Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
mark kleiter

San Diego Bay/Coronado

Launched my kayak from the beach near the ferry boat/fishing pier off Coronado. Kicked over across the bay in the morning for some bass. Tide was c outgoing and the chew was on. Had about 6 spotties and a couple sandies in the first hour on swimbaits and gulp pink and white grub. About 9:30 went over to the westside and started to fish the clam beds for a couple more. Made my way north towards the navy boats and was thinking about the grass in the flats and how much grass has been growing since the weather and water temp has been favorable. Started with a 3 inch pink swimbait on a yellow 1/2oz head. First cast, 3rd cast,4th cast,6,8, and well you get the picture. Spotties galore! Had a couple hit the 1/2 oz white and brown blade too. Made my way slowly towards the north when I ran into a hole from 8 ft towards 15+. I was thinking Halibut Hole! Changed baits to a 4 inch chartuese gulp grub. First cast had a hit and a run to deep water, peeling line. Kicked after it cause my line was going off. Made it to about 35 ft and was on top of it. Started to reel and it took a run then came unbuttoned. Made my way back to the same spot and repeated my cast and retrieve. Felt some weight and lifted the rod to another screaming run. Set my drag a little tighter and didn't let it get more than 20 ft before it was under me. A minute later pulled it to color, grabbed the gaff, and got another Halibut worth bragging about in the last 2 weeks. 34in and over 10 pounds. Kept throwing the 1/2 oz green head with chartuese gulp swim bait for a total of 25-30 bass on the day and 4 halibut. Released 2 others that went over 26 in. Good day for sure.
Attached Images

mark kleiter is offline   Reply With Quote