Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Advise on FF/GPS

Can anyone give their input on a good FF/GPS unit to sit upon a Yak, which to buy, or which to stay away from. I dont want to spend any more than I must. Thanks in advance.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Jzo

I haven't used ff with gps. But most popular ff co. seems to be Humminbird, Lawrence, Garmin, and Eagle. I use Garmin 140 which is without gps, like it very much, works for me. I kind of regret that I didnt get the Garmin 160c which is color one but don't regret not having gps. Personally I havent had the need for gps at this time.

FF with GPS: Lowrance HDS 5 seems to be a popular choice.

Last edited by Jzo; 09-17-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

While GPS on a FF is probably a great feature, it adds a lot to the cost of the unit. If I were in the market for a new FF, I would spend that money on a better image or color.

If you want GPS and have an iPhone or one of the other Android smart phones, the Navionics Marine app is $10 and works quite well. Check it out here.
http://www.navionics.com/NavionicsMobile.asp

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
BTF_David

One feature that having a GPS built into your sounder that was very valuable on a boat is the ability to scroll back into your sounder's scan history and mark structure... ridges, holes, dropoffs, etc

Then the GPS will take you directly over those mark points. You can set up drifts to pull up fish every time you're over that structure.

With the maneuverability of a kayak and the slowness of it, this feature may be less important. But it would still be nice to have IMHO. Takes the guesswork out of trying to get back to the structure you see on the sounder screen.

Just something to keep in mind and why having the two unit integrated is better than having a separate device for each. From what I've seen...the integration adds about $100-150 to the price.
BTF_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Kaijuu
"Floater"

Eagle cuda 350s

Anybody have any experience with a Eagle cuda 350s FF/GPS?
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

The Cuda 350s are what we sell at OEX, they are slick combo units that hold up well to the kayak environment.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
deepdvr

West Marine has a deal on a Garmin GPS Map. Not sure the exact model 441/448 ??? Regular price $539 on sale for $439. Twice the money than the Cuda 350 but more than twice the finder/gps.

I've used the Cuda 300 without GPS and it works, but its very basic.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote