Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #21
GregAndrew

MrGregAndrew on YouTube
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:58 AM   #22
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Before even trying the wire, I replaced it with braid. The wire it comes with only is about 80' long. The hum is coming from the stretched braid vibrating, which the wire would probably not be as prone to? Unlike what most people might think, sound does not seem to be a big factor to fish. Because it travels faster and further under water, they are bombarded with it almost always.
Cannon wire is coated and was much noisier than braid on a Downrigger. My Braid is near silent, the 2ft piece of mono between my weight and release clip does hum. The Scotty DR is nice and compact, but I prefer a Cannon. I can lower or raise it with one hand, the line won't jump the spool in a swell which has happened to me with the Scotty, and 2ft per crank is nice. Evidently, the steady hum of the DR does not seem to bother the WSB and the direction of sound in water is hard to distinguish due to its speed of travel. That said, I thought that one of the reasons you use a paddle kayak is because it can be stealthier than a mirage drive.
As a kid, the Redondo Special was known as the WSB 1/2 day boat because it had a quieter generator. When targeting WSB Capt. Mueller would tell the passengers to avoid unnecessary noises. The City of Redondo seemed to catch less WSB but made up for it with Yellowtail. Some fish are less sensitive to noise. If noise is more constant of a lower volume, it seems more tolerable -- Like the hum of your DR, or the sound of my live well pump as opposed to the sound of a 6-71 diesel engaging in and out of gear. Sometimes the fish I am metering on a wreck will disappear when a charter boat pulls up. Florida Mutton Snappers are sensitive to the sound of a sinker hitting the bottom hard.

Quote:
Generally I like to keep between .7 and 1 mph, which would be more of a drift than a troll. Enough to keep my bait moving, cover ground and keep the setup from getting vertical and spinning. Direction and speed of the current relative to my direction will sometimes change things up a bit.
GTK, I will try similarly(maybe get some video of triggerfish eating my bait).

Quote:
I was getting too many false releases from the line run directly through the release clip. Each false release means cranking it all back up and resetting.
That can be a royal PITA. One of the reasons I opted to use a Black's clip was an adjustable tension knob. After looking closer at the Scotty, noticed its tension can also be adjusted, and there are other pinch clips with more variable tension settings on Amazon. Now I need to try some different clips!

Quote:
I am running an 8oz sinker almost always. It has to provide enough drag to keep my large baits from swimming around my camera rig. Ideally I would fish longer sinker leaders, but conditions dont allow for that very often. Between the bottom structure and the lack of average visibility, my hands are kinda tied. I could raise it up, but then reviewing the video seeing only the bait for hours on end would be tough to swallow.
GTK -- will start out with 8oz. The short leader seems like it would be a must anywhere to hopefully get some good video. Curious as to what resolution you shoot in and if you have a lighting(ISO) setting? Editing software that offers fast viewing speeds for sifting through hours of video to find the strike clip is helpful.

Quote:
You also hit upon the other reason I use the clip (see pic, plastic removed) in the release clip. I can drop my bait down first and lower my camera to it. I don't have to lower them both at the same time.
That's helpful as the Scotty almost needs a second hand for setting the adjustment break. Lowering the DR down until it meets the 8oz sinker and then winding it back up a few cranks without tangles and confident that it has a good view angle seems like something that will take some trials. Using the sinker slide prevents the rod from being loaded down by the DR weight. That's contrary to how most DR's are rigged, but no reason to change something that's working.

I appreciate the feedback and thanks for the inspiration -- Bell rung, liked and subscribed to your youtube channel.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #23
JJ

This is fantastic
Greg, I've been trying to watch this video on Rumble for so long.
Every time I pull it up, the app shuts off on me.
Same this happened when I tried hitting the "follow" button.
Glad I found it here.
Definitely worth the wait.

Cheers!

-JJ-
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote