Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Kau grown

Hawaii angler New to the forum

Aloha everyone, I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself, I'm a Big Island, Hawaii born and raised local boy. I am 35 and started fishing from when I was a little boy. I have been kayak fishing heavily for a few years now and have a passion for this sport. I fish from an Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game and love it. I have been really sucesful kayak fishing here in Hawaii and have caught everything from wahoo, mahi mahi, huge tuna and jacks to sailfish and wanted to share some of my catches, story's and pictures if it's okay. I figure I might be able to learn or help others here. I am already well known in another popular kayak fishing forum named "Aquahunters" and wanted to see and learn about fishing in other parts of the world.

Here's a vid of some of the fish I catch here in Hawaii, these were caught from January to July 2012.

http://youtu.be/5Qdr39U-2BA

Here's a vid of a 71lb and 112lb yellow fin tuna's caught in the same day from my kayak.

http://youtu.be/rioJPgm1wRw
Kau grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
surf-bum

Aloha my braddah. Welcome to the forum. Im from Hawaii too and have been fishing here for a little over a year. Some cool things to pick up from this forum that guys dont really do in Hawaii. One thing is that bait is pretty easy to pick up here, but getting the fish to bite can be something else. At home, its hard to get those opelu, but once you get one, its like candy.

I stay on the AH forum too. My brother is Little-bum. Been fishing and cruising up here with Steve. You had some insane catches this year. Saw that you had surgery or something. Hope youre recovering well.
surf-bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Great stuff there!!!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Kau grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf-bum View Post
Aloha my braddah. Welcome to the forum. Im from Hawaii too and have been fishing here for a little over a year. Some cool things to pick up from this forum that guys dont really do in Hawaii. One thing is that bait is pretty easy to pick up here, but getting the fish to bite can be something else. At home, its hard to get those opelu, but once you get one, its like candy.

I stay on the AH forum too. My brother is Little-bum. Been fishing and cruising up here with Steve. You had some insane catches this year. Saw that you had surgery or something. Hope youre recovering well.
Aloha bro!!! So glad to see a Bradah from Hawaii here on this forum!!!! It's been over three months since I went out and I'm jonesing so bad to hit the ocean again! Surgery went really well but the recovery seems like an eternity! Lol I should be back to normal in a couple months tho. Can't wait!!! I got to rerig my yak, do maintenance on rudder cables and wiring and buillt a custom bait tank while I'm recovering, so being down isn't so bad! Lol

This looks like a really solid forum with a lot of info on the types of fish and fishing up there! How is the fishing up there? What species do you target or is a prize catch? I hope I get a chance to come up and do a lil fishing up in your area in the near future!

Aloha brother, and as always tight lines and safe fishing!
KG
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Mr hooks

Talking

Nice hook ups
Mr hooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
paddle man

NICE JOB BRO I HAVE THE SAME YAK AND COLOR
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Oxbeast1210

Awesome !
What program do you edit your videos with?
also what kind of gaff is that in your first video.
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Welcome to the site. Very impressive videos man.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
DanaPT

good stuff!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Redeyejedi

welcome to the site, some sick vids there. supa nice action.
cheers to you and a speedy recovery.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Kau grown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
Awesome !
What program do you edit your videos with?
also what kind of gaff is that in your first video.
Aloha oxbeast, the first video was my first edited video using Sony movie platinum 12, all the rest of my vids I just used windows live movie maker. I'm still learning the new Sony movie 12 and that vid was just a scratch of what Sony movie 12 can do. The editing tools and effects is endless in Sony movie 12.

The two gaffs I use I had custom built it to fit my needs. I needed gaffs that would float, be very strong and have the length I wanted. The first spear looking gaff We call it a "kage" here in Hawaii, it's usually made out of a wooden dowl or shovel handle and 3/8"-1/2" threaded stainless steel allthread rod. It's mainly used for the kill shot into the brain of larger pelagics and then backed up with a regular stlye gaff to secure them. Most of The larger fish comes up looking like they are gassed out and have given up but as soon as you stick a normal gaff in them it wakes them up and they go nutz! Big pelagics going nutz next to your yak can be very dangerous and cause a flip if your not carefull. I normally try to kill or subdue a larger fish in the water before bringing it up on my lap. A tuna 30lbs and bigger on your lap alive will cause serious damage to your equipment, or yourself. Especially Wahoo's or we call them ono's that have razor sharp teeth and could slice your feet or other body parts in a second if they are trashing between your legs. I would hate to be a couple miles or more out on the ocean with a serious wound or injury caused by a fish that could have been prevented. This is just my opinion and my style of fishing tho, I'm not saying that everyone should make or have one, but If anyone needs help building one I would be happy to help out. Tight lines and safe fishing!
KG
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Kau grown

Mahalo everyone for the very warm welcome!!! This forum is awseome! Tons of valuable information and very friendly people!! I really want to broden my scope on fish and fishing in other parts of the world besides Hawaii and this forum is truely a big help!!! If anyone wants to learn about fish and fishing here in Hawaii I would be more than happy to help! We have a kayak fishing forum here in our state called "Aquahunters" and it has so much info on fish and fishing here also. I also have tons of kayak fishing vids of myself hooking and landing pelagic fish in Hawaii but just wanted to share my last two vids here in my intoduction. Again, big mahalo for this great site and welcome!

Aloha, KG
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
DanaPT

if you ever want to not catch fish in dana point. . . let me know.

I'll pm you next time i'm on the Big Island.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
RobFish
Massive Member

Aloha and Welcome!!!

Welcome KG,
First off, great vids. Super fun to watch and very inspiring.
Secondly, I really like your kage method. Not sure if you'd need one here for a 27 lb. yellowtail, but flip those numbers around, change the 'tail to 'fin, and I more than understand the need to expire the fish before bringing it on board.
Again, great stuff.
RobFish
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Welcome to BWE, your lucky to live in hawaii those yellowfin are crazy! Becareful though i heard you guys had an earthquake and have a tsunami warning dont be out fishing soon. This forum is great and can show new techniques that are not used there. Good luck and tight lines.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
Drake

I'm moving to Hawaii. It's settled, thanks for that extra little push I needed.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
DanaPT

If you can pull-off your move from CA to HI over this video. . . :notwo rthy:: notworthy::notwor thy:
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
StinkyMatt

Wow, very impressive catches. Welcome.

Fishing here is gonna feel like making bait to you, especially after those tuna.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
Kau grown

Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
Oxbeast1210

Koa thanks for the Response i like the idea of that kill gaff I need to get me one.

WIll you be fishing in Cali or just visiting the forum?
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote