Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Cattledog

Any opinions on the Lowrance "DSI" fish finders

Hello,
Anyone care to offer any thoughts on the "DSI" fish finders? These are the units that include the almost 3 dimensional view of the bottom. The units that do not include the 3 dimensional view are a little less expensive.

Also, any thoughts on getting a cheaper black and white unit vs color? The color units are definitely "cooler" but has anyone tried both and seen any real fish finding advantages with the color units?

Finally I sure hope these units are pretty water tight as I seem to have more than my share of yard sales when I land in surf!

Chris
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
beef78
Large Member

I just bought a used mark 4 and it is pretty awesom. I could follow my 4 ounce sinker all the way to the bottom in 120 feet of water. When I dropped a squid gannion down, it could pick out the individual squid hooks. The GPS is pretty awesome, too.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Cattledog

Hey Beef78, is your model 4 one of the "DSI" units? Its probably down the 4 or 5 for me but I want to learn more about the desirability of the DSI. I also need to take some measurements to see if the larger unit will fit nicely into my PA cockpit.
Chris
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
ZepBonham

I just got the elite 5 dsi/gps with navionics gold for $270 at west marine. Saved some money for professional install.

I was curious if an interior wet mount is much better than using scupper install. I'm headed to OEX to chat them up about this. I gotta get this thing hooked up!

Your fish finder should not be installed on yak during launch and landing. I would have it in a waterproof compartment, and plug it in once safe on the water.
ZepBonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
beef78
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Hey Beef78, is your model 4 one of the "DSI" units? Its probably down the 4 or 5 for me but I want to learn more about the desirability of the DSI. I also need to take some measurements to see if the larger unit will fit nicely into my PA cockpit.
Chris

It's not the DSI.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Cattledog

Hey ZepBonham,
I checked with West Marine today and they quoted $450 for the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. You got an awesome price! Thanks for the advice re water resistance - that makes sense to me. Chris
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Direct water mount for dsi will give you the best readings. I have a mark 4 and have tried 3 mounts for transducer. The scupper hole direct water mount is the best. Lowrance makes a mount specifically for scupper holes now. It's like 50$ I think. Or you could build one yourself with some PVC.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Hey ZepBonham,
I checked with West Marine today and they quoted $450 for the Lowrance Elite 5 DSI. You got an awesome price! Thanks for the advice re water resistance - that makes sense to me. Chris
I also got mine for around 270. They go on sale every once in awhile. Get the westmarine magazine sent to your house
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
salty pirate

check out the elite-5 HDI you get both down image and traditional sonar. I have the elite-7 HDI and am happy with it. It did have a problem with the amp scope so they are sending me a new unit.
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Produc...HDI-en-us.aspx
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
solyluna

Waiting on the. Elite 5 HDI to be available
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Zfish03

Had the Elite 4 DSI but it caught on fire. Had it for 6 months, there was a small amount of corrosion on the connection port, I connected the batter cable before a launch and next thing a know it melted and started billowing out smoke...
Got it exchanged at Sports Chalet so no biggie. Upgraded to a humminbird 597ci hd di.

As far as a FF goes... It gave some awesome structure readings, especially in the bay.

BUT I found it very difficult to distinguish large fish from small fish. It doesn't give you big boomerang or worm marks. Instead its little dot, and then slightly bigger dot OR is that slightly bigger dot two little dots together?!! No clue WTF I was looking at. Great for finding bait and structure though!
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
JarrodMc

I like my Elite 5 DSI with Navionics gold. I can read bait, kelp, fish and structure no problem. Next is ordering some Li-Ion batteries to save on weight!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Cattledog

Thanks Jarrod! The Elite 5 DSI looks like a great unit. Seems like Lowrance is getting ready to release the Elite 5 HDI sometime soon. I think that will probably be the unit for me. I looked at the Elite 7 HDI today and its nice but I am wondering if it is a little TOO BIG. I'm on a PA 14. Anyone have any photos of an Elite 7 mounted on their Kayak?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #14
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Thanks Jarrod! The Elite 5 DSI looks like a great unit. Seems like Lowrance is getting ready to release the Elite 5 HDI sometime soon. I think that will probably be the unit for me. I looked at the Elite 7 HDI today and its nice but I am wondering if it is a little TOO BIG. I'm on a PA 14. Anyone have any photos of an Elite 7 mounted on their Kayak?

Fits fine on a PA 12. The only issue I had was install is a little difficult because you have two very thick cords to install through spaces that are designed for one. Really like the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote