Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
yaksailor

LaJolla Saturday 5/28

Well, I was expecting mass crowds over the Memorial Day weekend, but it just didn't materialize. Maybe the surf and cold wind had something to do with it.

We stared at the long LJ Shores surf gauntlet for a while...thinking about some Plan B's. After planning this trip for weeks, I decided that we were going to fish LJ. It wasn't very comforting to see the guy before us get his access denied, big time.

First, we got Austin out, through the zone; wet, but plastic-side-down. I paddled through the end of the same lull. Soaked, but upright.

We went to the zone, which was pretty much deserted. We yo-yo'd for about an hour and gave up on that. Pedaled to the kelp and caught a couple of Calicos. We were only about 30 yards apart, but there were times when the swells blocked our in-line sight; at which time I called it, and we headed in.

I landed first, almost pearled, leaned back, then flipped around and rode a wave in backwards; never done that before. Austin got pushed into a waved and capsized. Nothing lost, but about a gallon of water gained. This, even after I replaced the gasketing on the front hatch.

Still, fun to get out.

Oh, and on the way in, we saw a guy in a Hobie PRO ANGLER that made it out with only an oar with one paddle on it! How he made it through that mess, I'll never know.

yaksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post

Pedaled to the kelp and caught a couple of Calicos. We were only about 30 yards apart, but there were times when the swells blocked our in-line sight; at which time I called it, and we headed in.
Sounds like fun times with those swells, but you did at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksailor View Post

Oh, and on the way in, we saw a guy in a Hobie PRO ANGLER that made it out with only an oar with one paddle on it! How he made it through that mess, I'll never know.
I think we can all guess that it was a certain Halibut bound angler we know

Regor is offline   Reply With Quote