Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
GHOSTHUNTR

You might want to try DVL. I was really into throwing the big swimbaits for stripers a few years ago, and let me tell you, when they eat it there is nothing better in freshwater. Sometimes after a plant they will boil and it really feels like you"re on the ocean. Terns and seagulls and even pelicans showing you where they are. If they are boiling throw the Lunker Punker at em and walk the dog with it. I've had big stripers throw this lure 5 ft. into the air on a miss. Sometimes a frenzy will make you think of tuna, not stripers, they are very aggressive fish. Get the real Punker, not the cheesy plastic one, and throw it on 25 or 30# line. I've got them up to 28# using this method. It is a ton of work, and you have to be at the right place, right time, but when it happens it makes it all worthwhile, kinda like La Jolla. Go the day of the trout stock or the morning after and you will cut the odds considerably.Watch your bait all the back because many times you will see them swirling behind it before they strike, talk about exciting! If they are not boiling, an 8inch Huddleston is your best bet. Get a rate-of fall 5 or 12 and let it sink and then SLOWLY reel it in. If its barely moving it's going the right speed. The best way to rig these baits is with a treble hook and braid. Tie the braid to the eye of the bait and place the hook back behind the dorsal fin, this keeps it weedless and helps with shortbites, which happen alot due to the size of the bait. Hope this helps and, by the way, Stripers are very good eating, and very prolific, please do everyone a favor and take some home with you!!!

Last edited by GHOSTHUNTR; 11-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote