Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #1
User name

Sewer Suprise

Got to Cabrillo at 7:00am and the fog was thick. I fished plastics for an hour near the launch while I waited for the fog to burn off. Once visibility improved I headed towards the pier/breakwall because it still wasn’t completely safe in the middle of the harbor. Bait was nowhere to be found so I put a frozen squid on the halibut rig. After fishing ¾ of the breakwall something hit my bait hard and took off. At first I thought it was a dog but after feeling how smooth the runs were I knew it wasn’t. Then its tail breached the surface and I knew exactly what it was; my first thresher shark! After 3-4 runs it started to lose strength. Wanting to play it safe, I let it take line and would reel it back in until it pretty much floated to the boat. After about 5 minutes of trying to remove the hooks and thirty seconds for the photo shoot, it was free and safely on its way back down. I did end up catching some greenbacks but stuck with the squid for the rest of the day.
 photo 20161105_082603_zpsh1brx8i4.jpg
 photo 20161105_091840_zps2wd2jlou.jpg
 photo 20161105_091850_zpseqvdbjz3.jpg
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
King Saba

I bet the fight must of been an adrenaline rush. The fog was super thick on Saturday. Definitely made paddling around sketchy.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_9C1

Awesome catch!! Glad to see the thrashers are around.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
ultimatejay

What day was this? 4 of us were out there on a Sunday and bait was everywhere but no Butts or thresher. My son and I caught several nice bass, Bonita and like 100 mackerel- seriously
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
User name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejay View Post
What day was this? 4 of us were out there on a Sunday and bait was everywhere but no Butts or thresher. My son and I caught several nice bass, Bonita and like 100 mackerel- seriously
This was on Saturday. To be honest I didn't put much effort into making bait after my catch. I was planning on targeting bonita and halibut but figured I would stick to the squid.
Also on Saturday i only saw a couple of schools and nothing other than the thresher touched the squid. The fog may have affected the bite.
User name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
TJones

Well done,

Well done. Looks like brother of the one I hooked couple months ago . I might not have shown the same mercy, if not have been for him shaking the hook. Gook looking out.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:30 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Ate some thrasher shark last night....

Cooked on the BBQ with butter and garlic salt topped with thousands island dressing unbelievable good....congratulations to you playing it smart payed off big time