Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Dana Point this Monday

Anybody fishing out of Dana this Monday morning? Been putting together a fishing rig for a while and haven't been able to get a good day out on the water, and seeing I'm a noob who's down to join?
Disp0sablehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
octico

I have this Monday off, I have never fished Dana Point and don't feel like fighting traffic on the way home. I was thinking of fishing Newport Beach let me know if you are interested in fishing Newport.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I was just out of DP on Saturday. If it stays similar to what it was then you should try somewhere else. There's fish around, but the bait situation was crazy. Billions of mackerel everywhere, took me about 30 seconds to fill the bait tank near the breakwall. In 70' of water over the pipe there was mackerel from 10' down to 50' solid. In 120' looking into the water was like looking into a snowglobe at times, just sparkles everywhere from the macs with them crashing the surface at times. I'm pretty sure any game fish around was stuffed full of macs. Dropping a mac down into a school of a billion others is obviously pointless. I heard similar reports from others that went towards the headlands.

Unless of course you are targeting mackerel, then DP is where to go!
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I was just out of DP on Saturday. If it stays similar to what it was then you should try somewhere else. There's fish around, but the bait situation was crazy. Billions of mackerel everywhere, took me about 30 seconds to fill the bait tank near the breakwall. In 70' of water over the pipe there was mackerel from 10' down to 50' solid. In 120' looking into the water was like looking into a snowglobe at times, just sparkles everywhere from the macs with them crashing the surface at times. I'm pretty sure any game fish around was stuffed full of macs. Dropping a mac down into a school of a billion others is obviously pointless. I heard similar reports from others that went towards the headlands.

Newport was loaded with Macs a couple of weeks ago .... looks like they may have migrated south.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I have this Monday off, I have never fished Dana Point and don't feel like fighting traffic on the way home. I was thinking of fishing Newport Beach let me know if you are interested in fishing Newport.

Possibly, I'm in the opposite boat as you as I live about a mile from DP harbor if that. If no one else is going out my side I may take you up on the offer. How is launching out of Newport? As a noob launching out of baby beach in the harbor is awesome haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post

At this point I'm just trying to get out on the water and get a feel for it, as I said total noob even to saltwater fishing to be honest. Only been out once on a charter boat with little success. Been out on the water with the yak a couple of times just no real solid day of fishing so the hotspots are something I have yet to find or really even know about, all things I'm looking to learn. Thanks for the info on the mack attack, even that would be good practice filling up my live well.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Newport, we launch in the harbor too. Kids beach (look for public dock) or Coast guard station. Unless you want to try the wedge, lol, jk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
mrJB

Tuesdays are better...

sometimes...

PA070002.jpg
Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
CheapPelican

A mile from the launch, must be nice. Why the hell not? You should stick to the harbor untill you get you get used to fishing on a kayak anyways. Put in at baby beach. No where else is easier. Unload at the yellow curb 20yds from the water. Learn to self rescue in the shallow water. Troll the bay with something shiny for barracuda.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I was out of DP on Monday and as stated before the area is plugged with macks and bonito but I wouldn't let that deter you. I actually had a lot of action on live macks on Monday. Ended up with a couple juvenile WSB and 3 grumpy sand bass, all released. The macks were a little larger than I like to fish with so I missed a few more fish too. I sincerely believe that if a predator has a choice to expend a lot of energy chasing one of the billions of schooled up mackerel or eating one that is partially disabled with a hook through it's nose, he'll choose the easy meal every time. Go get em
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
A mile from the launch, must be nice. Why the hell not? You should stick to the harbor untill you get you get used to fishing on a kayak anyways. Put in at baby beach. No where else is easier. Unload at the yellow curb 20yds from the water. Learn to self rescue in the shallow water. Troll the bay with something shiny for barracuda.
I'll probably end up taking your advice if no one joins me, makes the most sense and though I've been about halfway to SC pier and back a few times I probably should get around to practicing righting a flipped yak haha. Thanks for all the advice and nice halibut looks like a nice fight
Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
octico

I launch from Coast Guard station at NPH. If you go I will stick around the harbor to show you around and give you some advice. If you are really that much of a newb I would also recommend stick around inside the harbor. It can get a little sketchy outside the harbor, specially when the Catalina Flyer decides to go fly past you at full throttle! I really hate that boat
Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Nice to see some fish still being caught through all the bait. I shouldn't have said try somewhere else because of the over abundance of bait right now. It's never a bad idea to go fishing. Just make sure to follow JB and rossman around and not me

Like pelican said stick to the harbor for your first few voyages. Venture out when you feel comfortable and the swells/wind are down. It's always a good idea to have a buddy but in the harbor you're good on your own.. there's always people close by. Don't forget to wear your PFD, leash your stuff. Cuda should be inside, as well croakers, some bass, halbut, sharks/rays, maybe bonita. Try around the bait receiver (watch the sea lions there), under the bridge, in front of the harbor patrol, all along the docks, especially the sportboat docks.

I'm always up for weekend afternoons if you're headed out at that time.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Sweet I'll keep that in mind, what would you guys recommend bait-wise? At least for in the harbor and the kelp on the other side of the break?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
TINCANYAK
Junior

DP Sunday

I just started yak fishing this past summer launching from Baby Beach because it is easy and parking is free. It's a 4 hour limit at the sport fishing / ramp unless I'm missing something? Sunday was thick with Macs but out past and north of the rock plenty of calico and sheepshead...all catch and release. Although the swell was up it was glassy all morning....beautiful day. I hope to work my skill level up and surf launch, make bait and get pulled around with a big yellow someday soon. In the meantime if you are ever looking for some company out of DP just hit me up as I try to get out every weekend.
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINCANYAK View Post
I just started yak fishing this past summer launching from Baby Beach because it is easy and parking is free. It's a 4 hour limit at the sport fishing / ramp unless I'm missing something? Sunday was thick with Macs but out past and north of the rock plenty of calico and sheepshead...all catch and release. Although the swell was up it was glassy all morning....beautiful day. I hope to work my skill level up and surf launch, make bait and get pulled around with a big yellow someday soon. In the meantime if you are ever looking for some company out of DP just hit me up as I try to get out every weekend.
I'm pretty sure the boat ramp is like 24 hrs. I've been out for 6+ hours and never had a problem.

TO build your ego...and saving some $, try launching from Doho beach (the south end of the harbor. Waves hardly break in that area.

Once you get that launch under your belt, launch at Beach and Palisades, in Dana point. It's shore-break and the potential for outside breakers is there, but it's good training for other local surf launch fishing areas.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

It's 4 hour parking if you are in the shopping center parking lot. Go through the launch ramp gate ($10) on Embarcadero Place road and it's 24 hour parking.

If you want to surf launch at Doho beach, launch south of Thor's Hammer where the paddleboarders launch.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #17
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I'm pretty sure the boat ramp is like 24 hrs. I've been out for 6+ hours and never had a problem.

TO build your ego...and saving some $, try launching from Doho beach (the south end of the harbor. Waves hardly break in that area.

Once you get that launch under your belt, launch at Beach and Palisades, in Dana point. It's shore-break and the potential for outside breakers is there, but it's good training for other local surf launch fishing areas.
When I first purchased my hobie I took it out for a spin and not knowing any better I launched at doheny on a day with 3ft surf (same weekend that one guy went missing up at salt Creek) I managed with no spills but have since only launched at baby beach. Doheny didn't seem too intimidating knowing how to time it like I used to when I surfed, but could have just been dumb luck which I can't afford to lose if I'm fully loaded.

Anyhow, I'll be out there Monday if anyone wants to join
Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
Disp0sablehero
Junior

So what are good radio channels to monitor? I'm a Comm guy by trade but don't know what everyone else uses in the area
Old 10-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I think 68-72 are pretty normal channels to scan.

Went out this afternoon and the mack attack has moved on. You gotta work a bit for your bait again.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Guys weren't kidding about the macks that's all I got! Even caught macks with macks haha at least that was the case North of the harbor