Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Subarualmen

New to the area

Hello all!

Moved to Buena Park a few months back from Central Florida. I really waited out the market and have obtained two nice Kayaks.

I obtained a Stealth 12 with Paddle and Seat, and a Stealth 14 with a Lowrance 4-X DSI, and recirc livewell pump all for under $1000 bucks.

I'm looking to do some Harbor fishing & Kelp fishing starting in January - No use getting my license to fish right now. I'm going to use the next few weeks to really get myself ready.

I've got a Lowrance 5-X HDI on it's way that i got on Cyber Monday for $200 bucks from Cabella's.

I purchased a 7 FT Med-Heavy casting rod paired with a Shimano Socorro 10000F Spinning Reel

I purchased a cheap Cat-Maxx Conventional Reel paired with a 7 FT Med action Ugly Stik Elite

I have a Shimano TLD Star 15/30 that will be paired with a 6 ft 6 Med-Heavy Penn Rod

And finally a Cheap Penn Rod 6 ft 6 Med-heavy paired with a cheap Penn Windstar ( i think it's called )

Any tips and advice is much appreciated. Look forward to paddling with you guys!
Subarualmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
DanaPT

with all that gear... the fish will practically catch themselves.

maybe get a game clip.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
tacmik

Be a great time to take the yaks out and get use to them before the 1st.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
jsunmkly
Jason

Welcome to Buena Park, CA.
I just got my friend to kayak fish and he live in Buena Park too.
If you need to get familiar with the beach and/or launch spots, let us know.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Subarualmen

Sounds like a plan! I will definitely be in touch with you all!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
rogersmith

welcome Subaru, I have the same set up, S14 with same sonar. Drop me a line if you have any questions or want to get out to fish. Great city to move to for kayak fishing.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Subarualmen

Thanks a bunch Roger! A few days here and everyone seems so friendly. Do we ever set up any club fishing trips?

I love my S14 so far! It does need some work. It has an electric livewell, but i am a little nervous about that part. I believe the original owner said OEX installed it. I am considering taking it apart and resealing it for safety. Last thing i want is to find out it isn't sealed right when i launch at start to sink.

It also needs some bungee straps replaced and a new drain plug in the rear, amoungst other things. Hopefuly i can get that all done before the new year! In the meantime my S12 will be my go to Yak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
welcome Subaru, I have the same set up, S14 with same sonar. Drop me a line if you have any questions or want to get out to fish. Great city to move to for kayak fishing.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
tacmik

you might take a look at your livewell but if OEX installed it, you know it was done right. They are the kayak gurus in So. Cal. If you need anything done to your yak, they are the ones to go to. There's one in Newport. See Andy or give him a call.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
tamddo714

get some rod leashes too. have fun and be safe out there
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
with all that gear... the fish will practically catch themselves.

maybe get a game clip.
And maybe one of those Awesome bamboo gaffs by "Tinslayer".
Also don't forget your safety equipment [I didn't see you mention any, i.e. VHF radio, whistle, YakAttack light pole (if you fish early mornings or foggy conditions) and vest if you don't already have them].
And yes I agree with DanaPT, with the tackle you have, the fish will just about catch themselves!
Looking forward to your reports.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 12-11-2014 at 07:36 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote