Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Brett D.

LJ 7-25

Hit the water at 5am this morning. Bat was very scarce at the reserve buoy. I only caught a rockfish and 2 small calicos there while trying to make bait. I left there without any bait and trolled a yozuri around for about 40 minutes then I tried to make bait again on the inside in about 30-40 feet of water. Bingo. 2 drops netted me five pieces and then a guy named Dave in a orange prowler 13 came by and handed me 3 greenbacks and told me the mackeral went crazy right after I left the yellow can. :roll:
So I pinned one of the macs on and I only had to paddle for 5 minutes before I was hooked up on the first tail of the day. It was just a little 10 pounder. Another 30 minutes of trolling netted me two more tail and and 2 lost fish and my bait was gone that quickly. Tried to make some more bait on the inside again but couldn't locate any. So I went back to trolling the yozuri again and picked up my fourth tail of the day about 200 yards outside the reserve. The last 3 were released unharmed and I only kept the first one of the day.

I also caught 6 calicos in about 20 feet of water today. the largest went 4lbs.Back at the landing there were yellowtail everywhere of all sizes. I saw 4 other yakkers with multiple tails and 2 boats that had tails. One little aluminum skiff had a 30# tail and another guy in a 9.6 basstender had 5 tails the biggest was probably 25#.
Dave the guy that gave me the bait had 2 nice ones as well.

I wish I could go back out again tomorrow but I promised someone I would take them fishing in the bay tomorrow.
If you are heading out in the morning get there early and make the paddle to pier for the macs.
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Nice Brett, I WISH I was going out manana :cry:
Old 07-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
hooked
on phonics

Brett,

It was good to talk to you on the beach today, hope you kill the spotties tomorrow.

Heres my day today

The yellow are definatly on the chew, and word is out judging by the number of PB out there this morning. I had the best morning of my summer today, bringing home a ~16 lb and a ~9 lb YT. Spent all morning and all my bait from the pier farming numerous other fish, and having fun with the bonies. I hope the bite holds out through tommorrow. Hamachi tonight!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Brett D.

This was my first time going out midweek. Man you guys don't realize how nice you have it compared to us weekend warriors.
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett D.
This was my first time going out midweek. Man you guys don't realize how nice you have it compared to us weekend warriors.
WHAT!!! People fish on the weekend???
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote