Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
MKNOTT

I stopped by the shop and checked them out last week and cant wait to try one. I was wondering from Andy's post with pics a few weeks ago about the underside of the stowage areas and rod stowage. You can still stow your rods for big surf days with the compartments. The open too the hull side obviously works and the sealed compartment side gives you enough bottom clearance room to slide the tips back. While I was sitting in the boat on the lawn like a little kid waiting for a stranger to put a quarter in the horsey ride in front of Kmart I also realized how much easier it is to open the hinged compartments. No more undoing hatch covers, moving them out of the way and then reseating them and reclamping. That is worth alot right there.

MKNOTT

Soo uhhh,,, can I borow one.

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
ElectroMike

Dady Like!
ElectroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Slay Rider

The evolution continues. Nicely done.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
red sled
Junior

Thank you for the review and pictures.

Can you share more information on bounce ball fishing technique?
red sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
DaGoose
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sled View Post

Red Sled,

All I can say is just do it..........slow trolling the bottom in stealth mode will whack the flatties. And you don't need bait. There's some good info out there but most is a retread of folks that don't do it much.

Will gladly help out however possible.

My website is www.bestofbiggame.com.

Tight Lines,

Rick
DaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Looks great Brent!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Rolo
Junior

The review mention that the bait tank hatch seal worked pretty good. Do you think this seal would be water tight if the space was used for dry storage? Does the seal need to be fine tuned? Anyway.. great review and great looking yaks! This has got the wheels turning in my head. How do you hide a 14 foot kayak so your wife doesn't know you bought another yak?

Rolo
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
anjcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
The review mention that the bait tank hatch seal worked pretty good. Do you think this seal would be water tight if the space was used for dry storage? Does the seal need to be fine tuned? Anyway.. great review and great looking yaks! This has got the wheels turning in my head. How do you hide a 14 foot kayak so your wife doesn't know you bought another yak?

Rolo
If you can hide then lie, Just won from BWE tourney
anjcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Siebler

Quote:
The review mention that the bait tank hatch seal worked pretty good. Do you think this seal would be water tight if the space was used for dry storage? Does the seal need to be fine tuned?

Rolo

Overall it is pretty watertight. The problem is that it is only held down on the 2 ends, there are no latches on the sides of the hatch cover.

I just wouldnt put anything in there that would be broken if it got wet. But you want to do this with any hatch. Always use Dry Boxes or Bags when something MUST stay 100% dry.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sled View Post

Masta Da Goose has said it the best - ball bouncing is simply slow trolling the lower water column. It is mostly done with the heavy led ball, 1lbs +, depending on the depth, or a current. You then may have dodger (not a flasher, ask Rick ) to give proper irresistible action to your favorite artificial lure (or live bait). You may not have the dodger at all, in the past I've been mostly doing it without a dodger (I would quickly get frustrated with the tangles). I believe there's something to be said about that thump of a led ball, ringing dinner bell for halibut. I'll try to write up some more about ball bouncing as I get more time to actually do it, hopefully hang some brown.

Don't miss Rick's article - http://www.bestofbiggame.com/BounceballTips.html

Quote:

Rolo
The hatch really seemed to seal pretty good. I had the tank full of water and bait, and I was intentionally rocking the boat to see if the water would be leaking on the sides. You ought to be able to use it for a dry storage, but I would still keep the water sensitive stuff in the dry bag, just like you would do in any other kayak hatch.

BTW, this was my catch that day...

full moon + high tides = back bay clean up, all sorts of crap floating.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

I picked up my first Stealth 14 yesterday from Malibu Kayaks for OEX Sunset Beach and am rigging inside today because of the rain. Here is a view of the pump set up from inside the hull.

Want to see one up close, stop on by. Next week I hope to have the Stealth 12 as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

That is a NICE thru hull design, I like it, no mas dragging around that bilge pump, snagging kelp, etc...!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

and yet another use for the Stealth tank. I think it will make a great live well for bass tourneys as well.

BTW I have both models as I picked up the Stealth 12 today

Old 01-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Kippers
Junior

After much research, I'd settled on the Malibu X13. Now, the Stealth is a major contender...BUT, I don't see a 'Package' deal with the Stealth yet. Will there be one? Gotta have the help since I'm new and I've never rigged before.
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
bigbarrels

Trade?

Willing to trade my Xfactor for your Stealth 14 Let me know! Seems like a sweet deal.....for me anyways

Last edited by bigbarrels; 02-23-2009 at 11:01 AM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malibu stealth 12, malibu stealth 14, malibu stealth-12, malibu stealth-14, review