Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

Cat and Mouse...

I don't think it really matters which team you're on. Just as long as you're part of the machine itself. The truth is very few ever have a choice in how they play the game; if any for that matter. It just happens apparently. You could be the Cat. And chase fish all day long as if it's your job. Who in the hell wants to do that, though (). Or run for your life like a Mouse. With practically every kayak and power-boat of Southern California---not far off your tail.

I mean, come on it's just a game. Or is it? Probably not if you asked the Mouse! I guess in this case we're not talking about Cats or Mice, though. It's Yellowtail and the entire Southern California fleet. I often tell my clients that when you start seeing guys catch these fish---especially guys who typically don't---it's go time! Very much the same with White Sea Bass. Whether that moment has already come or gone remains to be seen. The fact that it's making it to the internet would typically lean toward the latter. Will the fish stick around? Nobody knows; for certain, anyway.

I'll offer some free advice, though: spread out. These fish that came through are moving all over the place. They're far from settled and haven't exactly fallen into any particular pattern. Which makes the daily altercations (between boats yelling at other boats or kayaks and boats) all the more trivial. While I did notice the recent thread regarding the etiquette between kayaks and boats---or lack there of. I never saw a reply offer any sound advice. Yeah, yeah, twice the distance that you can cast an iron. That's a start I suppose. But, what's that for the average angler---sixty feet?

When I say spread out I mean spread, way, the hell out! There's never a reason to be on top of someone's bait. Anywhere in the vicinity for that matter. Or casting an iron on top of that same bait I mention. It's silly. It's almost as if most anglers are on some kind of auto-pilot feature. I'd like to think it's obvious that someone's trolled Mackerel is behind them, but I'm starting to believe that perhaps it's not. I can understand if you see multiple anglers all bendo in one particular spot. That's a given. All bets are off at that point. When fish explode on the surface---irons are a flyin'! Trying to catch a fish from under another anglers vessel, though?

I can guarantee you that there were plenty of anglers out on this day (pictured). The vast majority believed that no fish were being caught. The few power boats that were on the water made it feel more like fifty. One poor sport-boat being swarmed by what looked like, Hornets. And one particular vessel who apparently decided to circle me for hours on end. He did everything possible to run over my fly-line to no avail. I kept winding my bait in as if I was fishing a surface-iron! Sometimes you've just got to laugh. I laughed more than once on this day.

The only down-side of fishing an area without a variety of vessels---intent on playing bumper boats?

The poor guy that circled you for hours on the Parker can't see what you caught---and the silly self portrait, of course.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Go Team MEOW!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Big Wave Dave

Thank you for the reasonable approach to the madness. I think that when someone is on the move, they have a tendency to head towards whatever mark is in the direction they are going. If all you see is water and a boat, you may be influenced to head towards that boat. I guess a compass could fix that, but most people don't have one.
On the other hand, some people just want to jump other people's spots. Not that there are necessarily any fish there, they just don't have a better way to find them. It seems to me that this happens everywhere I've fished, be it East Coast, West Coast, or in between. Some people are a cut throat bunch, others just don't know better. I'd like to believe that ignorance of fishing etiquette is the norm, but I don't think it's the rule.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
THE DARKHORSE

Just trying to help, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave View Post
Thank you for the reasonable approach to the madness.

If you're referring to my advice of spreading out it's not a reasonable approach. What I'm suggesting is a far more effective way of catching the right-kind for kayak anglers. And anglers fishing off a skiff for that matter. Why (try to) fish where a dozen Barneys are roaring their engines back and forth; then back and forth some more? All that does is shut whatever fish that are there, down. Even in a postage stamp location such as La Jolla there's, literally, miles and miles of water to cover. All of which hold fish...

To be clear, obviously, kayak anglers have less of this undesired effect. That's why I'm on one most of the time. If you learn to use the plastic tool (the kayak itself) properly you can hammer the same school over and over again. It's almost as if they don't even know you're there. So if it's not blatantly obvious by this point I'm referring to skiffs, Yachts, sport-boats, motorized crafts, etc. Noisy vessels for the most part. However, a lot of kayakers who don't know-what's-up certainly add to the problem.

It would also be highly excusable if it were just a family in a ski-boat not even fishing. You know coming within sixty feet to see what you're doing out there? It's Summer for crying out loud---and going to happen from time to time. Another thing entirely for the guy with the $5,000 sonar and an equal value of rods and reels on board. Not to mention someone who's out there trying to do the same exact thing! Just doing everything possible to ruin it for everyone in the process.

In summary, I'm not an elitist vegan, pastic only, catch and release snob. I'm fishing off a skiff just as often as anyone of these characters I mention. If not more so. So I know full well how easily it can be done. From simply giving everyone a wide berth---to never, ever, forever ever, never coming up from behind someone when they're trolling a bait. Or, up-current when they're simply drifting. Somehow I still see this from 90% of the vessels on the water. Every single day! To say it gets old would be a huge understatement.

I always try and give someone a hundred yard distance when passing. Especially if for whatever reason they're just sitting there. Lets think about this. They might have a 12" Mackerel on a fly-line for bait---so who knows where in the hell that thing is? I don't want to get that spectra wrapped in my prop; or pedals if I'm on a kayak. Nor would I ever want to keep that angler from catching the fish that's about to inhale his bait. It's just common courtesy----that's grown less and less common. I always try and go well around if at all possible. And when someone does the same it's much appreciated.

This isn't a squid-bite we're talking about, folks; with everyone fishing off a tiny nest. It's miles and miles of moving life. Get out there and find it. I can guarantee it's not always surrounded by a Hornet's nest.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
bigbarrels

nice fish Josh you nailed it on the head....Comes down to common courtesy and lack there of......I could of counted the number of nose hairs on the entire crew as the private boat drove past me to try to get in some action but then I hooked up and stopped counting
Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
RobFish
Massive Member

In the world of cat and mouse...the owl has spoken.
As always, another great post.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
scotty1369

Im glad I took the time to read this. Im still new and unexperienced, and I typically tend to move toward the crowd. I have had the thought, "why am I going to drop where everyone else is". Guys yelling at each other, boats ripping flylines... it all can be avoided by spreading out. Im going to make an effort to spread out from now on, and see how it works out. Thanks for the post!
scotty1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
grey zone

Most fisherman fish for other fisherman!
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
JarrodMc

Nice post Josh and even nicer fish!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Sully1

Looks like other top predators Can relate. . .

PS. . . Nice fish Josh!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #11
MattRabasco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBcIWhEUbPY
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Good catch there sir!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
another beautiful darkhorse YT!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
blitzburgh

Great post Josh!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
THE DARKHORSE

Right back at 'ya, Mate!

Since Sully is putting up photos of apex predators and schools of fish, I'll put up one of my own. After puling on fish that day until I couldn't anymore, I decided to change it up. The bumper boats, while fun to watch, had me thinking about going for a swim. So that's what I did. I left the chaos and found the paradigm shift I was after.

Spearfishing, like hook and line angling, isn't all about just killing fish. It's been a real game-changer for me this season. If anything, just to wipe away the stresses of daily life. It's an amazing outlet and offers a refreshing perspective.

Here's the school of fish I shot---with the camera.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Sully1

How about that water visibility?!? . . . Not sure if I want to know what bent your slip tip.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
gattonlaw
Junior

Why do I always see replies to this "Dark Horse" writer that are so obsequious? He is apparently a good fisherman but not nearly as profound as the replies unilaterally state. I enjoy kayak fishing tremendously--but do not respect syncophants.
gattonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That's because respect is earned! Understanding on the other hand?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattonlaw View Post
Why do I always see replies to this "Dark Horse" writer that are so obsequious? He is apparently a good fisherman but not nearly as profound as the replies unilaterally state. I enjoy kayak fishing tremendously--but do not respect syncophants.
Obsequious
cool word, I had to use Google.
Syncophants
again cool word and I had to use Google.
I know Sycophant, Buttchaser used it in an MLPA meeting years ago and unfairly got kicked off the podium.

Great post Josh
signed your
Obsequious Syncophant

Last edited by bellcon; 06-12-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Because I was being a butt head in my response
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #20
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

lol! x2

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote