Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Poxy Boggards

Adding a trolling motor to my Revo

What's up BWE,

I am interested in adding a trolling motor to my Revo, and wanted to see if anyone else has been sucessful adding a trolling motor to your Mirage Drive Yak.

I'd love to get the new one that attaches straight to the rudder, but the price tag on that one is way to steep.

I saw a guy at Irvine a couple weeks back who had a trolling motor mounted where the Mirage Drive usually goes. He had taken a wood block and shaped it just like the plastic plug that covers the mirage drive opening. He said he just keeps the trolling motor pointing straight and uses his rudder to steer.

Anyone do this type of mod before? I'd love to be able to troll all day and not feel like my knees are going to drop off of my body the next couple of days. I'd love to see some pics and hear some practical advice on how you acomplished your trolling motor addition. Any pitfalls that I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance!
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Yes

keep in mind once you put a motor on it CF #'s are required.

http://stripedbassobsession.usersboa...g-motor-hookup

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...o-Motor/Detail

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...Emotion/Detail

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

DC1983 put a trolling motor on his stealth but he didnt like it cuz it got stuck in kelp where he fished and landing was harder. Give him a pm maybe he can help you out.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
danjor

If you put a trolling motor on check out the LiFePo4 battery's. They are a little pricey but they are worth it. Extremely light weight compared to lead, there safer, no voltage sag and there rated for over 1k discharge cycles so in the long run there cheaper than lead. I got a 100ah with protection circuity and charger shipped for $800 from batteryspace.com that battery will give the same use able power as 3 55ah deep cycles with only 1/2 the weight of one deep cycle
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
dc1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
DC1983 put a trolling motor on his stealth but he didnt like it cuz it got stuck in kelp where he fished and landing was harder. Give him a pm maybe he can help you out.
Funny thing I'm a little tipsy and wrote pretty much the samething then deleted it cause I was a little tipsy.

Anyway, I put a Trolling motor on my stealth then sold it cause of previously mentioned reasons. There is a lot that goes with the trolling motor like putting it on the kayak before launch and taking it off after your done.

If you do put it on and have questions hit me up ill answer what I can.

David

Last edited by dc1983; 01-03-2013 at 04:45 PM.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
TJones

ive been successful

have torqeedo. paid couple grand. less than 30 hours on motor . yours if you want it . asking 650. it can run about 4 -5 mph
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1983 View Post
Funny thing I'm a little tipsy and wrote pretty much the samething then deleted it cause I was a little tipsy.

Anyway, I put a Trolling motor on my stealth then sold it cause of previously mentioned reasons. There is a lot that goes with the trolling motor like putting it on the kayak before launch and taking it off after your done.

If you do put it on and have questions hit me up ill answer what I can.

David
Lol just dont drive.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
fishingfiend

Check out this very simple way to add a trolling motor mount. I think this guy nailed it for low thrust applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07f-O...ature=youtu.be
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Poxy Boggards

Thanks for the replies guys! I do like the drop in design, but I am really leaning toward this type of set up so that I can keep the steering and controls in front of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmiQL...layer_embedded#
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Jfish36

I like the drop in design. Does anyone know if is hard to get it register with DMV?thanks
Jfish36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Poxy Boggards

Pretty easy registration, you just need your hull number and a sale price of the vessel if it's the first time it is being registered.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
Pretty easy registration, you just need your hull number and a sale price of the vessel if it's the first time it is being registered.
X2, i had to get Cf #'s for power boats over the years, not a big deal really.
Found these two posts that reference getting numbers for powered kayaks.

02-07-2011, 03:14 PM
I found the registration process was actually quite easy. I called Malibu Kayaks and they sent me a bill of sale (even though I'd bought it used). I took that and the hull ID to the AAA and they processed the registration for $20, gave me a CF number and the stickers.

Getting the registration tags to stick to the rough plastic surface of my kayak -- that was the hard part!
Atlantean
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I found the registration process was actually quite easy. I called Malibu Kayaks and they sent me a bill of sale (even though I'd bought it used). I took that and the hull ID to the AAA and they processed the registration for $20, gave me a CF number and the stickers.

Getting the registration tags to stick to the rough plastic surface of my kayak -- that was the hard part!

Well you still had a process to register it. Also AAA is a membership requirement. Imagine the DMV knucleheads trying to register this when they only deal with boats. Then you have registration bills coming in the mail even if you are not running the motor anymore.

Yeah, almost nothing sticks to the yak. I put my sticker under the clear map flap on my crate jr. Very handy. And I don't have to display an old tag if I am running with just a paddle.

Hobie is still my recommendation.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
OUTBACK SPECIAL

Bassyaks

BassYaks has it down pat.
OUTBACK SPECIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Jfish36

Does anyone have a hobie cassette plug they don't use? Thanks
Jfish36 is offline   Reply With Quote