Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Battle of the Bays report...

THANKS to all that participated in the inaugural Battle of the Bays tournament yesterday...
THANKS to all the CCA volunteers that did everything from judging, checking-in, the raffle, icing the drinks and helping with the food prep...Yani...thanks thanks thanks !!!
Mother Nature tried to dampen our spirits and rain on our parade but there was too much fun to be had

By the time we launched all the SWBA boats were already on the water and we had the ramp to ourselves.

To even out the field a little we had a "shotgun" start at 7am. with about 45 kayaks and one SUP and a few float-tubbers.

Zach Zorn shot some drone footage and I'll post a link when its available.

If you zoom in you can see Mitchel with his rig ready for battle at the top of the crowd...

The water conditions weren't too bad inside...the wind was up but it never really blew until the guys were off the water.

Everyone seemed to have a great time including our Chef Yanni...

Yanni really did that swordfish good with his homemade salsas, and he made those beans taste a lot better too. That Division 23 beer was a great way to wash down those fish tacos...Thanks Kellen!

The iAngler app and the hawg troughs worked great...and I urge other tournaments to take a look at the format...it's really good for the fish and they go right back to where they were caught!
You can go to the iAngler site and view the leaderboard and the photos...it's pretty cool system.
http://www.ianglertournament.com/tou...aderboard/1680

The youngest angler in the tournament...John Pateros caught his first Halibut on an Alabama rig and he won the $330 big fish side pot at 6.5 pounds and he also won a Savage Gear $100 gift card for the biggest Halibut. Mitchell Fromang was second with a 4.6 pound halibut

Tom Buckalew won second place in the bass CPR with 2 Spottys at 30.5 inches.
Tom won a $250 gift card at Baja Fish Gear and the Promar/AHI incentive package drawing. "Hobie Tom" didn't want to give any details on his catches.

Cameron Chang...part of the Chang Gang...won third place with a Sand Bass...the Chang Gang braved the swells and wind to fish the outside and their strategy paid-off big time.
Cameron took home a $125 Turners gift card provided by Rick Jensen at Sportfishing Financial.

Our CCA CAL executive Director Wayne Kotow did a great job calling the raffle...we made a little under $2000...thank you kayak community for supporting CCA.

Some Guys are Good and some guys are Lucky...and yet others know how to combine the two and that's exactly what Derwin Chang did on Saturday...he led his two sons (the Chang Gang) outside the harbor to pick up a few big sandies and calicos...and his game plan worked out. Camron got 3rd place and Derwin not only won the CPR bass tourney but he also caught the biggest bass...
He took home a $500 gift card to spend at the completely stocked Dana Landing and a pail of Hookup Baits...to top off his winnings he was also the winner of the i11s Hobie Mirage drive inflatable kayak...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-07-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Great tourney Jim!!!
Thanks to CCA and all who helped!
Yani food was amazing!!
Thanks!
Todd
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

Thanks Todd

Thanks Todd and thank you for the great Sand Bass art piece...!

Here is a little teaser of the drone footage...

Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Baja_Traveler

Had a lot of fun on Saturday, even though I came up empty handed on both fish and raffle prizes. The rain was nice enough to hold off for us, but we had to contend with wind, which only got heavier as the day went on. Luckily the swell did not arrive on time, and getting out of the bay was nice. 5-6 kayaks took a right turn towards the wrecks, and I took a left turn towards the OB pier and kelp. Fished the backside of the jetty off dog beach to see if the halibut would cooperate, then headed south.
Messed around out there for several hours without a bite, and decided I had better make my way back in as the wind was really starting to pick up. The benefit of going south was the wind just blew me straight back to the jetties so pedaling was nice and easy, and I cruised in right down the middle to avoid building swells rebounding off the rocks. Not so easy for the guys who went towards the wrecks - but that's where the winning fish came from. As I was working the area at the base of the jetties a Lifeguard boat came ripping by sirens blaring - I guess one of us cut the jetty too close coming in and got washed onto the rocks. Don't know who it was - but I hope it all turned out alright and you didn't loose too much gear. I figured it was heading for one of the outrigger canoes - I think every outrigger in So. Cal. was out there - they were swarming like flies.
Managed to catch two 18" barracuda and a small mackerel in the bay, which is better than nothing I guess. This is the only fin I saw outside - wish I could say it was a shark, as that would have been much cooler...
Looking forward to June 10th to try it all over again.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Kai, it was good spending time with you.

I overheard someone talking to Tony after the raffle.
He had filliped and lost all his rods.

Tony knows more of the story.

See you on the water in Redondo beach event.

One last chance for me to win the inflatable Hobie.

Maybe the Cedros trip.

I am still having issue with posting pictures.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote