Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
red34
Junior

My New X-13

Well I took the plunge and traded my Mini-X for an X-13 this week. I can’t wait to put the boat in the water. Probably gonna give it a run tomorrow morning so that I can test out how I want to rig this thing up.
I started really simple with just a few things like a new seat and a low profile rope cleat.

I added 2 diagonal rod tubes to my old crate because I wanted to be able to lay my spare rods a little lower. Especially when fishing under the 66 bridge here on Rayburn. I was sick of having them scratch under the pilings when straight up. I’m sure it’ll be a little nicer in the wind too.

I will be adding this Scotty anchor setup to the rear of the boat so that I don’t have to carry my anchor in my lap anymore. I will add a height extender as well to get the anchor completely out of the water. This should make hopping from green light to green light at the coast a lot simpler. Also will be cool for deploying the drift sock on a big fish.

Added some paddle clips because Malibu’s bungee holder simply does not hold down with any authority.

Also picked up a bed extender from Harbor Freight. They are on sale for $24.99 right now. I’ll use it for height and go over my bed cover to the roof rather than in the bed of the truck for long distance transport.

I still have a few decisions to make and some rigging to do:

1. What to do with the front hatch

2. Where I will carry live bait

3. Add a Scotty rod holder with a height extender to the center console

4. I'll add a Fish Finder and battery system in the near future

More pics to come as I go.
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
ericko

I gots to get me 1 of those bed extenders....nice call
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
red34
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericko View Post
I gots to get me 1 of those bed extenders....nice call
With my bed cover, it's pretty much the only way to be able to take the kayak anywhere. If I'm just running to the lake, I can toss it in the back and close the lid with the tailgate open, but if I'm going anywhere long distance or need to put anything in the bed, I can switch it around and have the kayak up above the bed. And I can still open the bed cover with it up there. Pretty handy.

The only drawback to it being able to come apart like that is having to buy 3 locks for all the connections if you need to secure it and the kayak to the truck
Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
joyjiggin'

You are going to like your x-13, I love mine. I am going to put on paddle clips as you did, great idea. Those bungee things don't even hold my gaff steady. Happy yaking!
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
red34
Junior

I took my new X-13 out today for a quick paddle and preliminary rigging check. All in all I am extremely satisfied with the boat. First off, I think that the handles that they use on this kayak are FAR SUPERIOR to the ones on the Mini-X or the Extreme or any of the other models that employ the webbing handles.

The boat felt very stable under me (I’m 6’ - 220lbs). There was a tiny bit of water in the foot wells and a tiny bit under my seat. I am at the weight limit of what they guys at Malibu recommend for this kayak (for the person, not the max limit) and it really isn’t too bad. I had a lot of my gear in the kayak and did not plug the front hatch so I would assume it would be a bit drier with that plugged.

First thing I noticed is how far it will continue to go after you quit paddling. This is a really fast, straight tracking boat. I’m not one for paddling miles and miles and I was pretty surprised at how far out I would be after only a few strokes. It very slightly wanted to turn into the wind and waves, but I think that’s pretty natural for most boats, but overall very straight tracking w/o a rudder. I also shallow tested it and it will float in just a few inches of water.

I was able to transition to sitting side saddle which is how I generally fish, scoot my way up to the front hatch, and reach around to my crate with ease. I really never even got close to dumping the boat. It is pretty low to the water, which is probably where most of that stability comes from.

Now for the negatives… There was a little water in my seat, which I personally don’t like. I think that on calm water plugging the seat would be fine, but obviously not in the surf due to the need for the seat to drain. There was a tiny bit of bow slap when quartering into the waves. I personally don’t consider this a negative because the bow flare that makes this happen, is necessary not to get your cockpit washed out when heading out through the surf…or any rough water for that matter. I bought this boat for breaking through the surf and trolling long distances BTB with ease and I think it’s really going to do that and handle the lakes and bays with ease and comfort.

Other than those tiny details, I am very happy with this kayak. It’s definitely the most versatile boat that I’ve owned so far.

I’ll keep my rigging pics coming as I continue working with it.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
red34
Junior

Here are some of the new things i've done to my kayak. I really want to keep it pretty simple so I'm almost done.

The anchor system still needs a height extension.

I switched all the bungee hooks on the deck rigging with ones from Hobie. I think they are much more durable and easier to work with.

I haven't decided how to do the bait tank yet, but I'll probably use a 3 gal bucket rather than the front hatch.

As far as the bait taink goes, what would you guys recommend? Re-circulating system or just a generic bubbler? I don't want to plumb the boat or go through the hull. I was thinking of doing a re-circulation system with a level overflow and then just adding new water every so often. I don't always use live bait, so I don't want to alter the whole setup for it.