Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
j mo

Something different

I thought Id share some pictures from my trip to Sandwich Massachusetts last week. The fishing turned out to be epic by my standards: I got to see my 3y old co-pilot get his 1st, 2nd and 3rd bass from a kayak. We got into plenty striped bass and blue fish too which is somewhat rare for this creek. I also got hooked up with two Hobie demos from John at Sturgis Boatworks in Yarmouth which made fishing the big tidal swings a breeze.

This is Sandwich Creek,
Name:  IMG_1399.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  42.2 KB
during high tide the striped bass come in looking for a meal, the schoolies will work bait up these inlets to feed and all you’d have to do was look out for the birds and you’d know which inlet to fish in.
Name:  IMG_0550.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  46.2 KBName:  IMG_0552.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  54.9 KB
If the birds were out you could toss a small popper up these narrow canals and pick up schoolies on nearly every cast. Here are a few of the numerous schoolies we caught,
Name:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  48.2 KBName:  IMG_0561.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  56.9 KB
most ranged in the 20-25” inch range biggest one went 38” to my uncle who is the fishiest guy you’ll ever meet.

The tide was drastic; you’d have about a four hour window to fish, 2 hrs prior to slack and 2 hrs after. At low tide many of these inlets would be dry.
This is where we’d bait up prior to pedaling up current and drifting “the grounds” where the bigger models lurked.
Name:  IMG_1401.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  68.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0558.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  52.4 KB
here is the same view at low tide
Name:  IMG_1430.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  44.6 KB
This is the only fish we kept, my sons 31 incher!
Name:  IMG_0568.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  55.8 KB
One of the days we saw birds working far down the creek so we went to have a look. Turned out to be a thick school of blue fish. Hands down, pound for pound one of the best game fish you’d want to catch. Like a yellowtail with teeth and capable of making blistering long runs and many of them would breech fully out of the water 3-4 times.
Name:  IMG_1406.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  49.1 KB
The light tackle we were using made it that much more fun. The only problem was without a steel leader we were loosing metal left and right and the plastic I had came back shredded after one fish

Good times were had....

Last edited by j mo; 09-18-2010 at 08:08 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote