Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
BTF_David

I haven't seen a topic like this so I thought I would start one. Since we all have mini computers we call mobile phones, I figure we can share what apps or creative uses we have for it when used in conjunction with kayak fishing or even fishing in general.

I have an iPhone so I'll share my experiences related to that. Though some of the apps I mention may have Android versions if that is your flavor.

For the iPhone, I have a few apps that I find useful before the trip. Tide tracker, moon phases as well as fishing calendar.

FishCal is an app that allows you to document your catches as well as check the fishing "efficiency" of any given day.

For those of us who became dads and haven't been on the water recently, having a knot reference to refresh ourselves on whether a double uni or a blood knot is better for tying braid to mono. I use a nice app call FishingKnots for that.

A screenshot from FishCal on the left, and an example of FishingKnots on the right. The animated video in the FishingKnots makes learning how to tie the knot much simpler.

Since kayak fishing is also a form of fitness, I usually have RunKeeper enabled to track my paddling activity. After the activity, you can sync your progress to their website where you can share with others.

Here's one I did when I kayak Dana Harbor for the first time last month:
http://runkeeper.com/user/davidmai/activity/16104487

Another app I used for mountain biking that I will start using for kayaking is Everytrail. I heard it's a bit buggy for the iOS4, so I'll hold off on that for now. The reason I may switch to that instead of Runkeeper is while Runkeeper is more to track your fitness pace and calorie burn, Everytrail does a better job of tracking your path, route and particularly, the ability to take geotag pictures that overlays on your activity map at the point the photo was taken. Pretty cool.

Since we are using our mobile devices on the kayak, I keep things dry using Drycase. Using your mouth, you can vacuum seal the pouch, keeping the device not only dry, but also allow you to use the touchscreen. With the vacuum, you can always tell if the pouch is not sealed properly versus other manufacturer's waterproof case. I never had an issue with their vacuum sealing, but it's nice to be able to tell if the case sprung a leak.

Drycase allows you to use a waterproof headset or bluetooth headset to stay in contact with your fishing buddies who will inevitably call you to check the fishing report. Usually right as you're fighting a fish.

The Drycase comes with an neoprene/velcro arm band that I actually use to strap the device to my thigh. That sets the device in the perfect location to use. For those of you with bigger thighs, you may want to add a velcro extension or buy their waist belt.

Lastly, social apps like Loopt and others allow you to share your exact location with friends who may join you after work when you have already launched. Using the built in GPS, it will allow them to find out exactly where you are without the annoyance of trying to verbally tell them while bobbing at sea.

I found a fishing social site that I haven't explored yet but will give a try. AnglerSocial.com and the accompanying iPhone app.

One of these days, I want to purchase Navionics and give that a try.

Anyways, let us know if you have any personal use for your mobile devices while on the water or fishing.[/QUOTE]
BTF_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #22
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

gps should not be effected by fog... the electromagnetic wave pass right through.

The navionics app is sickening.....anyone know how to plot point or your favorite spot on it. I had a list a while ago of all the offshore spots and couldn't store those waypoints..

Little help?
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #23
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF_David View Post
I haven't seen a topic like this so I thought I would start one.
?????

Looks a lot like post#1 to me.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #24
kareem korn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF_David View Post
I believe Navionics for iPhone is also $10 like the Droid version.

Great now it's $13.90. I'm installing it right now for the Droid.

Any more apps for the droid I can use for fishing and navagation plotting?
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
BTF_David

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
?????

Looks a lot like post#1 to me.
I wasn't able to edit post #1 to update the photo links and received a few private message asking about them. So I reposted post #1 with updated photo link. That's why the info are the same and the text, verbatim.
BTF_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #26
Regor
Greg

Does the Navionics map overlay include depth, including the Bays and Channels? Their site doesn't really give a lot of screen shots to evaluate.

Sure, I've got a FF telling me my depth when out there, just thinking it might be nice to know the depth if I'm targeting a specific area. ( hooping and amount of rope required, and how tired I can expect to be from pulling in an area that may be 75' deeper than I thought
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #27
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Does the Navionics map overlay include depth, including the Bays and Channels? Their site doesn't really give a lot of screen shots to evaluate.

Sure, I've got a FF telling me my depth when out there, just thinking it might be nice to know the depth if I'm targeting a specific area. ( hooping and amount of rope required, and how tired I can expect to be from pulling in an area that may be 75' deeper than I thought
The Navonics map shows depth contours but not a great amount of detail. I do not find this feature to be particularly useful. It does a good job of tracking your position on the map, however.

The most useful feature for me is the ability to mark way points. You can even take a photo of a fish caught in a particular place and that becomes a way point. You can then use the app to guide yourself back to that way point on a future trip.

This app is certainly harder to use than a good GPS or fishfinder/GPS combo but for less than $15 it is hard to beat.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote