Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Scripps Pier Osprey

Has anyone else seen the Osprey around the pier. I have seen them often around the Mission Bay bridges. This guy was diving a bit on the bubbling macs, but I never got to see it grab one. Seems all the ones I see look pretty scruffy compared to other pics I've seen.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
Brett D.

I love that 2nd shot. I have been trying to get one like that up at Poway for a couple of years now. The timing just never quite comes together.
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Brett, ya I was hoping to get a pic like that with a greenback in it's talons. I just found that pic on the internet, looks kind of like a ?mullet?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Looks a little ruffled for sure

Last spring at Lake Jennings I saw an osprey catch a trout, then she got acosted by a golden eagle which chased her down and stole the trout mid-air! :shock: fyi Also the Ospreys at Jennings swoop on the trout swimbaits full speed in winter, if you are looking for more action photo ops. That's Jan-Feb when the trout fishing is excellent on 2 lb line and small kastmasters.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Zed
BANNED

$0.02
I'm betting he's young and scruffy and finding a new territory.
Nice pic. They're always good company.

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Nice picture. I'll be looking for the Osprey at the pier this weekend. I haven't seen one at the pier yet, but I haven't really been looking until now.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Brett D.

I'll have to try that. Trolling a floating trout swimbait with my camera at the ready.
Iceman, Looks like a mullet minus the stripes? At least I remember them having stripes. I like how the cormarant (sp?)can only watch from teh side as a nice fish dinner flys away.
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
sterling

Osprey have their talons arranged in such a way that they can carry prey in line with their body like a bomb. This makes them more aerodynamic. I was up in Oregon about 3 years ago and watched them carry small trout away all day. Very Cool!!!
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 PM   #9
screaming reel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to screaming reel
We were hanging out at Blacks this summer and watched one fly by the surf zone and dive on a fish. It missed it and circled around and tried again, they come in talons first, they are awesome to watch. I am wondering where they nest?
screaming reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
kurt

There's usually one osprey that hangs out on the Sea World Drive Bridge over the San Diego River. I call him (or her) Obi. I've sometimes seen two or three around the river, but never seen a nest.
This pair was nesting at the old Goodrich plant down in Chula Vista. I was doing some work down there last spring.

I climbed up on the top of my truck to get a better angle for pictures and one of them swooped down at me. Pretty impressive. After a couple days down there, I started hearing the babies chirping. They seemed to catch a lot of skinny fish, either small 'cudas or some sort of needlefish.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote