Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

King Harbor Boat Ramp Meeting

There was an informal meeting in Redondo today about the boat ramp proposals being considered. The Coastal Commission is requiring the city of Redondo to add a boat ramp for increased public access as part of the waterfront remodel project permit. The Redondo Beach Waterfront Director Steven Prow and John Moore from Nobel Consultants presented at the meeting.
The City displayed a number of sites and designs around King Harbor...none of which will be done in the very near future...especially this one which is the most expensive version with $6,000,000 just in new breakwalls.

The hand launch facilities (kayaks & SUP's) in this version would be at the new Seaside Lagoon that would be open to the harbor.

Nobel Consultants looked at all the designs that have been presented to the city since the 50's. They had designs for at least 4 different sites in the harbor with both single lane and double lane ramps and anywhere from 20 trailer parking sites to 40...the trailer parking places were 40' long.
It's a tough project to locate with all the developed and prime real estate along the harbor.
There are two more public meetings coming up...
March 9th 6pm at 403 N. PCH, RB 2nd floor of the main Library.
March 14th 6:30 Harbor Commission Discussion at 415 Diamond St. RB

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Fish Taco

Meant to get to the meeting but couldn't make it. Was there any mention of a freshwater wash down area near the proposed ramp? I'll try to get to the next meeting on 3/9. Thanks Jim for the update & photo... I like the looks of it so far, just hope I'm not an old man by the time it actually gets built!

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

washdown

Fish Taco...Yes there was mention of a prep area and a washdown at each ramp proposal.
There are two more meeetings...

Old 02-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
jorluivil

Jim, today at our post fishing lunch get together we were talking about this and were wondering about the following.

What will happen to the hand launch?

Will the lagoon be accessible to use as a launch site?

Parking fees; is the fee structure going to change for everyone. Basically, will it cost a kayaker the same as a boater to park and launch?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

answers...

[QUOTE=jorluivil

"What will happen to the hand launch?"
It looks like the docks will be removed and the lagoon will be open to the harbor. SUP's and Kayaks will be able to launch from the sand...much like Mother's beach in Dana.
It seems to depend on where they locate the ramp as to if a hand launch is incorporated or not. I asked about it and I'll continue to ask at each meeting.

"Will the lagoon be accessible to use as a launch site?"
It seems like that is the city's intention.
These public meetings are focused on the boat ramps and the city didn't really want to get off track but I'll try and get an answer at the next meeting.

"Parking fees; is the fee structure going to change for everyone. Basically, will it cost a kayaker the same as a boater to park and launch?[/QUOTE]"
This answer to this question is too far off in the future...if the latest parking fee changes last year are an example of the City's intent to make money...I guess we'll keep getting screwed...The validations at the Sportfishing Pier or Captain Kidds will probably continue to be the best way to go.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

thanks for the heads up

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote