Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Yak mako

This is from last year. Biggest we were able to hook. 98lb on the spring scale and 6’2” if I remember right. Credit goes to Ed for the hookup and getting her to leader. I tailed and bled it.

I sold my little blue kayak and in the market for a bigger one for this season. Goal is a 300lb + model.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
fishnfoool

A 300 pound kayak is pretty heavy. I think you should stick with a lighter model.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
A 300 pound kayak is pretty heavy. I think you should stick with a lighter model.
300lb mako. I’m picking up the tarpon 16 that was for sale on the board. Should do well.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:43 AM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
300lb mako. I’m picking up the tarpon 16 that was for sale on the board. Should do well.

I hate to be that guy but..... I've fished sharks all my life. caught them local to around 400lbs, and leader-ed a lot of Makos, and I would not do it. Larger Mako's over 200lbs are much more aggressive than the smaller ones especially big males. A 300lb Male Mako would likely attack your yak, and it could easily rip a hole in it the size of a basketball before you could even react to it.

Larger Makos like to hunt full grown swordfish, and often kill swords that are twice their size on the surface. I have seen this first hand. What they like to do is attack sword while it's basking on top, and they come up from below grab the caudal peduncle and just rip the swords tail completely off. They then wait till they bleed out and feed on them.

Fred Archer and I once shot the shit about the aggressiveness of the big makos and his take is they fear nothing, because nothing, not even killer whales can kill them. He knew a guy that was killed when a big mako jumped into his boat, and bit into his leg so deep it severed his femoral artery.

I mean I get it, it's exciting to think about landing something that big on a yak, but I would not recommend trying it with larger makos.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Here's vid I found right away of a decent maybe 250 pound mako attacking a sword and the boat while the guys are trying to land a big sword.

https://youtu.be/1QS5Nww2NrI

From the way it behaved I thought that was a male but looking closer it's a female.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-07-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
I hate to be that guy but..... I've fished sharks all my life. caught them local to around 400lbs, and leader-ed a lot of Makos, and I would not do it. Larger Mako's over 200lbs are much more aggressive than the smaller ones especially big males. A 300lb Male Mako would likely attack your yak, and it could easily rip a hole in it the size of a basketball before you could even react to it.

Larger Makos like to hunt full grown swordfish, and often kill swords that are twice their size on the surface. I have seen this first hand. What they like to do is attack sword while it's basking on top, and they come up from below grab the caudal peduncle and just rip the swords tail completely off. They then wait till they bleed out and feed on them.

Fred Archer and I once shot the shit about the aggressiveness of the big makos and his take is they fear nothing, because nothing, not even killer whales can kill them. He knew a guy that was killed when a big mako jumped into his boat, and bit into his leg so deep it severed his femoral artery.

I mean I get it, it's exciting to think about landing something that big on a yak, but I would not recommend trying it with larger makos.

This is real.

Trying to land a large shark on a kayak in general is challenging, but Makos are a different bread. I would not recommend trying to harvest one that size on a kayak, maybe in general.

On a related note. This is a large Thresher I caught a while back.
But note, Threshers are not Makos!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
lowprofile

I’m sure I’ll be fine. Thanks for the advice though
Old 02-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
that tarpon 16 was such a steal at that price. I was considering adding it to my stable as well. Hope to see some big ones landed on it
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
matthew7!

How do you target them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
igotpron
Xcoastie

Awesome!! Looks like he’s bobber fishing. Now the question is. Where is he fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
lowprofile

We were fishing San Diego and set a chum slick. He used a styrofoam float and I had a balloon and rubber band as my float for the top baits.