Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
iethinker

...and kids love 'em

This is a kayak fishing report from Carlsbad CA on 7/24/2015.

The executive summary is:
Catch: Yellowtail
Where: Carlsbad Canyon (Near Top)
Legnth: 37-inches to tip of tail (not fork)
Weight: 14-lbs (thinner than my last version)
Depth: I don't know FF crapped out at 330-feet
Water Temp: 72-degrees
Kids on the beach: Love mysterious man from the ocean with big fish!

Carlsbad YT:

Full Story:
I launched here due to a prediction of low-surf. There were still a few larger sets that came through and the launch saw my bathtub get full and my hat get knocked-off! This area can provide a testosterone boosting surf experience despite any predictions.

Immediately after launching in front of the lagoon, I went to 20-feet of water and turned north. The terain below changed to craggly and grassy as I move towards the area in front of the jetties. Also has some debth changes with as low as 8-feet being reported. Good structure and kind of a reef thing going on here.

At "the reef" I could see Greenback Mackerels (GBMs) around the yak but the Baracuda and Calico bite was so dominant that that the greenies eluded me.

Micro-Cuda was first catch of the day with several larger versions to fiollow:

Calicos joined the mix at "the reef" as well. This was the first of them and another was probably 18-inches but shook the kastmaster off at the yak:

I decided to let the reef distract me no more and headed out to 60-feet of water where I finally pulled two GBMs. Turned out this is all I would need.

I originally wanted to come here to the deep Carlsbad Canyon area and see if anything interesting exists in the area. Along the way I snapped some photos of the glassy conditions.

Heading deeper over glass...what a great ride...:

Looking back at the powerplant during the day:

I trolled the GBM out over the canyon and circled around that area seeig nothing on the bottomless FF for a few hours. I took a break, ate my breakfast, trolled some more then thought about heading back in. At this point I'm at least 3.5 miles off-shore and have no idea of my debth. No sooner than I have the thought....click...click...click...zoom! I'm on!

After a short sleighride and short up & down battle I pull the YT to the YAK. No gaff...just a gill grab. I decided to tow this guy alive back to the beach for maximum freshness.

The return voyage saw the galssy conditions turn to micro-white caps. The wind from the north picked-up. A current was running from north to south. I was suprised how far south I had drifted. Pulling a live fish plus fighting the conditions meant 1.5mph steady or 2.0mph with olympic effort. The voyage took well over an hour.

Near the launch/landing, I slit the YT's gills and head-in. I caught a nice wave (larger variety for the day) and slid onto the sand. My fish (being towed about 10-feet behind then slides up beside me.

The beach being crowded with kids of all ages quickly erupts into a scene of facination. Of course I get to answer the famous question " Is that a Tuna?". I thoroughly enjoy the entertainment and educational segments of my kayak fishing adventures on bigwatersedge.com!

YT on the yak:

YT collar and ribs on the grill...have you ever had the bacon of the fish...MMMMM

Until next time...Matt

Last edited by iethinker; 07-26-2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Massive Typos
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Oh yeah the best part!

I'm glad you didn't throw the collars and the ribs away!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
surfisher

Holy smokes that is glassy! I love that area, so fun for a quick session if the waves aren't up.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Matt_Magnone
Junior

Killer job and report!
(951) 658-7410
Matt_Magnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
mpc

Congrats. Are you launching from Tamarack or a bit farther north where the surf kayaks go out?
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
Congrats. Are you launching from Tamarack or a bit farther north where the surf kayaks go out?
X2 id love to know where as well, but I'm a sissy and big waves scare me
supaboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
FISH11

Congrats on the catch and the collar on the plate is only just waiting to hit the grill.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
Vikingj

Nice fish and fantastic report and photo. Loved the kid pic and the story it told. You ought to seriously consider publishing this in a sports magazine. I have published photos and stories and none of them were as good as yours.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
iethinker

AO Shared

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post

Locations indicated are approximate:
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
mpc

Thanks man. I appreciate you taking the time to pass along that info. I see the surf kayak guys launch there and it looks do able on the right day. I went to Tamarack with my kayak and gear a few weeks ago and chickened out. I think the beach is a lot steeper there. I'll try farther south sometime this summer.

Last edited by mpc; 07-27-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Typo on direction
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
SeaDog

Nice map! Thanks for the report, I was thinking about giving Carlsbad Canyon a run next week.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote