Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
kurtman
Junior

Twice In a Lifetime

AKA Kurtfish. Now, that the 2011 Season is officially behind us I thought a bit of recollection was in order. 2009 ended with our gallant effort at the LAX MLPA meeting where my son delivered his speech on fishing with his Dad and picking up plastic from our kayak in front of 400 fisher folks. Lucas was smooth and cool even after his Day almost got hit in the face by the tall bald tree hugger that took and errant swing at a fisherman that suggested he take his seat. After such a remarkable couple of years of inshore fishing with countless personal best fish landed the arguments of over fishing and depleted stocks really carry no weight for our bountiful local conditions.

Name:  Yellowtailson 0041.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  101.5 KBName:  supportsavecafishing.png
Views: 1839
Size:  22.6 KB

2010 began with a long stretch of calm weather and flat seas. I put together a string of 3 Thursday afternoon trips with White Seabass of 49, 52, and 63 pounds. An epic month of fishing that culminated in a once in lifetime solo fish that I will never forget. The photo is of course a signature Darkhorse poise as Josh was heading out with a client as I was heading in that day. I do have to credit Josh for some great training and patient teaching of his kelp window techniques.fficeffice" />>> Please see http://www.hswri.org/News_and_Events.php for details on the Bill Poole Memorial Angling Tournament set for July 28th & 29th with all proceeds benefiting Hubbs White Seasbass Replenishment program. Great BBQ and silent auction for all ages and tours of the Hubbs Yellowtail tanks with fish that make my trophy look average size.
>>
>Name:  Kurts WSB COW 32010.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  68.4 KB>
>>
>2010 continued on the mild side with calm seas and light afternoon wilds that lead to great afternoon sessions on surface feeding Yellowtail. Twice I was lucky enough to be in right place at the right time and got nailed seconds after a long cast to school on the surface. The second time after chasing a school for over an hour until I got within striking distance. The surface iron is the supreme way to hook a Yellowtail but with the long rod and tight drag the fight is just not the same as a baitfish Yellow.>>
>>
2011 started with a flurry and continued with the squid spawn of the Century fueling continued bites in up and down the coast as well as La Jolla and even Crystal Pier. I did not fish nearly as much in 2011 as 45 or so times I did in 2010 but I did manage a few WSB including one with my son in my lap. This is a memory either one of us will ever forget.>>

Name:  LucasK WSB611.JPG
Views: 1998
Size:  137.6 KB

2011 continued into November and even December with calm seas and squid still showing in the canyon. I marked my calendar for the full lunar eclipse and decided to launch at 4am with the moon shining so bright I did not need my headlight to load my PA. Jeremiah happened to show-up as I was finishing loading-up. I believe Jeremiah beat me through the surf as he comes packed and ready to hit the surf. We tried to share my Hydro Glow light but nothing but tiny shrimp came to the green light. >>
>>
Jeremiah headed toward the kelp in search of nesting squid and I stayed out in deeper water where I had found the squirts a few weeks before. I only managed to land a dozen squid and as the moon was getting covered I sent down my dropper loop and a pinned iron rig that proved deadly in October. No hits on the iron and candy combo while the Calis and rockfish nipped at my dropper loop and stole my candy bars. After the sun completely covered the moon and the wind picked up as the sun heated the land the air trailed down the slope to the sea I decided to head toward the kelp line to see if the WSB may have gone in tight for the day. The smaller bass continued to pick at my squid until I was out of bait and ready to call it a day. I grabbed my stand-up paddle and stowed my revo drive. >>
>>
As I headed toward the launch I saw Jeremiah fighting a nice fish as I SUPped up to him he told me he still saw the fish on his screen below his boat. I told him I was out of bait and as his fish took him circles he reached back and grabbed a few squirts out of his tank and tossed them in my yak. I thanked him and wished him luck with his fish and headed toward the direction he had been towed from. I dropped down one of my new deck mates and soon hooked my own fish of a lifetime. The fight that ensued was intense but more from an obstacle standpoint than length of sizzling runs or the power of the headshakes. As I maneuvered through the lobster buoys I was very thankful I decided to install my revo drive after stowing my SUP paddle. Without the ability to peddle and steer while fighting my bottom dwelling monster I would likely not have landed this beast. As I pulled it into my yak I knew it was big but I did realize the length until I stood-up for this classic photo by Kirk Albrektson who just happened to be out on his Parker with two sons and a great 35mm digital camera. As soon as I secured my fish clips I cut all the gills of this beast as my wife had been suggesting that a Holiday party would be nice to host before Christmas. When I e-mailed Ed Zielralski about my catch I wrote that the fish weighed 55 pounds which I thought was obviously a rounded up estimate as I did mentioned the fact that I bleed the fish prior to weighing it on the beach with my Salter Brecknell. The beach weight showed 52.1 and I guess a fisherman on the beach noted the scale reading as Ed got some flake about the 55 pounds he posted on the SD Union Facebook page prior to his article that noted the 52.1 in print that Friday. I still contest that the 55 pounds is a more accurate weight than the beach weight. After cutting the gills and securing the fish I sent down my last squid and hooked a 80 pound BSB that took 30 minutes to land and revive. A dozen of these “endangered species” were landed that morning.>>

Name:  YTFISHup.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  48.2 KB

I ended 2011 with some rockfish and Sheepshead landed at Kevin Nikada’s kelp spot that also yielded a 100 pound Black Seabass for Kevin. Sea Samurai Kayak Tours is a great way to enjoy the local and learn some new techniques.

Name:  HeadBlade_LogoB_2011.png
Views: 2080
Size:  49.4 KB>
Attached Images

Last edited by kurtman; 03-19-2012 at 07:31 PM.
kurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Carlos Gonzalez

uff awesome pictures, congrats!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Gigafish

Nice fishing portfolio. Epic days, congrats.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Enceladus

Awesome shots! My favorite is the one with your son on your lap. How old was your son when you started taking him out with you?
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Those are some awesome fish!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Those are sum money fish you caught there!

I find it very amusing that there are people who have been reistered with BWE for over 5 years, and their post count is less than 10; some have fewer than that.... Not that it matters. Just pointing out the obvious...
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
Croaker Dave

Thanks for the great fishing stories!
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Yakin

That's not fishin
THATS CATCHIN!!
awesome catch my friend!!!
Yakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
The Freediver

These kinds of posts I really love. I have a 3 year old little girl and another kid on the way. Please God let it be a boy. I imagined how proud you must have been when your son spoke at that meeting and sharing your experiences on the water with him. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
xpresso2am

Those are some great looking fish...but having your boy with you to experience that!! That is just PRICELESS!!! good stuff man!
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
NextBite

Im speechless

I have no clue what to say

WTG! Kurtman
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

WTG Kurt!! that was a fun morning, full lunar eclipse and Cedros sized YT...

But see if I give you bait again!!!

***NOTE - for those of you on the fence about getting a Hobie pro angler, I introduce the "SUP lurk", guaranteed to put more fish in the boat!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
deepdvr

Nice fish Kurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
***NOTE - for those of you on the fence about getting a Hobie pro angler, I introduce the "SUP lurk", guaranteed to put more fish in the boat!

HA!HA!HA! That was an epic morning all around. My favorite part was you hiding that huge bendo from Trompas and company as they were motoring away. As soon as the flotilla left, it was ON!

Too bad you didn't get a certified weight Kurt.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
roadx

nice fish!

HoMo said What!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
kurtman
Junior

The next generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freediver View Post
These kinds of posts I really love. I have a 3 year old little girl and another kid on the way. Please God let it be a boy. I imagined how proud you must have been when your son spoke at that meeting and sharing your experiences on the water with him. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
I tried to post my son's picture from the LAX meeting again but even with two screen names I still was shut out. I'll try agin under Kurtfish. My daughter came out and enjoyed catching Macs. We sang about whales and Yellowtial and she danced on the back of my PA as we trolled her Macs behind. No big fish that day but great memories. So many influences to scare kids away from enjoying our incredbilbe ocean environment, the Jaws Syndrome.

Try to get your kids out before they get too old and develop fears from socieity telling them things are scary. The PA is a great boat for kids witha 600 pound capacity and the stability for a 200+ guy to stand and hold his 55lb fish our cast an iron it is worth the extra effort in the surf and the truck. Good luck with the one of each, they will likely fight a lot but the unique differences are priceless.

What was the weight on your WSB avatar? It looks like 80 in the photo.
kurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
driftwood

Twice in a life time...very well said!
Especially when life is so short and fishing days are so few. BIG time congrats!

But whats even fewer in life are 50lb YT. Is that a 50lb YT? It looks like it. If you say its 50lbs than i'm sure its 50 lbs. A certified scale would have been a really good idea, just to make it official.

50lb Yellowtails are once in a life time. I would've had it certified even if I had to ice it and weigh it the next day.

Again, congrats!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
The Freediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtman View Post
I tried to post my son's picture from the LAX meeting again but even with two screen names I still was shut out. I'll try agin under Kurtfish. My daughter came out and enjoyed catching Macs. We sang about whales and Yellowtial and she danced on the back of my PA as we trolled her Macs behind. No big fish that day but great memories. So many influences to scare kids away from enjoying our incredbilbe ocean environment, the Jaws Syndrome.

Try to get your kids out before they get too old and develop fears from socieity telling them things are scary. The PA is a great boat for kids witha 600 pound capacity and the stability for a 200+ guy to stand and hold his 55lb fish our cast an iron it is worth the extra effort in the surf and the truck. Good luck with the one of each, they will likely fight a lot but the unique differences are priceless.

What was the weight on your WSB avatar? It looks like 80 in the photo.
I took my wife and daughter out on my boat just last week actually. Faster daddy she kept saying! Makes me proud. I intend on building her a speargun when the time comes. She asks me to take her diving almost daily and watchs my dive videos with me. Helps me vacuum seal fish. One day.

My fish in the avatar is only a 50lbr actually. Just a great pic
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
bigbarrels

very nice those are some hogs
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #19
Regor
Greg

Nice writeup and pics.

Hope to see you at the "Moyer" ( hopefully it is held this year! )
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
NEEFFF

Damn!! looks like u got a year supply of Sushi loll
NEEFFF is offline   Reply With Quote