Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Whizz Bang

Yep

Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #22
lamb

Whizz with the Bang!

I am glad all was good,
that it didn't mistake you for something edible.
It must have been intense.

tails part sounded intense too, coll you got on some.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #23
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E
We don't fish on weekends because we're fools, we fish on weekends because we have other obligations like family and work. I'm not sure exactly where you live, nor do I care(no offense) but living minutes or miles from a launch, any launch, is a huge advantage for anyone that fishes. The last time that I fished on a weekday was last week in baja, the only reason I was able to do was because I took a vacation day, other than that I wouldn't have been able to do it. Anyway, enough about that.

I'm glad everything worked out for you, its always a little more comforting when you hear the story from the source rather than some local news anchor.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #24
Dannowar

The surf is supposed to jack up?

I'm gonna yard sale if I fish?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #25
Whizz Bang

Yep

Danno,

Compared to the last few days, tomorrow will be bigger. 2-3 feet with the wind adding on top of that. If you plan on getting off the water early, you are good. Is it doable, of course. However, I am not a fan of short interval sets if I have a choice. Friday the swell continues and then tapers off.

George,

I live 35 minutes from LJ, quite a bit closer than you I believe. I have two small children, and I am active duty military. I spend almost as much time away as I am home. Some of that time has actually been spent dodging bullets, not drywall, deeds, dry-erase boards, debutantes, or whatever it is that you do (no offense, I really don't care either). When I fish during the week day, I use a vacation day, you might care about that, considering your tax dollars pay for it, thank you for that.

My point stands. I would rather take a day during the week when possible, than cut my weekend in half and lose that time with my family. This is compounded by the fact that I do not enjoy having my lines ran over by twin four-stroke Yamahas a dozen times or so in the desperate search for the elusive solitary school of YT that is not running scared for their lives.

Cough, cough, snivel, snivel, I suggest you call in sick. Summer time, you got to love it.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #26
jorluivil

Quote:
Danno,

Compared to the last few days, tomorrow will be bigger. 2-3 feet with the wind adding on top of that. If you plan on getting off the water early, you are good. Is it doable, of course. However, I am not a fan of short interval sets if I have a choice. Friday the swell continues and then tapers off.

George,

I live 35 minutes from LJ, quite a bit closer than you I believe. I have two small children, and I am active duty military. I spend almost as much time away as I am home. Some of that time has actually been spent dodging bullets, not drywall, deeds, dry-erase boards, debutantes, or whatever it is that you do (no offense, I really don't care either). When I fish during the week day, I use a vacation day, you might care about that, considering your tax dollars pay for it, thank you for that.

My point stands. I would rather take a day during the week when possible, than cut my weekend in half and lose that time with my family. This is compounded by the fact that I do not enjoy having my lines ran over by twin four-stroke Yamahas a dozen times or so in the desperate search for the elusive solitary school of YT that is not running scared for their lives.

Cough, cough, snivel, snivel, I suggest you call in sick. Summer time, you got to love it.
I might have to take you up on that cough, snivel one day

Old 06-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #27
bigbarrels

glad you came out unscathed......must of been a bit of a pucker factor
Old 06-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #28
Whizz Bang

Thanks Tom. I would have preferred it was a Mola or a Buff, but the lack of Sea Lions was much appreciated. Do not wait to make your bait on the corner, the Macs are the size of bonito out there.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #29
TJones

it would't be the first time ?

heard of them making there appearance . glad i haven't encountered one . but it seems like all the conditions are just about right .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #30
bellcon

Eric,
Glad the shark realized you were the wrong kind of SEAL to mess with!
also good to hear you're still getting out there and having some success on the plastic.

If I have that encounter I will just continue to lie to myself and call it a mola

PS,
Thanks for your continued service, your are a rare breed that we should all be proud to have watching our backs.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #31
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
PS,
Thanks for your continued service, your are a rare breed that we should all be proud to have watching our backs.
What ^^he^^ said.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
CKallday71

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Eric,

PS,
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:

E
Could have been a basking shark... thhey are very curious and often come up and circle boats. Did you see it under the water? Hos fast was it moving?

Oh and speaking of yellows:

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11368

I could use your help!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #34
Whizz Bang

Yep

Dos, He looked like this.

Whatever kind of shark grows longer than my kayak, is grey on the top and is white on the bottom.....thats what kind it was.

As for the YT... I should have been calling you all along considering I have a bad habit of killing fish the day after they pick up my trash and by the time they come back it is not a pretty sight. I have tried discarding the carcasses at my neighborhood am/pm, but I think they are onto me.

Bellcon, its been a while since I've run into you at the launch, hope you are still getting out there yourself.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Last edited by Whizz Bang; 06-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
Deamon

Quote:
the desperate search for the elusive solitary school of YT that is not running scared for their lives.

We all have our reasons for not being able to get out on the water. Success stories and strong efforts like yours help get us by in between our own launches. Thanks for the write up! Great job. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #36
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:

Dos, He looked like this.

Whatever kind of shark grows longer than my kayak, is grey on the top and is white on the bottom.....thats what kind it was.

As for the YT... I should have been calling you all along considering I have a bad habit of killing fish the day after they pick up my trash and by the time they come back it is not a pretty sight. I have tried discarding the carcasses at my neighborhood am/pm, but I think they are onto me.

Bellcon, its been a while since I've run into you at the launch, hope you are still getting out there yourself.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
hahahaha sounds like a Jaguar shark!

I work in La Jolla 1 miles from the launch. You can gladly swing by and I will relieve you of future carcass problems. I'm a busy guy like most of you are and I appreciate the help.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #37
Dail14

There was no lack of sea dogs today in LA Jolla. It was like in the Wizard of Oz when the munchkins came out when the witch was killed. They were on a feeding frenzy.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
taggermike

Wink

Plenty of dogs last Thursday
I surfed for years up in Humboldt Co
And always just asumed there were white
Sharks around. Same in LJ. I find it less
Stressful to believe they are there than
Worrying about them being there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #39
Dannowar

I could be wrong but from what I've gathered, Southern California is merely a stop where juveniles learn to hunt big fish. Elephant seals get it up north but there's not tons of seal carcasses washing up from great whites in la jolla.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #40
MattRabasco

No carcases on the beach may be due to the smaller size of the food down this way. How many bites does it take for a gw to consume an average sealion? Probably not too many parts left laying around and washing up on the beaches.
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote