Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
steveooo

Leo Carillo

I'm going camping @ Leo Carillo this weekend with the yak. Anybody ever camp/ fish there? Advice?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Dan

Camping there rocks. All the sites are great. Typically an easy launch, except of course we're expecting a huge WNW swell. Head north or south for plenty of bass/halibut fishing...plenty of kelp.

If you're bringing mountain bikes, sycamore canyon to the north is great. Neptune's Net is a long stroll or short ride to the north, peel and eat shrimp are the poop.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
MKNOTT

I fished there years ago and the fishing was really pretty good. I did say to myself "Man, I coulda fished LJ today". Lots of turd rollers and Halibut are caught there. Have Fun....

MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
T-Rex

Nice campground and as others have said good fishing north and south. Not a bad longboard wave if you surf.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
JRD
Junior

Leo

Its a great place. Bring your wheels and launch to the south of the point unless the bigger sets are coming in. The the north side is a shore break and timing is critical but you dont have to battle 2-3 sets. Right in front of the launch area "the stairs" its all cobble stones with some really sneaker boilers so be careful. Down the beach to the south its a bit better and the boilers are easier to see, plus you are out of the lineup that way.

Go south about 1/4 - 1/3 mile to the reef and area called Zero's you'll know you are there when you are directly offshore the road that falls off the cliff. That whole area is fishy with shallow water rockies, bass and butts and a good showing of blacks lately so be careful. My first ever kayak WSB came there on Christmas Eve about 10 years ago. Deeper out off the launch in about 100 or more there is all you can want DAbs. Go north about 2 miles to County Line / Deep Hole for more structure than you can fish in a weekend. Bring squid, the nearest market at Trancas canyon does not have fresh and the nearest tackle store "Whileys" (spelling) is about 8 miles down the coast but always has a good quality frozen bait.

For camping they have great showers and facilities but bring quarters and shower early they water is solar heated and gets cold at night and in the morning. The little store on site is near useless but good for a quick fix soda or candy bar. It does get a bit cold in the AM and the wind will often haul ass down the canyon in which the camp ground is situated. If you have small ones there are tadpoles, crayfish and frogs in the creek right along the camp ground. Hmmmm dont say I told you so but the cray fish make great sheepshead bait.

Have a great time and let us know how the fishing is.

JRD
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
. Neptune's Net is a long stroll or short ride to the north, peel and eat shrimp are the poop.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM FRO SOME REASON SHRIMP DONT SOUND AS GOOD WHEN U SAY " THE POOP " INTSTEAD OF "THE SHIT " GO FIGURE
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
yakrider

Stevooo...
Definitely one of the best places to fish up north...
you won't have any trouble locating killer areas to fish...
JRD pretty much summed it up...
my favorites to tho are the 2.5 oz mega bait iron in the green mac pattern, the trusty christmas tree swimmy, or the Larry Heron color...
reefs and kelp for miles to the north...
and if you surf...bring you long board...really fun right....
too bad I'm goin' south...woulda loved to fish with ya...
we're gonna try the San Elijo SB camp ground...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
805gregg

I've caught good halibut there just outside of the kelp. That was in the summer though. Be carfull this weekend is predicted to have good size swells. Great camping I camped there with my family in the 60's.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
steveooo

Thanks to everyone that gave me a heads up about what’s up at Leo Carrillo.

Bottom line- Leo Carrillo Rocks. Even without fishing as much as I would have liked, I have a feeling that it will easily become one of my favorite spots.

Went camping @ Leo with the wife and two other couples this weekend. Heard there was going to be a 6-8 ft NW swell, but decided to throw the yak on anyways. After fighting some mean traffic we arrive and set up camp in the dark on Friday night.

We woke up to find a really nice quiet campground. The spaces are far enough apart that you don’t feel like you neighbors are up in your grill. Big sycamore and oak trees are all over the campground. It is easy to forget that you are only a short walk to the beach.

After breakfast we decide to take the 5-minute walk from our campsite to the beach, and it was friggen awesome. Expecting to see 8 ft waves pounding the shore, I was pleasantly surprised to find lake-like conditions and one of the most beautiful beaches you could ever imagine. We started by playing around in the tide pools. Saw some cool critters.

To the north, there is a rocky shore break.

You could easily time the shore break, but I did not bother because of the sheltered conditions to the south. 6-8 feet? More like 6-8 inches.

It is all rocky beach, but with some wheels (or some dragging) it is easy to find a good place to put in.

The first time we launched it was mostly to explore. The kelp and reefs are about a 5-minute paddle away.

We threw the crocs and fish-traps for about half an hour, for only a few lost bass and this little guy.

We went back to the campground for lunch a lil nap, and went back for an afternoon session. I’m sad to say that we didn’t catch any real fish, but we couldn’t have asked for better conditions. No wind, 25 + ft of vis. Lake Leo.

We caught about a dozen perfect size smelt and dragged them on the bottom for about an hour, following the kelp line from 70 to 25 feet. We fished for only about an hour but we struck out. Every inch of Leo is gorgeous, and I’m sure is loaded with bass, halibut and tons of other fish. Maybe a little current is what we needed? Either way, no complaints on my end. I really just loved being out on the water in such a nice place in summer like conditions.

Although fishing was not spectacular this time, I will definitely be booking another site at Leo.

Here are a few random shots from the weekend.

The crew

The truck (still for sale!)

Throwing knives = Highly illegal, but way fun.

Drinking by the fire

Looking North

The end

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

looks like fun, at least you made it on the water!