Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
deepdvr

News flash - no more dogs in LJ

For real.......

However there was also a big great white just sighted at the 3/4 spot in about 115'. Estimated at 15' +.

I take that as a positive. Spooling up the floro as we speak.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Enceladus

I was out yesterday morning and only saw one.
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
Dannowar

That's because I was out all night...making them leave....
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Dannowar

Also, if this isn't true it's VERY bad juju to cry shark...tis very bad
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Hondatom

That kinda puckers me up a bit.
Hondatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You can run, but where you gonna hide?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
MrPatrick

Bellcon, that is one serious B.U.F.F.
BUFF was a term used in Vietnam for the B-52 bomber.
Big
Ugly
Fat
Fu*k

In this case a
Big
Ugly
Fat
Fish
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
TJones

it would't be the first time ?

heard of them making there appearance . glad i haven't encountered one . but it seems like all the conditions are just about right .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
bellcon

Eric,
Glad the shark realized you were the wrong kind of SEAL to mess with!
also good to hear you're still getting out there and having some success on the plastic.

If I have that encounter I will just continue to lie to myself and call it a mola

PS,
Thanks for your continued service, your are a rare breed that we should all be proud to have watching our backs.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
PS,
Thanks for your continued service, your are a rare breed that we should all be proud to have watching our backs.
What ^^he^^ said.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
CKallday71

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Eric,

PS,
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
taggermike

Wink

Plenty of dogs last Thursday
I surfed for years up in Humboldt Co
And always just asumed there were white
Sharks around. Same in LJ. I find it less
Stressful to believe they are there than
Worrying about them being there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Dannowar

I could be wrong but from what I've gathered, Southern California is merely a stop where juveniles learn to hunt big fish. Elephant seals get it up north but there's not tons of seal carcasses washing up from great whites in la jolla.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
MattRabasco

No carcases on the beach may be due to the smaller size of the food down this way. How many bites does it take for a gw to consume an average sealion? Probably not too many parts left laying around and washing up on the beaches.
MattRabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Whizz Bang

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I could be wrong but from what I've gathered, Southern California is merely a stop where juveniles learn to hunt big fish. Elephant seals get it up north but there's not tons of seal carcasses washing up from great whites in la jolla.
Not could be wrong, you are wrong. Continue to gather Danno, or just read the article without the filter of bias... http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/jul/26...rks-san-diego/

Do we have a resident population, nope. Do large animals come through here, yep.

I have been in this game for a while now and have been around when the beaches were closed due to a large animal sighting. Is it rare? Yes. Are attacks anywhere near approximating common or likely? Hell no. They are as rare as Unicorns around here.

I shared this experience with a few close friends, one of them chose fit to post it for reasons I absolutely agreed with. When he did so, it became incumbent on me to elaborate. At that point, I decided that if you, gentle reader, were undeterred then you deserved to know about the Tail portion of the story. Anyone who is interested in creating their own personal chum slick at the side of a plastic boat with an apex predator sighted in the area that was longer than what they were paddling...well, that is my kind of guy (or girl, Sharon, I think I saw you pedaling near the preserve line that day, hope you had limits of lizardfish or whatever you were hunting).

A while back I quit posting on this site, but I did not stop fishing. I quit when I found myself going more negative than positive. I did not see the benefit in posting late, it was all about self-aggrandizing and had nothing to do with timely intel. I don't need to do that for my ego, and you don't need to read that.

Do I care about scaring you off the water? No. Does DeepDvr? No again. A long time ago we chose sides in the whole post or wait debate and I am pretty sure we are both comfortable with our decision. This experience transcends that. It was worth sharing and it was timely (considering I was still on the water when it hit BWE). My advice, take it for what it was, a reminder that there is far more going on below you when you are out there than your fish finder will ever let on.

Tight lines.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Zed
BANNED

Caveat Emptor

This is really turning into the Amnity Island, Jaws syndrome. Those yahoos from TX that caught the huge mako really perpetuated it. The interview I saw was really ridiculous. They made it seem like they were doing a service by killing that shark. "It was a killer, it came up to the boat and tried to chomp/bite/eat everything."

No shit. It was a large, old, wise, pregnant female doing whatever it took to get away. That's millions of years of nature.

You all bought the kayak knowing that when you passed the threshold of MHT (mean high tide) you enter the wilderness, complete with dolphins, seals, sea lions, whales, and even sharks, right? They are not serial killers on the loose where you need to keep the children locked up until they are caught. I appreciate the news of a sighting like I appreciate a bear or mountain lion sighting (I happened to see my first MT Lion and white shark in the same year, '08). It doesn't keep me from riding/hiking where it was sighted, because I know I have been seen already in all the times I have been in the woods or out on the ocean.

Buyer beware.

Z
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #17
Whizz Bang

Yep

Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
lamb

Whizz with the Bang!

I am glad all was good,
that it didn't mistake you for something edible.
It must have been intense.

tails part sounded intense too, coll you got on some.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
Yes this happened. I did a great write-up and when I tried to post, it erased the entire thing, so here is the short version.

Yes it was a GWS. Probably 15ft. It circled me twice before sinking out heading towards me. No I did not literally shit my pants. Figuratively, yes I did. Yes I watched my meter and the water with unwavering attention. Yes I called the Lifeguard dispatch.

The surf is jacking up tomorrow. If the idea of a yard sale landing, and a potential maiming on the water do not deter you, then you deserve to know that yes I got into the YT, I landed one of three hooked, and a few more missed on boils on the Iron. If that ratio of hooked to landed sounds like I was over kelp, then you, kind sir, are very astute.

Side note... I always get a kick out of reading about how so and so couldn't find them when they are thick as thieves out there, and have been for a while now. I have killed five fish in the last 4 trips, these trips were spread out over the last month and a half. Post counts do not always translate into fishing prowess, this is a sad fact for many, but true. The truth is that all to often, the inverse is more applicable. We find ourselves talking about fishing when we cannot get on the water.

If you are waiting for the weekend, for the sun and easy launch, then you, are a fool. You may get lucky and wander into a patch that haven't been driven over a dozen times already by twin 4-stroke Yamahas, and still feel like chewing, but I wouldn't count on it. This is summer time fishing, find days that do not start with Sat or Sun, start early, pack a lunch, and cover a LOT of ground.

E
We don't fish on weekends because we're fools, we fish on weekends because we have other obligations like family and work. I'm not sure exactly where you live, nor do I care(no offense) but living minutes or miles from a launch, any launch, is a huge advantage for anyone that fishes. The last time that I fished on a weekday was last week in baja, the only reason I was able to do was because I took a vacation day, other than that I wouldn't have been able to do it. Anyway, enough about that.

I'm glad everything worked out for you, its always a little more comforting when you hear the story from the source rather than some local news anchor.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
Dannowar

The surf is supposed to jack up?

I'm gonna yard sale if I fish?