Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
BigSexyFritz
Junior

tides and bait for lobster

I went out last night to Ventura harbor breakwater for my first attempt at getting some bugs on my yak. Well I got one keeper which that made me satisfied for my first time.

But I have questions still. Does the high and low tides make a big difference? The guys that did best all got them pretty fast in the evening between 7 and 8. But after about 9 pm the fishing slowed way down and by high tide there was hardly any bugs crawling.

Second is about bait? What work type works best? Does old fish worl at all? Chunked bait or whole?

Thanks in advance.
BigSexyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
dorado50

I would say you pretty much answered your own questions! Doesn't happen often either.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
DocHaole

If you ask 10 different people about the tides you may get 10 different responses, but I pretty much ignore the tides except for how it affects my beach launch.

Keep in mind I only have 1 full season under my belt. But I have found that regardless of tide they usually crawl hardest for the first few hours after sunset then it drops off. So personally I will stay for 2-3 hours after sunset than call it a night.

As for the bait, I like to cut it up. split your salmon heads into 1/2s or 1/4s, and slice up the macks.

Hope this helps, but keep in mind this is not the advice of a seasoned veteran.
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
BigSexyFritz
Junior

Thanks for the info. One more question though. Where do you guys get the salmon heads at?
BigSexyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexyFritz View Post
Thanks for the info. One more question though. Where do you guys get the salmon heads at?
Basically any Asian fish market. They will even cut them for you. Tell them not to wash them though.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i drop 4 nets with 4 different baits: salmon heads. macs. sardines. cod heads. cod heads are only $1.20/lb and it STINKS. whatever bait catches a bug.. i switch to that bait for the night.

as for tides... the genuine overall statistic... it doesnt matter.
personal preferance.. i like to go during a higher tide (doesnt matter if its incoming or outgoing). i try to fish close to breakwalls.. and the higher tide will let me drop nets over rocks while still being a bit further off the walls.

i've tried a morning and an evening crawl. i even did a 10hr session before. i can say the first few hours after the sunset.. and the 1hr before sunrise is best. the in between middle of the night is slowww.