Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
619-SWIM-DOG

Lingcod colors??

My brother in law and I hit up the islands today and we both caught lingcods of similar size. They were both caught in the same area. The difference is mine had that nice green/teal color and his was brown. What makes them different? Is it there sex, food, ect? Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I'm guessing diet along with time of year. But that's just a guess.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
My brother in law and I hit up the islands today and we both caught lingcods of similar size. They were both caught in the same area. The difference is mine had that nice green/teal color and his was brown. What makes them different? Is it there sex, food, ect? Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this.
From Ca. DFG

Description: The body of the lingcod is elongate, tapering and only slightly compressed. The head is elongate and conical, the mouth is large with numerous large teeth. Lingcod are generally dark brown with lots of spots and blotches on the upper part of the body, but come in a variety of colors ranging from blue green to red brown.

Sounds like you guys got the color grab bag of lingcods
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
LPetro
Junior

I think it's a bile pigment called biliverdin that's responsible for turning the blood blue, but how this pigment gets into the tissues and flesh of the fish, or why only some lingcod turn blue is unknown. I moved to humboldt to study fisheries and I've often wondered why, maybe a fishery biologist who frequents the site could chime in.
LPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPetro View Post
I think it's a bile pigment called biliverdin that's responsible for turning the blood blue, but how this pigment gets into the tissues and flesh of the fish, or why only some lingcod turn blue is unknown. I moved to humboldt to study fisheries and I've often wondered why, maybe a fishery biologist who frequents the site could chime in.
His names Owyn Snodgrass "Dos Ballenas"
RK is offline   Reply With Quote