Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

10-21-06 back in black... w/video

It is nice to get up later, well 5:30AM to get to the launch at dark these days... There was a little bit of fog, saw some of the regulars onshore getting ready, many expressed interest in going north for flatty's, Iceman was out for a quick trip to the 3/4 for tails...

I decided to go north and do some lazy fishin... Halibut! Made perfect greenies at the pier. Decided to start a drift... got bit... FISH ON!!! Turned out to be a leopard shark, which proceeded to tangle all three of my lines! :x released unharmed. Ran into Kurt, we both worked the same area... I got a few more bites, but nothing stuck.

Finally, line started to peel off my reel... FISH ON!! I was getting towed out to sea...

Ended up being a black sea bass about 60 lbs... just a baby. About a 40 minute fight, condensed in this video. Fish released, and swam down with some help from a couple other kayak anglers... It revived faster than I thought, didn't even have a chance to get a good pic, or video of it swimming off. Thanks to the guys who helped me release this beast to freedom, sorry didn't catch your name, but you guys said you posted on BWE.

Video of BSB C&R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8-uwBuse8s

Sun decided to finally come out, Kurt and I paddle in to nice conditions, and reflected how lucky we are to live in San Diego.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #2
Fishin Phil

The Other Guys

Hans and Phil were the other guys. I too was hooked up when you were 15 minutes into your fight. After I was riding along I noticed my other line had been wrapped around four times. I decided to let the bendo go slack and unwrap it as fast as I could. I figured if I didn't try to unwrap it, it would cause more problems on the run. I got it untangled quickly and started to tighten the line. He was gone by that time. I believe he was a
BSB, he just took off and there was no stopping him. By the time I was untangled I was 30 yards South. I tried to click on your video and got page cannot be displayed. Your BSB was an awesome fish! I have never seen one up close on the ocean. I am glad I was there to help him get going with my paddle. Definitely another good memory at La Jolla. 8)
Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I remember someone else was on a fish, too bad it came unbuttoned! :x The video just worked for me... Last night I was having troubles with it playing on youtube.com. I just had to refresh my web browser... That was an incredible fight. I was pretty sure it was a BSB, and really had everything buttoned down, there is no way I would have had my drag that tight or thumbed the spool on a YT, or WSB.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
steveooo

Cool video Chris. Looks like you had a freight train an the end of your line. One of my favorite sounds of all time is to hear line being stripped off like that...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
scwafish

I can't get the video to load right?
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
scwafish

Never mind, finally got ot to go...nice!
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote