Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Lowrance underperformance

I guess Lowrance doesn't consider the So. Cal. Kayak market worth worrying about. Looks like I'm going to reconsider a Simrad (as many Party Boats are equiped with and I'm familiar with).
Maybe even a Hummingbird, or Garmin.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Regor
Greg

Spoke with the Lowrance rep tonight at FHS. He swears that the 4.1 update (that came out within the last 30 days) contains the fix for the contour lines.

I cannot confirm or deny.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Spoke with the Lawrence rep tonight at FHS. He swears that the 4.1 update (that came out within the last 30 days) contains the fix for the contour lines.

I cannot confirm or deny.
I was at the show tonight but had limited time to search for the Lowrance Booth, as I was helping out one of our kayak brothers.

Can you tell me where they were set up?
---------------------------
BTW My Generation 2 Model has all the latest software updates and it does not include the area Cardiff to the Mexican Border.

They also Did Not have a fix at the Long Beach Fred Hall Show last week. Kevin showed them the missing info on a new Gen 2 Model.

You can scroll the mapping at Fred Hall to confirm this info does, or does not exist. I will return Sunday.

Demand that they show you on the display unit !
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
Regor
Greg

Lowrance is right next to the Bass Tank in the same building as the Mammoth Lakes Seminar area, Fastlane, & Kevin (Sea Samurai) (third building).

It was Don Lovino (42 year employee of Lowrance) who swore that the fix is in there. I even asked him at his seminar, right in front of the crowd. Maybe the thing to do when you are there next time is - they have an HDS setup right there at the Seminar that he teaches. Walk up during/after the seminar and navigate to the page in front of the crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I was at the show tonight but had limited time to search for the Lowrance Booth, as I was helping out one of our kayak brothers.

Can you tell me where they were set up?
---------------------------
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
WahooUSMA

Wish I would have know about this a couple months ago. Just bought an HDS8.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Billy V

When I return Sunday I will find a Lowrance rep and pull up La Jolla.

I just did this 2 weeks ago with a lowrance customer service rep on the phone.
-He also swore it was there, until I gave him the GPS #'s to look at - then I was placed on a loooong Hold.

I was told my Gen 2 has the most recent software version, buit the contour lines are not there.
-----------------------
Its simple enough to do. Make them show you La Jolla Canyon on the chart.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Dan K
Junior

Thanks Billy. I was going to step up to a Simrad NSE and based on what you have posted, this will seriously alter my plans. Ron ad the big West Marine showed me both the Lowrance HDS-10 and the Simrad 12. No mention of the most important areas to us local fisherman. Again, thanks!
Dan
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I guess Lowrance doesn't consider the So. Cal. Kayak market worth worrying about. Looks like I'm going to reconsider a Simrad (as many Party Boats are equiped with and I'm familiar with).
Maybe even a Hummingbird, or Garmin.
FFY
Simrad is owned by Lowrance, and also Does Not have the contour lines I was talking about. I have personally checked the high end units at West Marine, they all have the same missing information.

Cardiff to the Mexican Border and extending out 2 miles.