Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #81
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
Is there any way to use that radiation to our benefit, if we could collect it, harness it, run our FF's off it?
Yea screw those lithium ion batteries....now a mini niclear reactor for the yak yes please
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #82
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
There seems to be a lot of heated debate going on between a few members with differing opinions and articles they've included in their posts, both during and since my last post on Saturday night. Here it is again for those that missed it:

http://news.msn.com/world/radiation-readings-spike-at-fukushima-nuclear-plant

Has anyone bothered reading this MSN newsfeed article about actual facts, vice your own opinions. The link is included in my last post, as well, and goes into great detail, about what Japan isn't doing to fix their, and now potentially the world's problem with this nuclear crisis. To me, that seems to be far more important than your own opinions. The article woke me up, that one way or the other, some serious detrimental shit is going on over in Japan, which is why I retracted my previous blasé attitude.

Now, if ya all will stop bitchen' at each other for a while, and give the article a good read, you may, like I did, change your own mind (to some degree) about the impact we may or may not be facing, over here.

Obviously, I surely wouldn't want to be living within a few hundred miles of that Nuclear power plant, right now, or even in the future.
Your source is pretty weak Aaron: If you're concerned with facts try my suggestions in my post on page 3...... "google scholar"

If you want the truth start reading the PUBLISHED papers in peer reviewed scientific journals, and then formulate your opinion.

There is a lot of work currently under way testing ACTUAL muscle from ACTUAL fish. And the results are all conclusive that it is safe to eat both albacore and bluefin tuna. This could change, but it's doubtful my friend.

Link below shows results from an ACTUAL researcher who works directly with the muscle and data:

http://www.triplicate.com/News/Local...esearchers-say

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #83
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Your source is pretty weak Aaron: If you're concerned with facts try my suggestions in my post on page 3...... "google scholar"

If you want the truth start reading the PUBLISHED papers in peer reviewed scientific journals, and then formulate your opinion.

There is a lot of work currently under way testing ACTUAL muscle from ACTUAL fish. And the results are all conclusive that it is safe to eat both albacore and bluefin tuna. This could change, but it's doubtful my friend.

Link below shows results from an ACTUAL researcher who works directly with the muscle and data:

http://www.triplicate.com/News/Local...esearchers-say
This does help put it in perspective, AND the tuna we catch ARE still being bought as fast as we catch them by Japan, guess THEY think it's safe to eat tuna?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #84
jorluivil

Yesterday, there was a weird guy at the landing giving Roby and I cr*p about the pacific fish and about how they're infested with radiation, if I see him again I'll ask him to join BWE and chime in on this thread.

I'm a little more concerned that zombies that are going to take over the world and the fact that I'm a member of the Halibut 20lb and 40lb club but not the 30lb club ........woe is me

There were schools of bait all over the place yesterday, walls of squid from 120' up to 60', huge schools of dolphins, seals trying to get my fish and 40lb halibut being caught, birds diving and more than anythng lots of water movement.

Give this cr*p a rest and get out there and fish, you guys are wasting time arguing about something that you have no control over. Get out and catch the fish before they grow legs and start walking on land. When they do you guys can sell your rods and reels and kayaks for a bow and arrow and join the Stinkymatt Zombie Fish Killers Club.

tight lines!!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #85
makobob
Baitless on Baja

2x, what he said. Tight lines and bloody gaffs.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #86
Hunters Pa

I just figure when my nuts are glowing I will be more visible on the water at night
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #87
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Finally a trustworthy source to settle this !

Ok kinda like the Chicken little story - but I was able to get an REAL interview with one of the original Tepco Nuclear Scientist's to explain the long term impact of the Fukushima meltdown after the earthquake and tidal wave damage.... it starts off in Japanese > be patient wait until the 4:37 of the video when they go inside the Nuclear reactor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1XGdu-hzQ
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #88
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Ok kinda like the Chicken little story - but I was able to get an REAL interview with one of the original Tepco Nuclear Scientist's to explain the long term impact of the Fukushima meltdown after the earthquake and tidal wave damage.... it starts off in Japanese > be patient wait until the 4:37 of the video when they go inside the Nuclear reactor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1XGdu-hzQ

WOW!!!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #89
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Give this cr*p a rest and get out there and fish, you guys are wasting time arguing about something that you have no control over. Get out and catch the fish before they grow legs and start walking on land. When they do you guys can sell your rods and reels and kayaks for a bow and arrow and join the Stinkymatt Zombie Fish Killers Club.

tight lines!!!!
When this happens I will be ready....

I will kayakfish on land - without a kayak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxZxDG2M_M
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #90
lobstersoup

I got my bow ready.
lobstersoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #91
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I call BS

He wore a helmet!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #92
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post

....Those same claims you pushed, but are now backing away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post

where & when in this entire thread, am i backing away from anything i previously posted ???

Quote:

You have really forgotten already? Do you really want me to go through the thread and post them all up; For everyone to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post

please do !!

i can't wait to see what you come up with here.

i suspect it will be FAR more entertaining.....

Quote:

Jim, now your just showing off your superior grasp of what you read. We've both wasted enough time here, it's time to

THAT IS ALL YOU GOT HERE. - LOLOL
i knew your reply on this, no matter what it was, would be extremely comical.

YOU are the one that popped off posting this comment:
"Do you really want me to go through the thread and post them all up; For everyone to see?"

BUT THEN, when directly called out on it.... you realize it's time for you to go fishing. - LOLOL

likely the best (& only) decision you could have made here.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #93
jorluivil

No offense to the poster, the repliers and the viewers but I hope this thread not only gets closed but that it gets deleted.

it went from informative, to LOL to OMG to STFU already

Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #94
kluts

Pacific

All this hoopla made me wonder whats really goin on.So I went to all the other world news agencies.[Because any american news is shut out for some reason]The Japanese dont know what to do with three reactors that melted down. So water it down has been the answer,with hundreds of tons of contaminated water secretly going directly into the ocean everyday since 2011. I am now watching it closely,and quite worried.This is the worst accident to ever hit the planet.With the northern hemisphere ocean currents moving clockwise,The predictions were that the majority of iodine cesium and tritium injested by the foodchain,should reach the west coast by 2014.Then we can check and see just how bad it is for the west coast.They are really screwed,with no way to fix the damaged three reactors and the contamination is going to go on for decades.Any further mishaps with the 1500 spent fuel rod removal from reactor no.4 will be the biggest radiation fire the planet has ever seen.A nuclear bomb puts out nowhere near the contaminates of a "dirty"fuel fire. Me?Im watching closely
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #95
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/20...34110.full.pdf
Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #96
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
When this happens I will be ready....

I will kayakfish on land - without a kayak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxZxDG2M_M
Hahaha
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #97
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I just figure when my nuts are glowing I will be more visible on the water at night
funny

On a serious note: should we be surprised that the society we live in is reactive instead of proactive.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.

Kelp is contaminated already!!!

http://www.oregonlive.com/environmen...fears_for.html

November 19, 2013

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on google More Sharing Services 188

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/11/...fornia-babies/
A Global Threat

Fukushima Fallout Damaged the Thyroids of California Babies

by CHRIS BUSBY

A new study of the effects of tiny quantities of radioactive fallout from Fukushima on the health of babies born in California shows a significant excess of hypothyroidism caused by the radioactive contamination travelling 5,000 miles across the Pacific. The article will be published next week in the peer-reviewed journal Open Journal of Pediatrics.

Congenital hypothyroidism is a rare but serious condition normally affecting about one child in 2,000, and one that demands clinical intervention – the growth of children suffering from the condition is affected if they are left untreated. All babies born in California are monitored at birth for Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) levels in blood, since high levels indicate hypothyroidism.

Joe Mangano and Janette Sherman of the Radiation and Public Health Project in New York, and Christopher Busby, guest researcher at Jacobs University, Bremen, examined congenital hypothyroidism (CH) rates in newborns using data obtained from the State of California over the period of the Fukushima explosions.

Their results are published in their paper Changes in confirmed plus borderline cases of congenital hypothyroidism in California as a function of environmental fallout from the Fukushima nuclear meltdown. The researchers compared data for babies exposed to radioactive Iodine-131 and born between March 17th and Dec 31st 2011 with unexposed babies born in 2011 before the exposures plus those born in 2012.

Confirmed cases of hypothyroidism, defined as those with TSH level greater than 29 units increased by 21% in the group of babies that were exposed to excess radioactive Iodine in the womb[*]. The same group of children had a 27% increase in ‘borderline cases’ [**].

Contrary to many reports, the explosion of the reactors and spent fuel pools at Fukushima produced levels of radioactive contamination which were comparable with the Chernobyl releases in 1986. Using estimates made by the Norwegian Air Laboratory it is possible to estimate that more than 250PBq (200 x 1015) Bq of Iodine-131 (half life 8 days) were released at Fukushima.

This is also predicted by comparing the Caesium-137 estimates with I-131 releases from Chernobyl, quantities which caused the thyroid cancer epidemic in Byelarus, the Ukraine and parts of the Russian Republic.

More on this later. At Fukushima, the winds generally blew the radioactive iodine and other volatile radionuclides out to sea, to the Pacific Ocean. The journey 5,000 miles to the West Coast of the USA leaves a lot of time for dispersal and dilution. Nevertheless, small amounts of I-131 were measured in milk causing widespread concern.

The authorities downplayed any risk on the basis that the “doses” were very low; far lower than the natural background radiation. The University of Berkeley measured I-131 in rainwater from 18th to 28th March 2011 after which levels fell. If we assume that mothers drank 1 litre of rainwater a day for this period (of course they didn’t) the current radiation risk model of the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) calculates an absorbed dose to the adult thyroid of 23 microSieverts, less than 1/100th the annual background “dose”. The foetus is more sensitive (by a factor of about 10 according to ICRP) but is exposed to less as it is perhaps 100 times smaller.

So this finding is one more instance of the fact that the current radiation risk model, employed by the governments of every nation, is massively insecure for predicting harm from internal radionuclide exposures or explaining the clear observations.

The Fukushima catastrophe has been dismissed as a potential cause of health effects even in Japan, let alone as far away as California. And on what basis? Because the “dose” is too low.

This is the mantra chanted by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the World Health Organization (WHO, largely the same outfit), and the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR). And let’s not forget all the nuclear scientists who swooped down on Fukushima with their International Conferences and placatory soothing presentations.

This chant was heard after Chernobyl, after the nuclear site child leukemias; in the nuclear atmospheric test veterans cases; and in all the other clear situations which in any unbiased scientific arena would long ago have blown away the belief that low level internal exposures are safe.

But this one-size-fits-all concept of “dose” is the nuclear industry’s sinking ship. It provides essential cover for the use of uranium weapons, whether fission bombs or depleted uranium munitions; for the development of nuclear power stations like Hinkley Point; the burying of radioactive waste in landfills in middle England; releases of plutonium to the Irish Sea from Sellafield (where it drifts ashore and causes increases in cancer on the coasts of Wales and Ireland); and most recently, for the British Governments denial of excess cancers among nuclear test veterans.

This new study is not the first to draw attention to the sensitivity of the unborn baby to internal fission products. In 2009 I used data supplied to me when I was a member of the UK government Committee Examining Radiation Risks from Internal Emitters (CERRIE) to carry out a meta-analysis of infant leukemia rates in five countries in Europe: England and Wales, Germany, Greece, and Byelarus.

There had been an unexpected and statistically significant increase in infant leukemia (age 0-1) in those children who were in the womb during the (whole body monitored) increased levels of Caesium-137 from Chernobyl. The beauty of this study (like the TSH study) is that, unlike the Sellafield child leukemias, there is really no possible alternative explanation.

It was the low “dose” of Caesium-137 that caused the leukemias. And the dose response trend was not a straight line: The effect at the very low “dose” was greater than at the very high “dose”. Presumably because at the high doses the babies perished in the womb and could not, therefore, develop leukemia. I published the results and drew attention to the failure of the ICRP model in the International Journal of Environment and Public Health in 2009.

I had published a paper on this infant leukemia proof of the failure of the risk model inEnergy and Environment in 2000, and also presented it in the same year at the World Health Organisation conference in Kiev. It was there that I first really came up against the inversion of science deployed by the chiefs of the IAEA and UNSCEAR. The conference was videofilmed by Wladimir Tchertkoff and you can see his excellent documentary, which made it to Swiss TV, Atomic Lies, re-released in 2004 as Nuclear Controversies (link to youtube, 51 minutes).

For what is done by these people is to dismiss any evidence of increased rates of cancer or any other disease by shouting at it: “the doses were too low”. In this way, reality is airbrushed away. What is this quantity “dose”? It is a simple physics-based quantity which represents the absorption of energy from radiation. One Sievert of gamma radiation is one Joule per kilogram of living tissue.

This might work for external radiation. But it doesn’t work for internal exposures to radioactive elements which can produce huge effects on cellular DNA at low average “doses”. It is like comparing warming yourself in front of the fire with eating a hot coal. Or comparing a punch to stabbing. Same dose, same energy. Very different effects.

This “dose” scam has been used to dismiss real effects since it was invented in 1952 to deal with the exposures from nuclear weapons development and testing. For those who want to dig deeper into the science there is a recent book chapter I wrote in the book New Research Directions in DNS Repair.

The most scary instances of the sensitivity of the foetus to radiation are the sex ratio studies of Hagen Scherb, a German biostatician and member of the European Committee on Radiation Risk (ECRR). With his colleague Christina Voigt he has published a series of papers showing a sudden change in the sex ratio of newborns after various radiation exposure incidents.

Sex ratio, the number of boys born to 1,000 girls is a well accepted indicator of genetic damage and perturbations in the normal ratio of 1,050 (boys to 100 girls) are due to the deaths before birth of radiation damaged individuals of one sex or the other depending on whether the father (sperm) or mother (egg) was most exposed.

We found such an effect (more girls) in our study of Fallujah, Iraq, where there was exposure to Uranium weapons. But Scherb and Voigt have looked at the major catastrophes, Chernobyl, the weapons tests fallout, near nuclear sites in data from many countries of the world. Huge datasets.

They estimate that millions have babies have been killed by these subtle internal radiation exposures. The nuclear military project is responsible for an awful lot of deaths. In years to come I believe this will eventually be seen as the greatest public health scandal in human history.

Of course, the exposure to radio-Iodine is associated with thyroid cancer in children. There was a big rise of thyroid cancer in Byelarus, the Ukraine and the Russian Republic after Chernobyl. The situation at Fukushima seems set to echo this, despite the reassurances from the authorities that there will be no effects.

Our paper reports 44 confirmed thyroid cancer cases in 0-18 year olds in Fukushima prefecture in the last six months (a figure that has since risen to 53). In the hypothyroidism paper we discuss the 44 cases relative to the population and calculate that this represents an 80-fold excess based on national data prior to the Fukushima Iodine releases.

This presents a severe challenge to Dr Wolfgang Weiss of the UN and WHO, who stated last year that no thyroid cancers could result from the Fukushima disaster as the “doses were too low”. How does he explain the 80-fold increase in this normally rare condition?

Or rather, when will he admit that the entire scientific model that underpins his views is fraudulent? And that nuclear radiation is – roughly speaking – 1,000 times more dangerous to human health than he is letting on?

28 facts Fushima put west coast in danger

28 facts that prove Fukushima's nuclear disaster has put the West Coast in danger

http://www.dose.ca/2013/11/04/28-fac...t-coast-danger

Dose.caWeb stuff
November 4, 2013 - 14:02 PM

New reports are showing that the infamous Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster that happened on March 11, 2011 has been more harmful than anyone could have ever predicted. Why? Because it turns out that radiation levels are constantly getting worse, especially on the West Coast, as 300 tons of radioactive water enter the Pacific Ocean every day.

According to activistpost.com, these are the 28 major signs that "the west coast of North America is being absolutely fried with nuclear radiation from Fukushima." Yikes!

1. Polar bears, seals and walruses along the Alaska coastline are suffering from fur loss and open sores.

2. There is an epidemic of sea lion deaths along the California coastline.

3. Along the Pacific coast of Canada and the Alaska coastline, the population of sockeye salmon is at a historic low. Many are blaming Fukushima.

4. Something is causing fish all along the west coast of Canada to bleed from their gills, bellies and eyeballs.

5. A vast field of radioactive debris from Fukushima that is approximately the size of California has crossed the Pacific Ocean and is starting to collide with the west coast.

6. It is being projected that the radioactivity of coastal waters off the U.S. west coast could doubleover the next five to six years.

7. Experts have found very high levels of cesium-137 in plankton living in the waters of the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and the west coast.

8. One test in California found that 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima.

9. Back in 2012, the Vancouver Sun reported that cesium-137 was being found in a very high percentage of the fish that Japan was selling to Canada.

10. Canadian authorities are finding extremely high levels of nuclear radiation in certain fish samples.

11. Some experts believe that we could see very high levels of cancer along the west coast just from people eating contaminated fish.

12. BBC News recently reported that radiation levels around Fukushima are “18 times higher” than previously believed.

13. An EU-funded study concluded that Fukushima released up to 210 quadrillion becquerels of cesium-137 into the atmosphere.

14. Atmospheric radiation from Fukushima reached the west coast of the United States within a few days back in 2011.

15. At this point, 300 tons of contaminated water is pouring into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima every single day.

16. A senior researcher of marine chemistry at the Japan Meteorological Agency’s Meteorological Research Institute says that “30 billion becquerels of radioactive cesium and 30 billion becquerels of radioactive strontium” are being released into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima every single day.

17. According to Tepco, a total of somewhere between 20 trillion and 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium have gotten into the Pacific Ocean since the Fukushima disaster first began.

18. According to a professor at Tokyo University, 3 gigabecquerels of cesium-137 are flowing into the port at Fukushima Daiichi every single day.

19. It has been estimated that up to 100 times as much nuclear radiation has been released into the ocean from Fukushima than was released during the entire Chernobyl disaster.

20. One recent study concluded that a very large plume of cesium-137 from the Fukushima disaster will start flowing into U.S. coastal waters early next year.

21. It is being projected that significant levels of cesium-137 will reach every corner of the Pacific Ocean by the year 2020.

22. It is being projected that the entire Pacific Ocean will soon “have cesium levels 5 to 10 times higher” than what we witnessed during the era of heavy atomic bomb testing in the Pacific many decades ago.

23. The immense amounts of nuclear radiation getting into the water in the Pacific Ocean has caused environmental activist Joe Martino to issue the following warning: Your days of eating Pacific Ocean fish are over.

24. The Iodine-131, Cesium-137 and Strontium-90 that are constantly coming from Fukushima are going to affect the health of those living the the northern hemisphere for a very, very long time.

25. According to a recent Planet Infowars report, the California coastline is being transformed into “a dead zone”.

26. A study conducted last year came to the conclusion that radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster could negatively affect human life along the west coast of North America from Mexico to Alaska “for decades”.

27. According to the Wall Street Journal, it is being projected that the cleanup of Fukushima could take up to 40 years to complete.

28. Yale Professor Charles Perrow is warning that if the cleanup of Fukushima is not handled with 100% precision that humanity could be threatened "for thousands of years".

http://www.dose.ca/2013/11/19/fukush...am-media-video

I will continue to Monitor, Jorge third Nipple, and Roby Getting smaller, as they continue to eat pacific fish. Stay tune for more.

Some articles are even saying that rainfall is contaminated, and everything that eats this tainted water is contaminated...

Well guys, we killed ourselves...

anyways im going fishing

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 11-21-2013 at 07:32 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #98
jorluivil

If you guys are that concerened stop fishing and eating fish.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #99
ful-rac
Emperor

Looks like were just going to have to fish Irvine on a permanent basis.....
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #100
StinkyMatt

I agree with all the posters that say that strange things are happening due to increased radiation.

Just the other day I discovered that a part of my body has doubled in size to 19.5 inches!

I was gonna go see a doctor but Goerge's old lady flattened all my tires and said it will not be necessary.

Guys, get a life and quit posting this dumb crap.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote