Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
PapaDave

DP 02-16

On the water at 9am, picked up some dines and headed north to Salt Creek this time. Water was smooth and clear, wind was light until about 2pm, but still manageable. Lots of dolphin activity.

Fished outside the kelp for a bit, nada. Fished inside the kelp for a bit for one small ling and lots of rakers but no takers. I even used a stinger for naught. They were teasing me.

Headed back to the docks but by the time I hit the harbor at about 4:45 the wind died and the water was smooth again. I love it when it is like that so I headed to the beach for a small sandie and a couple of nice strikes of unknown origin.

Wind came back up but was in the opposite direction and was rather cool, so I headed in. Back at the dock about 7pm.

Way to go ctrujillo, good hunting! Were that you fishing the beach as I went in to the beach?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
T-Rex

That may have been me you saw fishing inside at Doheny. Forgot my headlamp so I headed back in at sunset.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
ctrujillo

No it wasn't me i was off the water at 2
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
jbasin0
Junior

I also paddled over to salt creek on sat for a short hali, 2 sandies, a sculpin, a small 12-15lb bsb, and 2 weird looking shrimp/lobster things (did some research and i think they are called mantis shrimp, very odd). Man that's quite a paddle! Also had tail bitten off my swimbait by what i presume was a hali. Not quite worth it for the paddle since i decided to go ALL the way to the point north of salt creek, but I'd go back if there were some better conditions.

I mainly fished the outside edge of the kelp. Maybe next time I'll try the inside.

Noticed 2 kayakers sitting to the north of the headlands/strands beach area. Next time I'll stop and say hi.
jbasin0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
DanaPT

Not quite worth it for the paddle since i decided to go ALL the way to the point north of salt creek

So you were as far north as monarch beach?

It's a friggen long paddle there, especially if the wind and current is going against you.

Do try the capo beach area and the inside 9-20 ft of water. It's a quick launch (from palisades & beach rd).
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
jbasin0
Junior

Do try the capo beach area and the inside 9-20 ft of water. It's a quick launch (from palisades & beach rd).

Ya I've been meaning to try that area but waiting for the water to warm a bit and the halibut move in shallower. It seems pretty similar to the area north of the pier which i fish quite a bit. Is this the case or is there more reef structure?
jbasin0 is offline   Reply With Quote