Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
Hunters Pa

Dana or Cabrillo 2/15

Looks like I got the kitchen pass and will be able to get on the water tomorrow morning. Anyone else heading out?

Need to get over to West Marine for a new VHF today. Then will be on 71 or 69.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Hunters Pa

Looks like both barges have chovies - was hoping for sardines. Guess I'll be working the sabiki as well.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
45user

Where do you launch at cabrillo? I will be going out on Sunday afternoon for some hooping and Hali
Thinking about DP but never tried cabrillo and it's closer
Thank you for your help!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Would use the boat ramp at either Cabrillo or Dana. Set up in the parking lot and wheel over to the ramp
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #5
jorluivil

Don't bother with the chovies, you'll end up with to much bycatch. However, if you decide to get some use them to catch lizard fish, macs or smelt and pins those bad boys on. I am now a fan of the bigger baits(9inches +), I will even use baits that as long as or longer than 12inches. Another option is to head to mouth and looks for balls of bait but be careful, lots of boat traffic comes through Angel Gate. I'm working graveyard tonight so I can't fish tomorrow if not I'm join you guys.............good luck!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 02-14-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: because greg made me do it
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
45user

Does it get windy in the afternoon at cabrillo usually?
Thank you!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
Thank you!
The forecast for tomorrow looks pretty good

7am - 1mph
10am - 3mph
1pm - 9mph

There is a huge tide swing tomorrow with high tide at 9am, I'm guessing fishing should be good from 7-8am and again from 10-11am.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/s...abrillo_marina

http://www.windfinder.com/tide/san_p...abrillo_marina

Old 02-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
Thank you!
Yes, it usually gets very windy in the afternoon. If your not a strong paddler, you should stay close to the launch. Otherwise it's a pain in the ass to get back.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
45user

Thank you!
I'm going out on twilight native sun so planning on going Sunday afternoon
Probably we will head to Dana point as my friend really want to try hoop net before season ends
When is your next outing going to be?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #10
Hunters Pa

It's hard for me to escape the asylum without setting off the alarms so it is hit & miss. I try to post before going to see who else will be out. I am a novice at Dana and far from an authority at Cabrillo, but always welcome company
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

We're always fishing Saturday or sunday or sometimes both. Location can vary with weather, time of year, bait situation, launch conditions, current bite, swell...etc..
Old 02-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
We're always fishing Saturday or sunday or sometimes both. Location can vary with weather, time of year, bait situation, launch conditions, current bite, swell...etc..

And of course whether or not Busy Bee is open

Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Casey

Let me know if your fishing hooping out of Dana Point. I might want to go. That's my local spot.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Let me know if your fishing hooping out of Dana Point. I might want to go. That's my local spot.
I will be out on Sunday afternoon. Planning to be on the water by 4pm with my friend, staying until around 8pm
Launching from boat launch
Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Casey

Hooping right?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Hooping right?
Yup hooping and some fishing
Old 02-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #17
Casey

I've Got a ton of bait....
Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i'll be launching the boston whaler from the queen mary launch ramp at around 4pm. if i see a yak anywhere nearby, i'll holler you guys over to get a taste of the honey hole since the bug season is about to close in a month.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
i'll be launching the boston whaler from the queen mary launch ramp at around 4pm. if i see a yak anywhere nearby, i'll holler you guys over to get a taste of the honey hole since the bug season is about to close in a month.
Thank you!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
Hunters Pa

Got a later start than planned, on the water shortly after 8. Was clear when I got there, then foggy, then clear, then fog, . Barge only had chovies so I decided to pass. Battery on the FF took a dump, despith showing green on the charger last night so I had to choose between ff and bait tank. Went for the ff as today was the first run on the new (to me) Trident and new Lowrance.

Found bait (6-12 inch smelt) pretty easy by the shallow water warning pilons - easy to see the bait balls on the ff. Used the hand pump periodically through the day to keep a couple pieces fresh and lively. Made more easily when needed. Half of them were on the diamond jig (silver flash 4 oz Ahi Assault) on the bottom of the sabiki. They must have been about to spawn, or they were REALLY happy to see me as quite a few milted once on board. Possibly grunion ready for a run??

Worked the upper part of the rise in the bottom (40/60 to 20 feet), dragging a bait out one side and bounceball with blue/white/silver hoochie out the other. Periodically getting hung up in the salad (pointers/suggestions welcome!!!!). Worked it until about 1:00 and the battery I moved from the tank to the ff ran out. Bothe are older batteries, but I may have also been running it with backlight so I could see it easier. Need to spend some more time with the manual.

Should have come in earlier as the wind picked up making it tough going to get back to the launch, especially dodging all the small sailboats out there. Took about 2 hours, or maybe it just seemed like it since I was dragging a bait and every time i got hung up I lost ground fast. No love from anything worth keeping, did get a tomcod on the diamond jig while making bait and a personal best lizard on the paddle in, which was rigged and dropped back down as a hail mary.

Did hook up with an old college fraternity bro in his boat and handed off a sabiki, diamond jig and a couple pieces of bait. He got hit hard on the diamond (4 oz mackeral pattern Assault) but it broke off (knot??)

Tired and sore, but always great to get out on the water. Hopefully a few of you can find a couple nuggets of useful info, and any suggestions on how to avoid the kelp hangups are most welcome.