Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Three3Divine
Junior

Comparisons!

Alright so I currently paddle a tarpon 140 i like it but also like the new malibu x 13 what are your guys views stick with the tarpon 140 or switch to the malibu x 13 or maybe a trapon 160 ??

pros and cons

thanks
three3divine
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Useful Idiot

Why do you want a different boat? If you're looking for speed and you feel comfortable with the stability of the 140, then the 160 is what you're looking for. If you want more storage and better deck layout, the X-13 is better. Just depends on what you want out of the kayak.

We've got all three at the new Mission Bay OEX, paddle em all and see what you like best!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Three3Divine
Junior

oh i like my boat im just looking for a little more deck length cuz im pretty tall i stand 6 4 and need my leg room haha what do u recomend for more length
Three3Divine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
flydigital

Fishing a WS Tarpon 160 for the past 5 years here, I'm 6'1 and 230lb and it fits comfortably, fast, yet tippy compared to the wider yaks. But I never have a problem with the stability, never rolled it through thousands of waves and breaking wake encounters even while hooked up. Tried rolling on purpose once to try self recovery and it needed to be about 45deg of lean before it went over, so its quite stable just feels a little tippy if you're not used to it. A great fast ship that cuts through chop much better than most yaks. I can cruise through hard wind and chop at a comfortable 3mph while many yaks barely make any headway (1-2mph). In calm conditions 4-5mph is normal cruise in calm conditions and it can do 7 at max (not for long).

Downsides: heavy, over 70lb I think, limited transportation options (sticking it out of a bed of a truck won't work, its too long). I use the truck extender hitch t-bar with a portable bar over the cab. Its slow to turn, about 30 seconds to do a 180 rotation starting at slow speed. I have a rudder installed but don't use it very often, it doesn't help that much anyhow and lines tend to get caught in it. Yet, after getting used to it I feel I can manuever just as well as a small yak although with more effort required.

I've paddled 10' through 16' and I prefer the 16, gives me confidence in potential bad conditions and handles more like a boat vs. a kayak.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote