Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Yakin

Islander 2.5 day trip report!!!

Ok where to start?!
Well the ride out there was very rough but once we can to the island the water was so smooth not one wave no nothing!!
DAY ONE:
Had amazing breakfast! World class cook!!
Got the kayaks into the water at about 6:30 i think?
The fishing was so slow the first day!! The calicos were good in the morning one hali was caught then went into the mother ship for a great hamburger!!!
Got back out on the water and then what happen? THE BAIT TANK DIE!!!Means bailing fresh water into the tank!
Another hali was caught then I headed back into the mother ship for fresh bait then just stayed on board. They took the boat out for some rock fish and I got a huge rock fish once I brought it up from 300 feet of water and there was a tiny and I mean TINY rock fish on the same hook as my #15 rockfish,that was a tip.
got back in the kayak for hali again no luck then BAMMMMM got slammed by something big and got dragged a mile further away from the boat then I already was then it snapped off. Then the call for dinner so called it a day!
DAY 2!!!!!!
Even better weather which I couldnt believe that could happen. So they got my yak into the water and I headed strait out for hali!
No luck that was an even slower day.
So went out for rock fish after lunch and no bait tank battery went so I need a new battery! And take my yak into oex for pro job set up!
Not much luck on the rock fish. Then we got the go ahead for piramide cove. Then all of a sudden the helicopters come over head and thought the captain was going to get into trouble due to the cove still being closed!!!
No bass only one hit and then got chased by 3 seals!! So I called it a day went to the boat.
Started to fish from the boat and start to kill the white fish and sheeps head!! Then all of a sudden the skiff comea in with 2 #30 hali so jelous!!!
Then most yaks startwd to come back in and then 2 more nice hali while 3 of use are killing the sheeps head!!
Ate another amazing dinner then called it a night!!

I loved the crew on the islander! Very nice eager to help and always on top of things, remembering what you like, and even your name.
Even though not many fish, the sights the crew and the people on the boat ever amazing!!!!
I will be back next year for sure!!!!!!
If you never been on the islander its time to kiss your wifes ass and go!
Sorry on the bad grammer and the way it is it was all done on the cell. Will fix it up tomorrow when I get to work!!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post
Ok where to start?!
Well the ride out there was very rough but once we can to the island the water was so smooth not one wave no nothing!!
DAY ONE:
Had amazing breakfast! World class cook!!
Got the kayaks into the water at about 6:30 i think?
The fishing was so slow the first day!! The calicos were good in the morning one hali was caught then went into the mother ship for a great hamburger!!!
Got back out on the water and then what happen? THE BAIT TANK DIE!!!Means bailing fresh water into the tank!
Another hali was caught then I headed back into the mother ship for fresh bait then just stayed on board. They took the boat out for some rock fish and I got a huge rock fish once I brought it up from 300 feet of water and there was a tiny and I mean TINY rock fish on the same hook as my #15 rockfish,that was a tip.
got back in the kayak for hali again no luck then BAMMMMM got slammed by something big and got dragged a mile further away from the boat then I already was then it snapped off. Then the call for dinner so called it a day!
DAY 2!!!!!!
Even better weather which I couldnt believe that could happen. So they got my yak into the water and I headed strait out for hali!
No luck that was an even slower day.
So went out for rock fish after lunch and no bait tank battery went so I need a new battery! And take my yak into oex for pro job set up!
Not much luck on the rock fish. Then we got the go ahead for piramide cove. Then all of a sudden the helicopters come over head and thought the captain was going to get into trouble due to the cove still being closed!!!
No bass only one hit and then got chased by 3 seals!! So I called it a day went to the boat.
Started to fish from the boat and start to kill the white fish and sheeps head!! Then all of a sudden the skiff comea in with 2 #30 hali so jelous!!!
Then most yaks startwd to come back in and then 2 more nice hali while 3 of use are killing the sheeps head!!
Ate another amazing dinner then called it a night!!

I loved the crew on the islander! Very nice eager to help and always on top of things, remembering what you like, and even your name.
Even though not many fish, the sights the crew and the people on the boat ever amazing!!!!
I will be back next year for sure!!!!!!
If you never been on the islander its time to kiss your wifes ass and go!
Sorry on the bad grammer and the way it is it was all done on the cell. Will fix it up tomorrow when I get to work!!
dam yak sounds like fun even though you didnt get what u came for. I ouldnt mind some sheepshead i heard there one of the best tasting fish great report
Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
BlueDeep
Catch & Release

I am totally going next year. Great report
BlueDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Deefeesha

Additional highlights:

-Fishing was very slow for everyone, even on some of the other party boats.

-Divers on our trip reported: gazillion bugs underneathe--teasing, huge abalone--so tempting, and also they ran into a school of that was very skiddish. Had one opportunity to spear one, and of course, missed.

-Boat Captain found abandoned pots with over ten of these guys inside . Watching them go overboard right around dinner time was heartbreaking.

-Fellow yakers on board were extremely friendly. And an honor to meet some of the nicest board members from here.

-Boat and crew was beyond top notch. Clean boat; galley, stater-rooms, ammenities, etc.

-Leopard sharks took numerous of yakers on a sled-ride, lost many tackle to them. A 5-6ft. soupfin decided to terrorize some yakers as well.

Bonuses:

-Navy performing bombing missions on the opposing side. My gawd, was it it loud. Felt like we were yakin in a middle of a war zone.

-Warships in the far distance. Military helicopters and jets flying overhead.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDeep View Post
I am totally going next year. Great report
good choice....
Old 06-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
JoeBeck

Great trip! Very relaxing out there and I found a lot of solitude. Didn't hook into any halibut, got my rigs jacked by a few leopard sharks but all was fun. Also the calico bass fishing was as always out on the island..... Awesome!!

Good bite Friday morning and wide open for me on Saturday morning.

This guy was a 20 inch toad

Loved this

and all and all my family still had a great meal tonight

and there were some good halibuts caught just not by me

Great meeting new people and seeing others I have not fished with for quite a while.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

great post...thanks for sharin'...I, for one, know for a fact I will be there next year, maybe the 2.5 day trip this time congrats on a great trip...
Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Other than Calicos, it was pretty tough fishing both days given the only 2 parcels of coast the Navy allowed us to fish. Luckily, shortly after lunch on day 2 they ceased operations on the south end of the Island and let us boat, paddle and peddle into Pyramid Cove. In just a few hours we doubled our Halibut count for the 2 days when we boated 3 more over 20#s, and quite a few sheepshead. Acres and acres of bait schools, with nobody but Sealions feasting on them. The place is ripe to explode.

GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
mtnbykr2

was that fun or what?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
theluckypig

greg, double fisted... again... all!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Deefeesha

Joe,

I learned the new regulation says you can't fillet sheepshead ... but you didn't have to cook it whole ... I kidd buddy. That was fun ending the night like that.

Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakin View Post

That was one of the things that caught my attention last year, I told them my name once and I never had to repeat. Can't wait for the June 21st trip. The smack talk has already started with my boys..........it's going to be one hell of a trip!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Lit-up1

Islander

Thanks for the reports and photos guys! Thanks to OEX for sponsoring
As usual the Islander crew all top notch for these complex but fun trips and I am already looking forward to the next one-
I would like to see more gray light fishing or night fishing allowed for
but other than Navy closures they got us on all the different spots they could.
Fishing was slow, but food and company were great-
No flatties for me but pretty good bass fishing.
That's my opinion and there isn't much I would change, but if anyone has ideas to share on how to make them better, let me know.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
NextBite

Thanks for the Reports Guys

Great Twin's Greg
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote