Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
rackhenry

New to Kayak Fishing

Hello,

I just picked up a PA12 and would like to see if anyone fishes near Malibu or Leo Carillo, County Line etc ( Ventura County/LA county). Im new to Kayak Fishing so looking to meet some people to fish with and learn from.

Ive been ocean fishing all my life for the most part East Coast and West now, however most of that was on larger boats. This is my first go at kayak fishing. Not sure what to expect, but definitely enjoy being on the ocean.

Ive read Leo is hard to launch from, so could use some pointers for sure. Ive been to CI harbor and the boat launch there is great. My wife and I have been at Leo in the last few weeks and have spoken to a few kayak fisherman but did not catch names and watching you all come in with fish motivated me to try it!!

Im also keen on trying Central Coast fishing and San Diego, any pointers on how to meet some folks in either location would be great as well.

Cheers.

Last edited by rackhenry; 08-02-2019 at 05:29 PM.
rackhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
DragginPanda
Junior

Congratulations to the sport!

I’d stay in the bay until a few trips and to just learn the kayak.

I remember I started and took 4 rods. I fished 4 rods at once. The tangles were epic.
DragginPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:26 AM   #3
ProfessorLongArms

‘Grats on finding the sport!

I’ve been lit up since getting into it.

I’ve never sat in a PA, but fwiw my outback feels like a lot of work in Malibu. It’s heavy and unforgiving if I don’t time my launch/landing just right. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a PA on a beach in Malibu, but ymmv. Part of that equation is the factor of convincing someone to help you carry it to the beach.

Even on a small surf day, reading the sets is no joke, and it can be pretty dangerous to launch/land depending on your paddling skills.

Depending on what you’re targeting, If you’re *just* starting out, I second the recommendation of harbor launching for a bit to get the hang of your ride. There’s a lot of info on here about Dana point, Redondo, etc, and most of the anglers on here in La Jolla seem to do fine with a PA.

I’d offer to join you but I’m mostly diving lately.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Aznronin

If you want to learn to surf launch i would not reccomend the pro anglers. They are heavy and terrible for surf launching. Get a second kayak that’s more suited for surf launching. You PA will be a PIA at any surf launching spots.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
rackhenry

Thanks for the info, yea, watched a few videos. Seems like a lot to learn on surf launching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
‘Grats on finding the sport!

I’ve been lit up since getting into it.

I’ve never sat in a PA, but fwiw my outback feels like a lot of work in Malibu. It’s heavy and unforgiving if I don’t time my launch/landing just right. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a PA on a beach in Malibu, but ymmv. Part of that equation is the factor of convincing someone to help you carry it to the beach.

Even on a small surf day, reading the sets is no joke, and it can be pretty dangerous to launch/land depending on your paddling skills.

Depending on what you’re targeting, If you’re *just* starting out, I second the recommendation of harbor launching for a bit to get the hang of your ride. There’s a lot of info on here about Dana point, Redondo, etc, and most of the anglers on here in La Jolla seem to do fine with a PA.

I’d offer to join you but I’m mostly diving lately.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
If you want to learn to surf launch i would not reccomend the pro anglers. They are heavy and terrible for surf launching. Get a second kayak that’s more suited for surf launching. You PA will be a PIA at any surf launching spots.
Yea, bummer to hear, might actually just sell it. As far as I can tell, some guys are reverse landing the PA in surf!...
Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
BTW, what would you recommend instead of a PA for launching around Leo?
Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
socal.beach.bum

If you’re asking strictly about Hobies, I’ve launched Outback’s out of county line plenty of times with not much issue. A compass would be even easier since it’s a little lighter and just as stable if not more imo.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
If you’re asking strictly about Hobies, I’ve launched Outback’s out of county line plenty of times with not much issue. A compass would be even easier since it’s a little lighter and just as stable if not more imo.
Im not stuck on Hobie, any good fishing kayak that would be stable enough for a tall dude, 6.3, but not a heavy dude.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
Just checked out the 2019 outback, seems like a nice platform.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Bruntoj

In a PA launching is relatively easy. It’s the landing that gets wet, statistically speaking IMHO. I’ve filled the cockpit on the launch and luck/forward momentum has allowed me to power out.

I’ve filled the cockpit coming in, backwards, and had unplanned swims a couple of times now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Cronus
Cheat to win

I use a Feelfree Lure 13.5, its a bit of a barge for beach launches but very stable and comfortable. I launch it from Leo but have to watch for 2' or less surf. I need a real good day to launch from there. I cannot take it to Deer Creek or county line as its too hard to handle on the land (may get a cheap light used yak for this). But with Leo I made a pvc cart with wheeleez and its night and day different to launch there. I never use the stairs that are burned out right now anyways. Watch for a low surf day and huff it. Just make sure you leash your poles, had a buddy loose his there.

For the returns I think I have just been very lucky and have kept in mind what I have learned from youtube. As I am coming in, if a wave is behind me that will crash on me I will paddle backwards into it then chase it to the shore. Only had a hard time on my first one when I tried to surf the wave, didnt roll but got full of sand and pulled off the kayak in 6" deep water, lol.

Will keep an eye out for you, will probably meet up one of these days as there are not too many of us Ventura people on here.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackhenry View Post
Just checked out the 2019 outback, seems like a nice platform.
*Just* talking about a place like Malibu I'll say this:

I'm in a 2017 Outback and I love it.
They're crazy stable and it's hard to beat peddling around, especially when current picks up. QoL is most noticeable when you're drift fishing in current. You don't have to put your rod down to move to, or stay on a spot. Those are huge.

I've posted this before, but I find the launch/landing to be way less forgiving than something longer/narrower/lighter like a Trident. Less stable to be sure.

Learning to launch/land is usually best done by tagging along with someone who's more experienced than you. It's the best way to learn to watch and read sets.

You'll eventually mis-time one and you'll pay for it
Everyone I've gone out with has done it at least once.

When launching that means you'll have to power through and take one in the face. If you don't have enough momentum you'll be pushed back or even worse turned sideways and rolled. When you're standing on the beach with an outback, fully loaded with gear, wearing your life vest, watching the sets, it is a surprising amount of weight. I'm always winded and full of adrenaline by the time I am through the surf zone, and 50/50 on seeing spots. I'd like to think I'm in decent shape.

When landing that means you'll have to be ready to ride and brace, or get turned over as well. I've never tried backing in, though I've seen others do it with pretty good success.

Most important strategy is just having everything secured. No rods sticking up. I have a couple of big velcro straps I made for my outback specifically so I can lash and strap my rods down. No gaff loose. Everything stowed and watertight. Especially your reels. Sand in the surf gets in your reels and never comes out.

Every 3-5 landings I roll, but it's just a matter of ducking under the kayak, grabbing it before the next wave hits, and pulling it up on shore. Having my stuff stowed is the difference between a quick recovery and an absolute mess.

I digress....

If you're shopping around for a kayak to replace your PA, I'd recommend going to a dealer who has a ton of options and renting for the day. Before I bought my outback, I did that at OEX and Andy was awesome about it. He put a few on the beach for me and let me putt around in the canals.

I think your biggest question to ask is what you're looking to target and how you like to fish. Bay vs open water. Long range vs shallows etc.

A longer/leaner ride is way more forgiving in the surf zone, but way less stable once you're out there. An outback is a pretty good compromise IMO, esp if you're interested in covering a good bit of ground with decent speed, not worrying too much about stability, etc.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
*Just* talking about a place like Malibu I'll say this:

I'm in a 2017 Outback and I love it.
They're crazy stable and it's hard to beat peddling around, especially when current picks up. QoL is most noticeable when you're drift fishing in current. You don't have to put your rod down to move to, or stay on a spot. Those are huge.

I've posted this before, but I find the launch/landing to be way less forgiving than something longer/narrower/lighter like a Trident. Less stable to be sure.

Learning to launch/land is usually best done by tagging along with someone who's more experienced than you. It's the best way to learn to watch and read sets.

You'll eventually mis-time one and you'll pay for it
Everyone I've gone out with has done it at least once.

When launching that means you'll have to power through and take one in the face. If you don't have enough momentum you'll be pushed back or even worse turned sideways and rolled. When you're standing on the beach with an outback, fully loaded with gear, wearing your life vest, watching the sets, it is a surprising amount of weight. I'm always winded and full of adrenaline by the time I am through the surf zone, and 50/50 on seeing spots. I'd like to think I'm in decent shape.

When landing that means you'll have to be ready to ride and brace, or get turned over as well. I've never tried backing in, though I've seen others do it with pretty good success.

Most important strategy is just having everything secured. No rods sticking up. I have a couple of big velcro straps I made for my outback specifically so I can lash and strap my rods down. No gaff loose. Everything stowed and watertight. Especially your reels. Sand in the surf gets in your reels and never comes out.

Every 3-5 landings I roll, but it's just a matter of ducking under the kayak, grabbing it before the next wave hits, and pulling it up on shore. Having my stuff stowed is the difference between a quick recovery and an absolute mess.

I digress....

If you're shopping around for a kayak to replace your PA, I'd recommend going to a dealer who has a ton of options and renting for the day. Before I bought my outback, I did that at OEX and Andy was awesome about it. He put a few on the beach for me and let me putt around in the canals.

I think your biggest question to ask is what you're looking to target and how you like to fish. Bay vs open water. Long range vs shallows etc.

A longer/leaner ride is way more forgiving in the surf zone, but way less stable once you're out there. An outback is a pretty good compromise IMO, esp if you're interested in covering a good bit of ground with decent speed, not worrying too much about stability, etc.
Thanks for the awesome feedback. My fishing style is open water , ocean, just too used to YT, WSB and rockfish to bay fish it. Really wanted to hit Cambria for Ling Cod, but PA may have same issue there as its beach launch. Ill try to test some yaks as you suggested.