.
Hey Harry, I'm looking forward to my first trip out. Can't wait to hit the salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
I'm in if you want to get something going. I'm still doing my homework on some stuff but hopefully will be ready to go soon. Depending on where in Yucaipa you are, i'm about 15 -20 mins from you.