Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
red34
Junior

X-13 Front Hatch As A Live Well???

I just got this boat and I haven’t had a chance to test this yet, but I figured I’d post it to see if anyone had tried anything similar. I am trying to decide where I should carry live bait in this kayak. I live in Texas and none of my bait really needs constantly flowing water like mackerel or sardines so I will not be dragging a bilge pump or plumbing the kayak. I had planned on using a aerator or recirculation pump of some sort coupled with a constant level overflow (Holes in the bucket or a piece of PVC adapted to be a scupper plug) so that I can just periodically pour in new water and the level will regulate itself.

Have any of you guys turned the front hatch into a bait tank, or will the boat begin to nose dive before you can put enough water into it to be useful?
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Grego

I forgot my battery once and was able to keep 3 macs alive all morning long. This past weekend I had a nice bass that I kept in case nobody had anything worth while to weigh. It lived in there for at least 5 hours and happily swam away with a lot of spunk when I released it. I did absolutely nothing to the front hatch, just unplugged the plug I had in the scupper hole to let the water go freely in and out. If you don't have to change baits frequently and your only going to carry 3-5 or so mac type fish (hardy) the front hatch will work without doing anything. It will get old real fast if you have to change baits every 15 minutes, sliding your way up there isn't the most convenient thing to do.

Where in Texas are you fishing? I fished Galveston once....got me a "Gulf Coast Slam"....one of them redfish, speckled sea trout, and a flounder.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
red34
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
I forgot my battery once and was able to keep 3 macs alive all morning long. This past weekend I had a nice bass that I kept in case nobody had anything worth while to weigh. It lived in there for at least 5 hours and happily swam away with a lot of spunk when I released it. I did absolutely nothing to the front hatch, just unplugged the plug I had in the scupper hole to let the water go freely in and out. If you don't have to change baits frequently and your only going to carry 3-5 or so mac type fish (hardy) the front hatch will work without doing anything. It will get old real fast if you have to change baits every 15 minutes, sliding your way up there isn't the most convenient thing to do.

Where in Texas are you fishing? I fished Galveston once....got me a "Gulf Coast Slam"....one of them redfish, speckled sea trout, and a flounder.

i usually go to the corpus / port aransas area. i used to live there so i still have places to stay and i know the area fairly well. flounder are a nice treat. you kinda have to target them specifically or luck into one while throwing for trout and reds. that's one fish here that i've always had a difficult time catching consistantly.

i guess what i'll have to do is fill the front hatch to different levels and see how much water is too much. what it naturally holds might be perfect...i haven't tested it yet.

i was going to install a threaded pvc coupler so that i can either cap it off (plugged) or have a length of pvc pipe so that it drains down only to the level of the top of the pipe. when i'm drifting or sitting still, i'm generally side saddle so the reach is no big deal.
red34 is offline   Reply With Quote