Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Electrical Question (Paging Jim Day)

I got tired of my 10ah fish finder battery dying on the water, so I bought a new 18ah 12v battery, that I found a good deal on. However, I didn't notice until I got it that it has entirely different terminals that the quick connect and disconnect terminals I'm used to. Here are a couple pictures of the terminals, they are pretty big maybe an inch long.

They are nuts and bolts connections, and I was wondering how I could adapt them to fit my fish finder wiring, preferably keeping the quick connect/disconnect capability. Thanks for any help!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
FISH11

Sounds like you aren't putting this battery in a water tight box. If you don't want to change the terminal ends on your wiring harness. Go to home depot get a couple of eye (round metal end) electrical crimp connectors and a couple of male blade end connectors with a couple on short (2") pieces of 14 to 18 gauge wires make two short adaptors that can be bolted to the battery and left on. Than you just plug and unplug the terminal end just as you did at the other battery. You will need a crimping tool. If you don't have one just buy a cheap kit at home depot or harbor freight that includes an assortment of connectors. Easy fix if you have the tools. Good luck
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Sounds like you aren't putting this battery in a water tight box. If you don't want to change the terminal ends on your wiring harness. Go to home depot get a couple of eye (round metal end) electrical crimp connectors and a couple of male blade end connectors with a couple on short (2") pieces of 14 to 18 gauge wires make two short adaptors that can be bolted to the battery and left on. Than you just plug and unplug the terminal end just as you did at the other battery. You will need a crimping tool. If you don't have one just buy a cheap kit at home depot or harbor freight that includes an assortment of connectors. Easy fix if you have the tools. Good luck
Awesome, thanks. Easy fix!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Next time go with a lifep04 battery. A fraction of the weight and more compact. Now is it worth the money....YES.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
They are nuts and bolts connections, and I was wondering how I could adapt them to fit my fish finder wiring, preferably keeping the quick connect/disconnect capability. Thanks for any help!
I'd just makes some small adapters with a Approriate sized ring crimp connector and a spade crimp connector.

Bolt the rings to the terminals then attach your current wiring to the spades.

Personally I'd bend the rings to 90 degrees the run the wires tag ends with the spades on ot the top of the battery where I'd tape them down so just the spades stick out like the terminals of your old battery. You also may want to wrap the main terminals with electrical tape to keep them from shorting out aganist anything.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Yep, simple adapter will do. If you want to go further then instead of bolting on an adapter, solder one on and then coat the whole terminal with epoxy to make it moisture/corrosion proof.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Yep, simple adapter will do. If you want to go further then instead of bolting on an adapter, solder one on and then coat the whole terminal with epoxy to make it moisture/corrosion proof.
X2
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
X2
Yep. That's what I have. Put some dielectric grease to keep the corrosion away as well.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smthtnnr View Post
I got tired of my 10ah fish finder battery dying on the water, so I bought a new 18ah 12v battery, that I found a good deal on. However, I didn't notice until I got it that it has entirely different terminals that the quick connect and disconnect terminals I'm used to. Here are a couple pictures of the terminals, they are pretty big maybe an inch long. They are nuts and bolts connections, and I was wondering how I could adapt them to fit my fish finder wiring, preferably keeping the quick

connect/disconnect capability. Thanks for any help!
Be careful, there is enough amperage in that battery if it shorts out the ark can burn a hole in the yak very quick. Find some way of keeping it protected. The voice of experience, got dumped in the surf and luckily i was on the beach.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
Be careful, there is enough amperage in that battery if it shorts out the ark can burn a hole in the yak very quick. Find some way of keeping it protected. The voice of experience, got dumped in the surf and luckily i was on the beach.
Always use a proper sized fuse! A battery melting a hole through your yak can never be a good thing.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote