Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
madscientist

LJ 7/29 AM

Took a friend out for her maiden kayak adventure. Launched around 5:30 into minimal surf but a steady drizzle and onshore breeze. Got up to the pier to find the bait very thin. Unfortunately, the slight chop sent Crystal's stomach through a loop and she spent the next 15 minutes trying to turn herself inside out. Figured it best to paddle in at that point, not all that bummed since the bait situation was looking bad anyway. Got in the reserve and heard the "Baaaaahhhhhh". Damn. Then double em hooked up. Then Sterling. Then Patrick. Then double em again. Sounded like a trained monkey could have caught tail out there.:lol:

Get Crys back on the beach and she implores me to go back out. Don't have to tell me twice, so I leave her a sandwich, a drink, a dry shirt, and a radio and charge back out. Made a few baits and started trolling. Not even to the hotel the flyline sings. Fish rips a good amount of line then tries to play dead on the bottom. Steady fun fight brought this bad boy to gaff.

Cruised over to donate a bait to Razor; he got bent shortly thereafter.
Not what he was looking for, though some out there would have been thrilled.

Headed in when Crystal came back on the radio saying she was heading out to give it another go. Gotta like this girl's spunk.

Got some donated baits (Thanks Matt) and met her at the buoy. Headed over the spot where I got bit but as soon as we started drifting she began to resemble kermit the frog. Decided to cut the losses and call it a day. Handed off the bait on the way in and landed to a zoo at the beach. Not sure if the new round-a-bout system is really helping anything down there, but at least the lifeguard has been nice to me lately. Shame I couldn't get Crystal on a YT but she certainly did her best to overcome what looks like a brutal case of seasickness.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
DESTROYER

Nice report...I'll me hitting it on Monday and most likely an eveing Session on Tuesday...It's that time of year

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I guess I am just an untrained monkey as I could not catch a yt this time. I had a hard time pulling the plug on the day as I really wanted a fish today. Ended up bouncing the bottom just outside the buoys for a while then came in. Saw a 45" halibut on a friends boat.

The weather sucked, bait was tough to find at the pier and buoys.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
ski

What a trooper that Crystal is! Got to give her respect, for giving it a second try
All I got was a pig calico on a spanish (released). Seems like I might have gone out too far, and overshot the fish.
Hope to get out there again next weekend.
Mark
ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Razorback

Re: LJ 7/29 AM

[quote="madscientist"] Sounded like a trained monkey could have caught tail out there.:lol:

Don't feel bad Tyler - that's a HAWG Checkerboard on the end of my line. Guess I should've been in the bass tourney - but I'd rather keep up with the monkey training.

I wasn't even supposed to be on the water today - but rose early and thought I'd get back before mi esposa awakens.... :lol:

Darn thing about fishing with Brad is its like pulling slots in Vegas - hard to know when to say when..... The guy sits right next to me and gets the yeller zing (not the 1st time either).. I get the Grumpy Calico. I gotta get this guy on a plane and off to the MGM, have him sit next to me at the Blackjack table and press the luck at the tables. :P

Great day on the H2O - I enjoyed the light rain - but the bait extinction was killin' me.

Razor Out

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Dan

nice one Brad. Congrats on getting one with all the extra paddlin.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #7
Will B.

All the bass tournament participants out there today heard a lot of off color remarks about bass from certain people and their ears were burning
:lol:
Will B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I got to the launch around 4 this morning and pulled the yak next to some dudes... I re-checked my stuff for a minute and proceeded to make my way out.... then this guy yells to me "IT'S CLOSED"... I yell back "WHAT" and they go silent.. Stupid tourist must have though "hmmm, nobody fishes LJ unless their in a tourny"...anyway, make my way out to the really, really submerged kelp to make bait and then make my way out to area where a bunch of PB were.... I wasn't planning on fishing right next to em, but there was so much hooting and hollering that I had to see what was going on... as soon as I get out there it was a non-stop bite... I didn't have as many macs as I would of like to but I didn't want to waste good fishing for a couple more macs...after some a seized bearing in my sideplate, chaos on a double hookup, bent rod action while trying to recover from the chaos and 000 bait left, I called it a day early... Had to see a matinee (sp?) broadway musical with the wife :roll: .... Hey, in order for me to fish everyweekend, I have to make the sacrafice in order to gain points... small price in my opinion ....
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will B.
All the bass tournament participants out there today heard a lot of off color remarks about bass from certain people and their ears were burning
:lol:

Hey Will -

Sorry you weren't feelin' the Love. Just to make it up - how about OEX jumps in on the next trail??? :P

Peace and Out

Razor

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote