Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Hook Em & Cook Em May Submissions

Hook Em and Cook Em May Submissions

Post em here. Must have 1 photo showing what you harvested, also must show at least a part of your kayak. Second photo is what you prepared. Aside from the 2 required photos you can add whatever you want, video, recipe, story behind the catch or the dish. These have to be current to the month of May.

This goes through the end of the last day of April and voting will follow from June 1-3. Winner will be announced June 3rd at 10PM.You can only win this contest one time, but within the month you can submit as many times as you like. Raise the bar, then raise it again!

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 06-02-2014 at 09:56 AM.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

What do you make after eating sea food 5 days in a row..........

I don't usually get too intricate with my fish, simply grilled or fried, the sides are usually what elevate the meal, some time Mexican influence, sometimes Italian

panko crusted grouper with aioli, roasted asparagus, pine nuts, lemon zest and tomatoes, fettuccine alfredo (tons o butter and Parmesan melted ) with some pesto mixed in the sauce and garlic bread.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
momo fish

Ummm your in the wrong business. Restaurant is more suited for your skills !
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
FISH11

Looks like you waited to make that dish at home, instead of over an open fire in Baja. Looks great and I bet it taste equally good. Thanks for sharing Andy.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
Deamon

Okay, my fish was a day old, butt...

Ceviche for everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page 1 (3).jpg (96.4 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Page 4 (2).jpg (109.7 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg Page 1 (7).jpg (56.1 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by Deamon; 05-27-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
jorluivil

save me some!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
JeffB

Mmmmmmm..... Halibut Ceviche! I'm thawing out a big steak as we speak, you talked me into it!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
ctfphoto

Yellowtail Rolls

Thursday May 15th was a perfect day in La Jolla, the nicest I have ever seen it. Got a fantastic parking spot super close to the bathroom launch. Launched at 12 Noon. The water was turquoise with zero swell and no wind. It looked like Hawaii. 100 degree weather. There was also a nice current going on as the kelp was lying down sideways all afternoon. Plus a Full Moon. Absolutely perfect conditions after the intense winds and fires that raged in San Diego County. The Lakeside fire came within 1/3 of a mile from our place. Thankfully the fire fighters hopped on it and got it out very quickly.

Back to La Jolla, not many people out and the seals were extremely aggressive. I farmed 5 seals who stole my fly lining Greenbacks.

Had to go into the kelp for an hour to make bait since the seals needed their free lunch. I used my No Sabiki Technique™ to catch only the perfect sized Greenbacks.
Came out with some perfect size greenbacks.

Went to start fishing and noticed I was sinking? WTF, I had just read Will's post and think no way. I know my drain plug is in as I have never taken it out. Hmmm, do I have a leak from all those times I landed on the grader launch ramp with all my hoop nets all winter long? I need to see where I am taking water on. Have not done that yet. I started using a large towel to soak up the water in the hull and squeezed it out over and over again. I got back enough floatation and decided to start fishing. No one else was in sight. No seals around. Perfect conditions.

So I chill out figuring the leak is not big enough to sink me and start fishing the perfect conditions. It did not take long. I knew instantly it was a yellowtail by the way it was running and head shaking. Knew it was a large one as it was peeling line. Seemed bigger than the big ones I caught last summer. Started the sleigh ride and thought "perfect., open water good to go". Took a ride for about five minutes and then the large fish found some kelp and found it good. Dang. I lost one last summer in the kelp. I also freed one, so I was at 50/50.

He was in there good. I'm thinking omg, I just lost a huge yellow and the first one for me this year. For the first 10 minutes, I thought I could feel him on there. After about 20 minutes stuck in the kelp I couldn't feel him and thought all was lost. I did let slack out and then crack it in over and over trying to cut through the kelp to no avail. I finally said F it and went to strategy number two. I got out my water bottle and start wrapping the braid around it until it got tighter and tighter. Pull hard, then let slack, pulled hard let slack again. Over and over again. Finally I felt the pop and figured well at least I had one. Started reeling in and then I felt dead weight (no fight at all) like a large fish. And almost instantly I saw color …… YES……………..

He came up sideways as he was more tired than I was. The bled out fish came in right at 30 pounds which makes him a Personal Best. Hooked up at about 5 PM. Landed before sunset to bay like conditions with zero chance of flipping.

Looks like it will be an awesome year for fishing ……..

After I filet the Yellowtail, I also go in and cut out all the scraps to the bone and smoke them ….

Now for a very delicious recipe …….

Yellowtail Rolls

I like to experiment and this a first try so I had 4 different fillings for the rolls

1) Polish Sausage Bacon Pineapple Sharp Cheddar Cilantro

2) Lobster Bacon Sharp Cheddar Cilantro

3) Guacamole Bacon Cilantro

4) Bacon Sharp Cheddar

After preparing the filling, I cut the fillet very thin and sprinkled some lime and soy sauce on them ….

I then stuff the thinly sliced yellowtail and use tooth picks to keep them together …

I had no idea how they would grill up but they did just fine.

Very delicious ….

You must try some version of this as the taste is fantastic. I also did one half guacamole and half polish sausage mix and that was my favorite, um maybe the straight guacamole was, didn't get to the bacon cheddar as my daughter inhaled those.

………………..

After I got home, I wanted to find out where the leak came from. Filled up the kayak with water and the stern started leaking. Checked it out and my stern was ground down and very weak in two spots and leaking. Most of the wear came from numerous hoop netting trips where I use a grader launch ramp. A forum member PM'd me on how to fix it via plastic welding and I thank him very much for the tip.

Now for Kayak Welding 101 ….. This is my first time trying this and it is surprisingly easy….

I didn't have any kayak cutouts so I used a Folgers Can and it worked fantastic. Built up my stern close to a half inch. Came out better than expected and is water tight.

Tight Lines, Chris

Last edited by ctfphoto; 05-28-2014 at 08:38 AM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
kauaiboy04

man, all this food makes me hungry! onolecious!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
sharonkayak

Yellowtail poke

One of my favorite dishes

First you
Need to catch a yellowtail this one took me a full ten hour day to catch.

I use the best cuts the sushi grade parts of the fish

Ingredients:

Yellowtail cubed
Soy sauce
Chili garlic sauce
Sesame seed oil
Garlic powder
Sesame seeds
Green onions
Seaweed
Avocado
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.4 KB, 188 views)
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
sharonkayak

Here's the dish

Yellowtail poke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.8 KB, 177 views)
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
captnblood34

Chris killing it! Need to get out there with you again, maybe later this summer. I'm digging the rolls too man, first UNIQUE dish I've seen on here, and best yet!

J
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #13
FISH11

Congratulation Sharon on the great catch and for sharing your recipe. It was nice meeting you. I talked to you as you were coming back just outside the kelp. I saw you keep going out further and further from the spots I kept working. So I know how hard you worked for it. That was a lot of peddaling. Tight Lines, Mark

Last edited by FISH11; 05-28-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: sign out
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
FISH11

Thanks for sharing your recipe Chris. It was nice meeting you yesterday morning at the launch. When you said you had been having Yellowtail for dinner I had no idea well prepared it was. I got hungry just looking at the pictures. Tight Lines, Mark ………PS: You where right about the best best fisherman, I met her on her way back in with a super catch.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
ctfphoto

Nice fish Sharon, all your time paid off.

Captn, Thanks man and lets fish anytime. Your yellowtail was the first large fish that I had ever gaffed, thanks for the practice

Mark, nice meeting you and I hope you had a great time out in the Jewel. Thank you for the nice comments and I will see you out there
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
Caseym

Sharon, your YT has "angry" eyebrows!
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote